Kogel Kolossos vs CeramicSpeed OSPW

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

A question regarding the ospw systems, Kogel Kolossos and CeramicSpeed OSPW.
Have anyone tested or perhaps owned both systems?
Kogel claims it's stiffer than competitors which i guess is a real advantage!?
(Less lateral side play)
Part from the so called gains (miniscule), are there any negative side effects like hesitant shifting, overly fast pulley wheel wear, increased noise?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

pushpush

by pushpush

I run a kolossos on my dura ace drivetrain. I'm not in a position to comment with any authority on drivetrain efficiency and watts but I tell you with absolute certainty that it is MUCH quieter than the stock DA cage/pulleys, and the shifting is flawless. Most noise is generated by things rubbing together, so less noise seems like it SHOULD be more efficient, right? :)

I scored mine as an openbox for very cheap. I would do it again in an instant based on my experience so far.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

pushpush wrote:
Mon May 15, 2023 4:39 am
I run a kolossos on my dura ace drivetrain. I'm not in a position to comment with any authority on drivetrain efficiency and watts but I tell you with absolute certainty that it is MUCH quieter than the stock DA cage/pulleys, and the shifting is flawless. Most noise is generated by things rubbing together, so less noise seems like it SHOULD be more efficient, right? :)

I scored mine as an openbox for very cheap. I would do it again in an instant based on my experience so far.
Thanks!
Yeah, the price is obscene. Do you see any benefit at all if you are totally honest?
I tried to get info if the Kogel bearing races are coated/ hardened or not, but no reply.
I think i will ask again.

EDIT: Kogel have hardened races and CS have two versions. Neither coated or hardened (cheaper) and one with coated bearing races (cost more).
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

kode54

by kode54

pushpush wrote:I run a kolossos on my dura ace drivetrain. I'm not in a position to comment with any authority on drivetrain efficiency and watts but I tell you with absolute certainty that it is MUCH quieter than the stock DA cage/pulleys, and the shifting is flawless. Most noise is generated by things rubbing together, so less noise seems like it SHOULD be more efficient, right? :)

Mine is quiet as well. On my other bikes, I used the Kogel oversized pulleys, 12/14T and like that combo. I didn’t have to use a longer chain and fills out the cage much better. Also, the 14T clears the 12-speed nub on the cage so no need to get a new cage.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

Erwin

by Erwin

Mine is good as well. Runs relative quiet on at R9200 drivetrain, quieter than my R9100 with Ceramicspeed OSPW (coated). I can give you more experience, when I build up my other bike with a R9200 DA group. There will be no OSPW, perhaps in future. Then I can give you a better response, but for now everything looks fine and I like the look. Gain 35g compared to the Shimano cage.

Image Image Image Image

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Erwin wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 7:16 am
Mine is good as well. Runs relative quiet on at R9200 drivetrain, quieter than my R9100 with Ceramicspeed OSPW (coated). I can give you more experience, when I build up my other bike with a R9200 DA group. There will be no OSPW, perhaps in future. Then I can give you a better response, but for now everything looks fine and I like the look. Gain 35g compared to the Shimano cage.

Image Image Image Image
Oh yes please do :thumbup:
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

What kind of bike is it going on?

i was looking at one and decided against it.

I can't remember which video it was from, but it was around Kogel being more suited to a casual user with ceramic speed needing alot of upkeep to stay running well.

Ultimately i decided against one because i think they give off alpha male energy :P

Yoln

by Yoln

Given that oversized pulley wheels have been proven time and time again to be useless watts-wise (in any study that was not payed by ceramicspeed), the idea that thinking there is gain between two marginally different OSPW is very mind boggling to me. And don't take me wrong, I love to spend absurd amount of money on bike, but this one is just in a ridiculous league of its own
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Yoln wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 5:15 pm
Given that oversized pulley wheels have been proven time and time again to be useless watts-wise (in any study that was not payed by ceramicspeed), the idea that thinking there is gain between two marginally different OSPW is very mind boggling to me. And don't take me wrong, I love to spend absurd amount of money on bike, but this one is just in a ridiculous league of its own
But it looks like you spent a ton of money on the bike. Bling, amirite?

To get rid of the noise from stock pulley wheels, I did replace the stock pulley wheels with ones from Cbear, which are bigger and continue to spin like crazy after 20,000+ km.

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

Yoln wrote:
realistically, are people buying it for any practical reason?

It's a look. which is totally fine.

Yoln

by Yoln

OP seems pretty serious about it...
Litespeed Gravel Ultimate : https://tinyurl.com/zvxxy8zk
Wilier “Cento Ramato“ : https://tinyurl.com/29vs8vre
#RETIRED# Lynskey “the Do-it-all Helix” 🧬:https://tinyurl.com/bdmb5y24

milanv

by milanv

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 7:29 pm
Yoln wrote:
realistically, are people buying it for any practical reason?

It's a look. which is totally fine.
:thumbup: :beerchug:

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Yeah, i totally admit one thing. It's like 95% curiousity. I remember the first of these systems. It came from Germany. Sadly i don't remember what brand name it was.
I also wouldn't consider the new aero cover/ shield versions. It kind of hides the beauti. What totally makes no sense is the price of the upgrade, which is close to what a new RD cost.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

jih

by jih

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:47 am
What totally makes no sense is the price of the upgrade, which is close to what a new RD cost.
The price is the point. It is a sticker that lets other people know how much you spent. It's functionally and aesthetically equivalent to the fancy logo on an otherwise cheap and ordinary t-shirt.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

jih wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:52 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 8:47 am
What totally makes no sense is the price of the upgrade, which is close to what a new RD cost.
The price is the point. It is a sticker that lets other people know how much you spent. It's functionally and aesthetically equivalent to the fancy logo on an otherwise cheap and ordinary t-shirt.
Well, in that case i would be totally wrong person. Usually i only spend money on things i do believe in.
Most chronical OCD i have would include saddles and handlebar/+ stem.
Both bar and saddle i have searched for possibility to design my own. Sadly i don't handle CAD, which i must send.
Saddle would be Pro Aerofuel with total flat rear end. No tail up (it is in the shell).
Or longer rear end. I think the rear is far to short on saddles. Especially since they more or less angle upwards.
This hinder my need to stretch my back. I've been informed a new Pro Aerofuel was due januari, later postponed to April.
Now there are no signs of this at all. It was from Shimano this info came....
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)