Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL8

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Torbjorn wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 11:24 pm
mikehhhhhhh wrote:
Mon Jun 17, 2024 9:22 pm
Is it common for the rear mounts to need facing and will warranty cover it?
Perhaps an interesting read:
https://www.facebook.com/BarnettBicycle ... 916062427/
I won't pretend to understand all what is written here, but I like the conclusion. :D

In my experience with enough patience it's generally always possible to align disk brakes, even when the disk is a bit out of true.

gurk700

by gurk700

been using this type alignment tool Image
since day 1 of using disc brakes and never had an issue! Put it through, squeeze brakes, tighten caliper, voila.

SL8 has been one of the easier ones actually. On some bikes I had to do it 2-3 times tightening the bolts suuuuper carefully and gradually so that the caliper doesn't move fraction of mm in the wrong direction while tightening and start rubbing again.

BMC Roadmachine I got back in 2018 was the WORST offender.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

Well I've been doing some more investigation, either the top or bottom of the mount isn't square as they aren't square to each other. With a set of verniers over them, there's a good 0.1-0.2mm gap on one side.

Even once torqued I can get a 0.05 feeler gauge under one side of the caliper

Additionally there are witness marks on one side of where the bolts do up.

Definitely out, frustrating that whoever built it ignored this as they must have had an absolute shit time aligning with new pads.

With new swisstop pads, it's not even possible to align them without some contact on one edge. With the outside bottom lightly kissing the disc, the inside top has the tiniest slither of clearance.

gurk700

by gurk700

mikehhhhhhh wrote:
Tue Jun 18, 2024 7:29 pm
Well I've been doing some more investigation, either the top or bottom of the mount isn't square as they aren't square to each other. With a set of verniers over them, there's a good 0.1-0.2mm gap on one side.

Even once torqued I can get a 0.05 feeler gauge under one side of the caliper

Additionally there are witness marks on one side of where the bolts do up.

Definitely out, frustrating that whoever built it ignored this as they must have had an absolute shit time aligning with new pads.

With new swisstop pads, it's not even possible to align them without some contact on one edge. With the outside bottom lightly kissing the disc, the inside top has the tiniest slither of clearance.
Sorry to hear. I know it's a long shot as UK is HUGE but are you by any chance close to mapdec cycleworks? He seems to fix these issues often and makes videos / shorts on youtube about it. He might even be able to contact specialized for you to see if warranty can cover it.
Worst case, if you contact, maybe he's able to recommend someone close to you? Just a thought

man1ac

by man1ac

Is that Gap normal?
Currently building up my Frameset and just wanna make sure I didn't do something wrong...
Attachments
1000062806.jpg

ValPiti87

by ValPiti87

man1ac wrote:Is that Gap normal?
Currently building up my Frameset and just wanna make sure I didn't do something wrong...
Yes

Enviado desde mi SM-S911B mediante Tapatalk

ValPiti87

by ValPiti87

man1ac wrote:Is that Gap normal?
Yes Image

Enviado desde mi SM-S911B mediante Tapatalk

man1ac

by man1ac

Thanks! Thought so!

Torbjorn

by Torbjorn

You probably know what you're doing and have it just resting on the top tube, but just to make sure, be careful about not clamping the bike there.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

man1ac wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:00 am
Is that Gap normal?
For what it's worth, with the EXS Aerover barstem (with the SL8 spacer kit), the gap is smaller.

S-Works SL8 - 6.29Kg/13.86Ib
Cervelo S3 Disc - 6.78Kg/14.94Ib
Scott Addict RC - 6.92Kg/15.25Ib
OnOne - Free Ranger - 8.68Kg/19.1Ib
Scott CR1 - 5.69Kg/12.54Ib

man1ac

by man1ac

Torbjorn wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 10:58 am
You probably know what you're doing and have it just resting on the top tube, but just to make sure, be careful about not clamping the bike there.
Yep -hopefully I do :D. In german is a saying: "After tight comes loose".
Its only ever so slighty tight that it wont move. I could move, so not tight at all.

But nevertheless: Thanks for the info! Build comes along greatly. having the "semi full integration" is a bless to work on, compared to canyons damn T Shaped Handlebar. I cutted the steerer tube about 1mm "short" so I needed to sand that one mm down (what a nightmare :D) The saw I used would not help here. But anyhow. After 30mins it was done.

To be honest: I normally clamp bikes that way - I kinda just dont like it on the seat stay (maybe because the bending moment with a front wheel installed? Dunno. Never felt "ideal" for me. But thats maybe (another maybe :D) because of our MTBs where the seatstay starts making nose with full weight.

bmrk

by bmrk

man1ac wrote:
Wed Jun 19, 2024 8:00 am
Is that Gap normal?
It is normal and apparently specialized make like this to accommodate for thicker paint schemes. I have sanded my compression ring to reduce the gap to something acceptable. The process I have done is described starting on this post viewtopic.php?p=1860339#p1860339

man1ac

by man1ac

Build ready!
Any recommendations for some weight reductions? The Garmin mount seems very heavy.
Currently standing at 7.1kg. bottle Cages are Leftover from my Aeroad. Looks quite nice and with 35g per Cage reasonable lightweight.
Attachments
1000062829.jpg

nonamed

by nonamed

man1ac wrote:Build ready!
Any recommendations for some weight reductions? The Garmin mount seems very heavy.
Currently standing at 7.1kg. bottle Cages are Leftover from my Aeroad. Looks quite nice and with 35g per Cage reasonable lightweight.
Quite heavy? What is the weight of the wheels?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

gurk700

by gurk700

just first look and comparing to my setup
Bottle cages I have Elite Leggero save 50 grams
Cassette Duraace 11-30 saves 20 grams
Saddle I have Alpitude Gardena save 90s grams
Wheels I have Farsports carbon spoke 50mm save 200 grams
over your setup.

Ofcourse you be the judge on what's worth it pricewise!

You could always ride as is cause it looks badass and I'm sure it rides just as good. 7.1kg is "heavy" for ww but in all honesty, should be a delightful ride still.

Take my word with a grain of salt though. I'm less ww every day. Just raced Pescadero Road Race here in California last weekend. Seeing 20 year old kids ride away from me while doing 400 watts with their 8.3kg bikes puts perspective on things.
(Helps that they weigh 120lbs)