HyperStem bolt torque

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

loxhore

by loxhore

Extralite recommend 1.5-2Nm for the four faceplate polts and 2-3Nm for the two pinch bolts because (direct quote) 'The special Ti M4 bolts at 2Nm pull way more than any M5-M6 larger bolt you find on other stems'.

So I tightened to spec and the bars started slipping on the first ride. Not a surprise: 2Nm really isn't very much!

To fix this, I had to buy a T15 driver at a hardware store at a remote town in California.

What is going on here? Does anyone who uses this stem really tighten it to just 2nm? That seems crazy to me.

qwertzuiop

by qwertzuiop

I too had to buy T15 and T8 (GoPro mount) bits for my torque wrench. I ride carbon bars. Applied carbon paste and torqued to spec. My bars didn't slip and the whole system seems pretty thight to me. I would be vary to overthighten such tiny bolts. Have you tried different bars or carbon paste?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

loxhore wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 5:35 am
Extralite recommend 1.5-2Nm for the four faceplate polts and 2-3Nm for the two pinch bolts because (direct quote) 'The special Ti M4 bolts at 2Nm pull way more than any M5-M6 larger bolt you find on other stems'.

So I tightened to spec and the bars started slipping on the first ride. Not a surprise: 2Nm really isn't very much!

To fix this, I had to buy a T15 driver at a hardware store at a remote town in California.

What is going on here? Does anyone who uses this stem really tighten it to just 2nm? That seems crazy to me.
2Nm is too little. But i wouldn't recommend this stem if you don't use an aluminium handlebar. There's really no way to tell if you get bite marks or not on your handlebar and steerer tube (especially if you sprint and put more weight on the bar).
You will notice, but then it's a bit late.
I would rather recommend MCFK if it get's your handlebar in the desired position.
Personally i prefer stiffer stems. I have lots of stems and believe it or not, i probably use one of the more heavy (Enve SES Aero).
But that is because i wanted to try the +/- 5mm i can get.
130 - 2.5mm or + 2.5mm.
I went from super light handlebars and stems to Enve + the latest Deda Superzero RS (247g size 42 (which is 40cm C-C over hoods).
I always have had my shifters turned slightly inwards to rest my palms more nicely.

I know some like Hyperstem, but a stiffer stem would feel better with a light (more flexible) handlebar.
If you look at EXS cyclings stem, which seems to have undergone lots of testing, you'll notice that inspite of starting off as a project of ultimate lightness, it actually isn't that light.
I believe it's a good reason for this. But, it's up to you to decide.
My objective version i share, because i have had quite sever problems (two damaged forks and two damaged handlebars)
All have been scrapped due to this stem. I don't want others to find them selved in same situation.
I certainly don't have an agenda towards Extralite, i just say it as it is.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

loxhore

by loxhore

wheelsONfire wrote:
Wed Apr 26, 2023 7:44 am
2Nm is too little. ....
that's interesting. I did run it with alloy bars, just because I haven't yet got around to installing carbon ones. Are you saying it'll bite into the carbon even at Extralite's ridiculously low torque spec? It bit into your steerer at 3Nm?

loxhore

by loxhore

btw, Extralite are telling me that I can torque to 3Nm on alloy bars

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

loxhore wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:10 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
2Nm is too little. ....
that's interesting. I did run it with alloy bars, just because I haven't yet got around to installing carbon ones. Are you saying it'll bite into the carbon even at Extralite's ridiculously low torque spec? It bit into your steerer at 3Nm?
The old info sheets say 3Nm and this 2Nm is probably a revision. It's probably due to bite marks.
But it's just what i think! 2Nm is to little (no matter what material the handlebar material).
You even have shifters torqued to 4-8Nm.
Ofcourse you can use more torque on alu. When it comes to alu it's about not damaging the threads of the stem.
I have trashed my handlebars otherwise i could show you how it looks. I have boxes of stems and no other stem is doing this.
Just saying....
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

loxhore

by loxhore

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 10:48 am
loxhore wrote:
Fri Apr 28, 2023 8:10 am
wheelsONfire wrote:
2Nm is too little. ....
The old info sheets say 3Nm and this 2Nm is probably a revision. It's probably due to bite marks.
But it's just what i think! 2Nm is to little (no matter what material the handlebar material).
You even have shifters torqued to 4-8Nm.
Ofcourse you can use more torque on alu. When it comes to alu it's about not damaging the threads of the stem.
I have trashed my handlebars otherwise i could show you how it looks. I have boxes of stems and no other stem is doing this.
Just saying....
thanks for the heads-up. It's obvious that 2Nm is too low. Crazy what these companies get away with. This stem may be destined for eBay ..
Last edited by loxhore on Tue May 02, 2023 4:56 am, edited 1 time in total.

