Kogel Kolossos vs CeramicSpeed OSPW

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

whinefields

by whinefields

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 7:29 pm

realistically, are people buying it for any practical reason?

It's a look. which is totally fine.
My SL6 came with the previous generation of Red etap (not AXS), including the short cage derailleur. That meant I was limited to 28 teeth cogs. When I wanted to expand the deailleur's capacity, I found the price of the OSPW to be similar, if not less than, the price of SRAM's medium cage derailleur. So yes, I bought mine purely for practical reasons.

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

whinefields wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 2:17 pm
Bobbyc123 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 7:29 pm

realistically, are people buying it for any practical reason?

It's a look. which is totally fine.
My SL6 came with the previous generation of Red etap (not AXS), including the short cage derailleur. That meant I was limited to 28 teeth cogs. When I wanted to expand the deailleur's capacity, I found the price of the OSPW to be similar, if not less than, the price of SRAM's medium cage derailleur. So yes, I bought mine purely for practical reasons.
it wasn't really was it. you wanted the look of the OSPW, if not you just would have gotten the original SRAM cage. Which is totally fine. Unless you literally don't care or think about how your bike looks.

I was literally up against the same decision as i needed to replace a cage and the coated CP OSPW was the same price as replacing, i decided to get the original cage as i decided against the look of the OSPW.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

sorry straying away from OP now.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 2:30 pm
What did i write that make you feel like that?
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Bobbyc123

by Bobbyc123

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 2:47 pm
Bobbyc123 wrote:
Nothing at all! just thinking the thread might be drifting towards OSPW yes/no rather than Kogel Vs CS

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bobbyc123 wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 3:09 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Bobbyc123 wrote:
Nothing at all! just thinking the thread might be drifting towards OSPW yes/no rather than Kogel Vs CS
Aha, no it's probably Kogel if anything! It's the version that catch my interest the most.
I noted Aliexpress already have a copy..
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Bfriesen

by Bfriesen

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu May 18, 2023 3:14 pm
Bobbyc123 wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:
Bobbyc123 wrote:
Aha, no it's probably Kogel if anything! It's the version that catch my interest the most.
I have the aliexpress copy, running on ultegra r8000. The stock ceramic bearings suck (no seals at all), but I replaced them with decent bearings and have been running it for around 2 years now. No complaints, it was cheap, shifts perfectly and may or may not save any watts. Only issue is any ethical/moral considerations you may have.
2020 Cannondale Supersix
2021 Argon 18 Gallium Disc
2018 Trek Crockett

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bfriesen wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 6:42 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Bobbyc123 wrote:
wheelsONfire wrote:

I have the aliexpress copy, running on ultegra r8000. The stock ceramic bearings suck (no seals at all), but I replaced them with decent bearings and have been running it for around 2 years now. No complaints, it was cheap, shifts perfectly and may or may not save any watts. Only issue is any ethical/moral considerations you may have.
I checked this on sure i could try it. Did you just buy separate bearings and exchanged them?
(you can pm me if you know the size or have some more to say)

I also checked what new pulley wheels cost for Ceramicspeed.
I can get good price at these, both coated and standard.

Not coated 329 Euro
Coated 399 Euro

That is quite horrible.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Bfriesen

by Bfriesen

wheelsONfire wrote:
Mon May 22, 2023 8:22 am
Bfriesen wrote:
Sun May 21, 2023 6:42 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Bobbyc123 wrote:

I checked this on sure i could try it. Did you just buy separate bearings and exchanged them?
(you can pm me if you know the size or have some more to say)

I also checked what new pulley wheels cost for Ceramicspeed.
I can get good price at these, both coated and standard.

Not coated 329 Euro
Coated 399 Euro

That is quite horrible.
I've got a lot of bearings in my purchase history, but I'm 80% sure they are 688-2RS bearings. 8x16x5mm. I bought it out of curiosity with the intention of buying a genuine one if I liked it, but I've had no reason to replace it, it's performed so well.

Yeah, I just pressed the bearings out with a vise and a block of wood and then pressed the new ones in. Super easy and took me all of 10 minutes. The stock bearings spun forever, but had no lubrication or seals so they would have had a lifespan of approximately 10 minutes.
2020 Cannondale Supersix
2021 Argon 18 Gallium Disc
2018 Trek Crockett

gloscherrybomb

by gloscherrybomb

Hi. I gambled on one of these and all the bolts were rusted and bearings absolute junk. I'm going to try and save it, got some decent endura bearings but the fake kogel dustcaps were rusted in so had to be destroyed. Any idea what dustcaps I can use for the new bearings?

cr3

by cr3

I have ceramicspeed on three of my bikes and thought i would try the Kogal and its been nothing but problems, it rattles over rough roads and one of the bolts came out and they wanted $150 to ship a new one to Australia or wait months with the distributor. I was actually able to find one in the end because one of the shops said they wont stock them anymore because they originally had this problem with a lot of them so not they locktight them in so much its impossible to get the bolts out to service them and actually had a bunch of dead ones for parts in the shop.