24mm power meter

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartacus

by spartacus

https://www.bike24.com/p2392625.html?sku=1360865

I found a power pack with aldhu arms and oval rings for a similar price from Germany so maybe look around.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aeo

by Aeo

My setup:

SRAM RED GXP cranks, Sigeyi power meter, in Giant TCR with Shimano-style bottom bracket
gxp.jpg
  • Aluminium spacer from Acros GXP Adapter, ground down a little bit because it was too wide.
    Now a little bit under 12mm.

Black spacers are Wheels Mfg crank spindle spacers, one 24mm x 1mm and one 24mm x 0.5mm

White translucent spacers are from the Acros set, nominally 0.4mm but measure around 0.33mm

Obviously, your amount of spacers will vary, find a setup with no play when crank is tight and you will not need wave washers.
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

scottydonald

by scottydonald

Aeo wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 12:10 pm
My setup:

SRAM RED GXP cranks, Sigeyi power meter, in Giant TCR with Shimano-style bottom bracket
gxp.jpg
  • Aluminium spacer from Acros GXP Adapter, ground down a little bit because it was too wide.

Black spacers are Wheels Mfg crank spindle spacers, one 24mm x 1mm and one 24mm x 0.5mm

White translucent spacers are from the Acros set, nominally 0.4mm but measure around 0.33mm

Obviously, your amount of spacers will vary, find a setup with no play when crank is tight and you will not need wave washers.
Looks good!

After a week of thinking and reading I am now sitting between three choices:

Favero Assioma pedals

Or

Quarq Dzero, d1 arms, carbon ti rings and a new ceramics speed bracket

Or

Stages 9200 LR crankset.

Any more opinions?

scottydonald

by scottydonald

I just ordered another set of Assiomas.

All the options and this was the cheapest but most importantly didnt mean loosing my good bike for a time.....

Now just need to a find a 54t 9200 chaintring and see how it works with a 36!

rawjunk

by rawjunk

Aeo wrote:
Sat May 20, 2023 12:10 pm
My setup:

gxp.jpg

Have you had any issues with that Acros GXP Adapter?

Aeo

by Aeo

No problems for 2 years
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Aeo wrote:
Sun Mar 10, 2024 2:24 pm
No problems for 2 years
What bottom bracket are you using? Are you using the standard Shimano Ultegra or Dura Ace?

I'm currently trying a SRAM GXP BB with the SRAM RED AXS GXP cranks on my BMC SLR01. However the BB86 bottom bracket shell in my frame is grossly undersized (40.80mm instead of 40.98mm) and after pressing in the metal SRAM GXP bottom bracket the bearings don't spin so freely. The Shimano BB with their plastic construction grants enough tolerance that it works fine with 24mm cranks.

I'm thinking that I should try your suggestion with the ACROS GXP to 24mm adapter using the Shimano Bottom Bracket (either Ultegra or DA).

Aeo

by Aeo

Using a first gen Hambini BB86

If your shell is undersized but round, you could consider the flap wheel method to widen it just a little bit.

If you can get the Acros set for cheap enough, go ahead and give it a try

Spinnekop

by Spinnekop

Had the Asioma Shi pedals. Bearings went. Local agents did not have stock. Took months. I gave up.
Got the P2M and have been without issues since.
"In my experience, there is only one motivation, and that is DESIRE.
No reason or principle contain it or stand against it........"

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Nickldn wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:06 pm
Even Shimano who bought Pioneer then decided to stop investing, because they saw no real future in the market.
I don't think there was ever an indication that Shimano wanted to sell Pioneer branded PMs given that they already did and still do sell their own crank based PMs. They just got a good deal on the IP. At the time I think it was more the web based training ecosystem they wanted to get hold of.

iamraymond

by iamraymond

Aeo wrote:
Tue Mar 19, 2024 1:40 pm
Using a first gen Hambini BB86

If your shell is undersized but round, you could consider the flap wheel method to widen it just a little bit.

If you can get the Acros set for cheap enough, go ahead and give it a try
Alright thanks for the input.

Regarding the flap wheel method, I couldn't find one which is a good fit for the 41mm. I found 40mm wheels (too small) and 50mm (too big).

BenCousins

by BenCousins

Nickldn wrote:
Sun May 14, 2023 5:39 pm
Cannoli wrote:
Sat May 13, 2023 12:54 am
Nickldn wrote:
Fri May 12, 2023 11:06 pm
Seems like the spider based power meter is now largely dead. PM pedals have replaced it as the go to.
Huh? This is a personal opinion and not based in reality.

SRM makes a great power meter and can accommodate 24mm cranks. You can get a good deal on their PM7, or build out a killer PM9 that can be upgraded as you upgrade bikes.
It's an opinion based on the current market in general and UK prices in particular.

I googled the price of SRM power meters and nearly fell out of my chair! A Campy compatible PM and crank is £2,568 from TrainSharp cycling:

https://www.trainsharpcycling.co.uk/pro ... ag_organic

To me that's 1%-er money, not to mention about 5 times the price of a single sided pedal PM. I can't see the value.

Other non-campy SRM stuff with crank doesn't seem to be that much cheaper either. To me it's absolutely ludicrous to suggest that represents a healthy and competitive market compared to Assioma, or even Garmin power pedals (unless you're a 1%-er of course and care about price).

SRAM still makes QUARQ pms and they are better value (widespread distribution too), but they are SRAM only.

Sygeyi, yes their products are well priced, but not easy to get hold of in the UK.

So to me, no this is not a healthy market.
Whatever you do, don't look at the prices of SRM when they were the only option, and adjust for inflation. You'll consider the entire history of commercial power meters 'not a healthy market'

EugeneC

by EugeneC

Buy SRM second hand. It is hands-down the best pm out there. And the best thing about SRM is, that every part inside the application is repairable and replaceable. Everything can be taken apart and fixed. It's also possible to replace the chainset. They alse calibrate them. Once you've tried SRM it's hard to settle for less.

I've seen lots of them second hand going at around 500 euros.

Honestly I don't know who pays 1800-2500 euros for a new SRM. I've never met somehone who did that. Everyone I know buys them second hand.

Edopizzo

by Edopizzo

Get the Magene PES for 299 shipped

Whipit

by Whipit

Edopizzo wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 11:15 am
Get the Magene PES for 299 shipped
Do you have one? Have you done an accuracy comparision? Price is definitely good!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com