loxhore

by loxhore

I like the look of this https://r2-bike.com/NEWMEN-Stem-Evoluti ... m-318-mm-6
What do you think?

nickf

by nickf

Running 2 hyperstems both with carbon Easton bars. 2nm for both with carbon paste. Been using them for years without issue. One is on my road bike and the other on the gravel bike. Zero bar slip even when I pick a terrible line riding gravel. I had the gravel bike apart not long ago adding on the ch-02 mount and the bars looked fine, nothing alarming or out of the ordinary. Easton bars do have a pretty rough bar clamping surface treatment, maybe why they don't slip.

Edit: I use the crunchy style Finish Line carbon paste.
Last edited by nickf on Tue May 02, 2023 10:34 pm, edited 1 time in total.

loxhore

by loxhore

nickf wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 4:47 am
Running 2 hyperstems both with carbon Easton bars. 2nm for both with carbon paste. Been using them for years without issue. One is on my road bike and the other on the gravel bike. Zero bar slip even when I pick a terrible line riding gravel. I had the gravel bike apart not long ago adding on the ch-02 mount and the bars looked fine, nothing alarming or out of the ordinary. Easton bars do have a pretty rough bar clamping surface treatment, maybe why they don't slip.
hahaha, the Roval bars I was going to install with the Hyperstem had that rough clamping surface, but I painted over it because I wanted black not grey

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

I have had my share of issues with Hyperstem, but still using them because I invested in 3 with Garmin mounts... And they are light.

I found 2.5 to 2.8nm on the bars to work well with Motorex carbon paste (no grit but incredible grip). Bear in mind, seeing pictures of the first V1 Hyperstem on the forum it said 3nm bar and 4nm steerer, which then was reduced..

2.8 nm on the steerer.

I only use carbon bars, 3T aeroghaia tighten to 2.8Nm and no bite marks.
Rocking a Pro superlight 152 gram bar now at 2.5 Nm and no slipping. Cannot say if the bar is damaged or not from the few miles I put on it. But it should be able to take 4-5 Nm so should be fine.

Use the best carbon paste and a lot of it, wipe of the residue. Muc off copper paste on the screws!

I am heavy at 83kg ish

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

loxhore wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 12:57 am
I like the look of this https://r2-bike.com/NEWMEN-Stem-Evoluti ... m-318-mm-6
What do you think?
How do you get the handlebar through the opening?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

It's all great for you who run the stems with no issues. It's less fun if or when something happens. It's all up to each and overyone to have their own experience.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 12:15 pm
It's all great for you who run the stems with no issues. It's less fun if or when something happens. It's all up to each and overyone to have their own experience.
These stems are definitely not great. Your problems comes from the early version with sharp edges. But still, the "new" one is far from great. I was lured into it by looking at the scale. And the ridiculously expensive carbon Garmin mount is the best looking on the market but also the priciest. Once purchased it is hard to justify throwing away the cash and look for something else.

The S-works stem is probably the second best stem on the market if there is a good looking Garmin mount to match. Lightweight, normal screws and half the price to Hyperstem.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

eucalyptus wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 1:58 pm
wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue May 02, 2023 12:15 pm
These stems are definitely not great. Your problems comes from the early version with sharp edges. But still, the "new" one is far from great. I was lured into it by looking at the scale. And the ridiculously expensive carbon Garmin mount is the best looking on the market but also the priciest. Once purchased it is hard to justify throwing away the cash and look for something else.

The S-works stem is probably the second best stem on the market if there is a good looking Garmin mount to match. Lightweight, normal screws and half the price to Hyperstem.
I know, it was my issue that made me contact THM and Ax Lightness aswell as Extralite. THM and Ax did investigate, i had very good descriptions and all components sent over. So it was from my case the whole thing with a revised stem design came.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)