24mm power meter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

scottydonald

by scottydonald

I use two bikes currently and use Assioma pedals between them, I am too lazy to continue to do this so been running one bike power meter less but really do miss it.

I want to get a spider based power meter but not wanting to replace my ceramicspeed coated bottom bracket. It would be for my SL7 with DA9200.

From what have read Rotor Inspider and Power2Max seem the best options... Opinions please guys?

jch3n

by jch3n

Why not just another pair of Assiomas? Seems like the more economical option.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Seems like the spider based power meter is now largely dead. PM pedals have replaced it as the go to.

Of course there are a few legacy manufacturers still floating about, but no real investment in new products.

Even Shimano who bought Pioneer then decided to stop investing, because they saw no real future in the market.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Cannoli

by Cannoli

Nickldn wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:06 pm
Seems like the spider based power meter is now largely dead. PM pedals have replaced it as the go to.
Huh? This is a personal opinion and not based in reality.

SRM makes a great power meter and can accommodate 24mm cranks. You can get a good deal on their PM7, or build out a killer PM9 that can be upgraded as you upgrade bikes.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Couldnt be happier with my P2M Campy crank NGeco PM. Battery last a long time and no issues so far.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

scottydonald

by scottydonald

Cannoli wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 12:54 am
Nickldn wrote:

SRM makes a great power meter and can accommodate 24mm cranks. You can get a good deal on their PM7, or build out a killer PM9 that can be upgraded as you upgrade bikes.
They are still not cheap!

So far I have votes for
1 assioma pedals
1 SRM
1 P2M

Any more?

mathemagician

by mathemagician

Since you mention Rotor cranks, I think Sigeyi do a spider based power meter for Rotor 24mm axle. Fairly cheap too IIRC.

Sent from my CPH2207 using Tapatalk

Knightyboy27

by Knightyboy27

mathemagician wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 9:56 pm
Since you mention Rotor cranks, I think Sigeyi do a spider based power meter for Rotor 24mm axle. Fairly cheap too IIRC.

Having just done this same research myself, this is exactly what I have landed on.

A good bit cheaper than the P2M and seemingly work just as well.

Nots that the newest version is cross compatible with the 30mm rotor axles as well, so if you decide in the future on a new bike to go for the Aldhu Carbon, you can move the Sigeyi across with no issue.

spartacus

by spartacus

The rotor cranks work with a shimano BB and have multiple pm options. Certain sram cranks are easy to get pm spiders for.

Cannoli

by Cannoli

scottydonald wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 9:16 pm
Cannoli wrote:
Nickldn wrote:

They are still not cheap!

So far I have votes for
1 assioma pedals
1 SRM
1 P2M

Any more?
You didn't mention in your original post you wanted "cheap". 8)

I have Assioma Duo, DA9100-P and SRM PM9. Except for the accuracy of the DA (although consistent), all work well. Get what you like and ride.
Canyon Aeroad CFR Di2 | Canyon Ultimate SLX 9.0 Di2 | Trek Domane SL5 Disc (Gravel Bike / Fly-Away Road Bike) | Orbea Tera H-30 Disc (Touring Bike)

scottydonald

by scottydonald

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 11:05 pm
mathemagician wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 9:56 pm

Having just done this same research myself, this is exactly what I have landed on.

A good bit cheaper than the P2M and seemingly work just as well.

Nots that the newest version is cross compatible with the 30mm rotor axles as well, so if you decide in the future on a new bike to go for the Aldhu Carbon, you can move the Sigeyi across with no issue.
Cant find these anywhere...
spartacus wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 12:03 am
The rotor cranks work with a shimano BB and have multiple pm options. Certain sram cranks are easy to get pm spiders for.
Only thing against the Inspider is weight i think but i could be completely wrong.

Seems much easier but i spent good money on my bottom bracket and its on 2000km old.
Cannoli wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 1:10 am
You didn't mention in your original post you wanted "cheap". 8)

I have Assioma Duo, DA9100-P and SRM PM9. Except for the accuracy of the DA (although consistent), all work well. Get what you like and ride.
I dont want cheap u the SRM seems to be the most expensive. The UK price is stupid, i could get from US and my friend takes it back for me at the end of the month.

I do like my Assiomaa's but my brain is saying you cant just buy the same again for both bikes, if i spend money i. should loose weight or somethign for being so lazy!

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Cannoli wrote:
Nickldn wrote:

It's an opinion based on the current market in general and UK prices in particular.

I googled the price of SRM power meters and nearly fell out of my chair! A Campy compatible PM and crank is £2,568 from TrainSharp cycling:

https://www.trainsharpcycling.co.uk/pro ... ag_organic

To me that's 1%-er money, not to mention about 5 times the price of a single sided pedal PM. I can't see the value.

Other non-campy SRM stuff with crank doesn't seem to be that much cheaper either. To me it's absolutely ludicrous to suggest that represents a healthy and competitive market compared to Assioma, or even Garmin power pedals (unless you're a 1%-er of course and care about price).

SRAM still makes QUARQ pms and they are better value (widespread distribution too), but they are SRAM only.

Sygeyi, yes their products are well priced, but not easy to get hold of in the UK.

So to me, no this is not a healthy market.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

scottydonald

by scottydonald

Knightyboy27 wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 3:15 pm
This is where I got mine from

https://www.tradeinn.com/bikeinn/en/sig ... 38796394/p
Thank you.
Nickldn wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 5:39 pm
Cannoli wrote:
Nickldn wrote:

It's an opinion based on the current market in general and UK prices in particular.

I googled the price of SRM power meters and nearly fell out of my chair! A Campy compatible PM and crank is £2,568 from TrainSharp cycling:

https://www.trainsharpcycling.co.uk/pro ... ag_organic

To me that's 1%-er money, not to mention about 5 times the price of a single sided pedal PM. I can't see the value.

Other non-campy SRM stuff with crank doesn't seem to be that much cheaper either. To me it's absolutely ludicrous to suggest that represents a healthy and competitive market compared to Assioma, or even Garmin power pedals (unless you're a 1%-er of course and care about price).

SRAM still makes QUARQ pms and they are better value (widespread distribution too), but they are SRAM only.

Sygeyi, yes their products are well priced, but not easy to get hold of in the UK.

So to me, no this is not a healthy market.
Its interesting on what is considered value.

My bike is certainly not cheap but again i wouldn't want to just throw more money into it for the sake of it. Spending all this money becasue i am too lazy to move pedals from one bike to another is excessive.

THe SRM prices are very, very high but weight and accuracy from my research seems the best.

I am now thinking; replacing the CS Bottom brakcet with a DUB one and going Quarq/RED/Carbon TI or 9200 Chainrings

or

Keep bottom bracket with SRM/Look Arms/Current 9200 Rings

or

Sigeyi

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

bobones

by bobones

If you get another set of pedals you'll be able to swap them over if you ever have a problem with one set and need to send them away or wait for parts. I do understand being too lazy to swap pedals about as I now have 4.5 sets of Vector 3 for similar reasons :-)