23' Alpe D'Huez Build

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hannawald

by hannawald

I believe it is vice versa, deeper rims/shorter spokes are actually stiffer...unless the rims are weird:)

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

CasualRider

by CasualRider

hannawald wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 7:08 pm
I believe it is vice versa, deeper rims/shorter spokes are actually stiffer...unless the rims are weird:)
Ride both and tell me what you think. In theory yes, in practice power transfer
is better on shallow wheels. Just talking from my experience. I had over 20 wheelsets and currently have 6 (top brands). Power transfer is just better not matter how stiff the weel is on paper.
Tarmac SL8 Maganta Gold
Crux Green Pearl

Previous bikes:
Crux Forest Green
Tarmac SL7 Snake Eye
Venge Bora Team
Venge Purple
Trek Madone SLR 7

Bazzman1968

by Bazzman1968

No worries, that all makes sense, I thought it was a hill climb bike just for the Alpe.

Happy riding.
Baz

Nickldn

by Nickldn

CasualRider wrote:
Fri May 19, 2023 7:59 pm
hannawald wrote:
Ride both and tell me what you think. In theory yes, in practice power transfer
is better on shallow wheels. Just talking from my experience. I had over 20 wheelsets and currently have 6 (top brands). Power transfer is just better not matter how stiff the weel is on paper.
Interesting, I find my 45mm Bora WTOs to be great for power transfer when climbing in Alps, etc. Not the lightest wheelset of course, but great going uphill.

Deeper rims, not so much. I regularly outclimb riders with 60mm+ wheels, they just can't keep up. Descents don't help them.

So yeah, weight is one thing, but stiffness is essential for climbing. Deep and light wheels is not where it's at.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

theyoungconnoisseur

by theyoungconnoisseur

well ordered up regular old school bars and stem. cant find anything to order integrated for it. Just waiting for the frameset to show up at the end of this coming week fingers crossed.

theyoungconnoisseur

by theyoungconnoisseur

finally got the frame in and it looks great. its a lot heavier than claimed tho (see first post for all updated parts pics)
and of course FSA told me to get the incorrect BB & spacers for the crankset so no I have to order and wait for a PF386 BB.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

hannawald wrote:
Normally you are right...
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

g32ecs

by g32ecs

Any update on this?

Ive been responding on ADH threads and I couldnt seem to pull the trigger on it. The frame weight is holding me back. Wasnt expecting an Aethos but I still find it heavy

theyoungconnoisseur

by theyoungconnoisseur

g32ecs wrote:
Sat Jun 24, 2023 5:24 am
Any update on this?

Ive been responding on ADH threads and I couldnt seem to pull the trigger on it. The frame weight is holding me back. Wasnt expecting an Aethos but I still find it heavy
turned out 6.5kg (as manufacture claim method no pedals cages or computer mount) so looks like its the lightest on out there despite it being a colored one and a large. its up for sale completely unridden as unfortunately it is now looking like I am not able to take the rest of the year off to travel overseas and that was the entire point of this bike.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Are you listing it on the classifieds here (For Sale) with pictures so we can see it or going with Pinkbike?
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

AM7Jeremy

by AM7Jeremy

Way better without all the Time decals.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Maybe Time would need to take their technology further, right now they're lagging in terms of weight.
Don't know how the stiffness chart is either compared to the competition!?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.