Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL8

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Turrifik

by Turrifik

I’m sure I’ve missed it, but is there a list of frame weights at different sizes, colors, etc. I think Ryan often had this data handy.

I’m curious about the blue onyx colour or something similar with minimal branding vs other SW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

idinfo68

by idinfo68

ultyguy wrote:
Fri Mar 22, 2024 8:28 am
Hi guys, what length Shimano EW 300 cable do I need for a size 56 please?
Thanks!

500 mm + 1000 mm
www.baron-noir.com

Specialized Aethos SUB5
Specialized Tarmac SL8 - 5.35 kgs
Specialized Tarmac SL6 - 5.16 kgs
Scott SPARK RC 900 SL SUB 8
Specialized Epic HT - 6.18 kgs

kgcx

by kgcx

I sized down from a 54 RPT S-Works to 52 blue onyx pro frame.

RPT 54 Frame was - 678 - Uncut Fork - 374
Blue 52 Frame was - 787 - Uncut Fork - 359

Both weighed without hardware

I couldn't tell a difference in frame feel when I swapped if anyone was curious.

Turrifik

by Turrifik

kgcx wrote:I sized down from a 54 RPT S-Works to 52 blue onyx pro frame.

RPT 54 Frame was - 678 - Uncut Fork - 374
Blue 52 Frame was - 787 - Uncut Fork - 359

Both weighed without hardware

I couldn't tell a difference in frame feel when I swapped if anyone was curious.
Great. Thank you. This is a nice comparison. RTP is one of the lightest SW options right. So at most the weight difference is ~100g. likely less for most other SW colours?

kgcx

by kgcx

If I had to guess, a matte pro frame is going to weigh about the same as a gloss S-Works frame.

I'm not claiming to be an expert on this though, you'd have to talk to Ryan or someone similar to get an exact number.

parajba

by parajba

Long story short, happy Venge owner since 2019, in 2023 I bought an SL7 in entry level kit (Rival, Roval C38) and have been training on the SL7 during the winter. Yesterday I used the Venge again, and to my surprise, yes, it is faster (it is specced with top end kit) but I prefer how the SL7 feels (more stable, more comfortable). I am now toeying with the idea of a top specced SL8, any thoughts or comparison for those who have done the same? My Venge is now 5 years old.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

parajba wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 7:00 am
Long story short, happy Venge owner since 2019, in 2023 I bought an SL7 in entry level kit (Rival, Roval C38) and have been training on the SL7 during the winter. Yesterday I used the Venge again, and to my surprise, yes, it is faster (it is specced with top end kit) but I prefer how the SL7 feels (more stable, more comfortable). I am now toeying with the idea of a top specced SL8, any thoughts or comparison for those who have done the same? My Venge is now 5 years old.
Confirmation bias should tell you that anyone who made the switch will be convinced the SL8 is "better"

JMOS

by JMOS

Does Specialized have a fixed date / month where they usually present new color ways? It would be nice if the 10r frame came in different colors.

by 208

JMOS wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:06 am
Does Specialized have a fixed date / month where they usually present new color ways? It would be nice if the 10r frame came in different colors.
I was told June there will be new colourways and more availability (in Australia)

by 208

Has anyone tried 35mm tyres on their SL8 by any chance?

Charlie69

by Charlie69

I'm building an sl8 with Dura ace 9170, first time to build a bike from scratch. Should I fit the di2 cables before the hydraulic brake lines?.... just wondering if it's easier to fit either one first , thanks.

Charlie69

by Charlie69

parajba wrote:
I also have the Venge since 2019 as I didn't think the sl7 was a significant enough upgrade to justify the change. I've been lucky enough to have the Sl8 pro out for a two week demo though and I have really enjoyed riding this bike.
As you say the Venge is fast and I really love riding it on fast group rides but I was amazed at the comfort of the Sl8 and it just loves to climb .... as for the aero claims re the Sl8 I don't know if it's faster than the venge but I'd imagine with the roval rapide cockpit ( which I also have on the venge) there would be very little difference.
So I'm now building up an Sl8 but going to keep my venge for now and will make a decision on selling or not later.

Noro

by Noro

Charlie69 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:33 pm
I'm building an sl8 with Dura ace 9170, first time to build a bike from scratch. Should I fit the di2 cables before the hydraulic brake lines?.... just wondering if it's easier to fit either one first , thanks.
Do the brake lines first

JMOS

by JMOS

208 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 11:04 am
JMOS wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 10:06 am
I was told June there will be new colourways and more availability (in Australia)
Thanks

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

parajba

by parajba

Charlie69 wrote:
Sun Mar 24, 2024 12:41 pm
parajba wrote:
I also have the Venge since 2019 as I didn't think the sl7 was a significant enough upgrade to justify the change. I've been lucky enough to have the Sl8 pro out for a two week demo though and I have really enjoyed riding this bike.
As you say the Venge is fast and I really love riding it on fast group rides but I was amazed at the comfort of the Sl8 and it just loves to climb .... as for the aero claims re the Sl8 I don't know if it's faster than the venge but I'd imagine with the roval rapide cockpit ( which I also have on the venge) there would be very little difference.
So I'm now building up an Sl8 but going to keep my venge for now and will make a decision on selling or not later.
Just had an idea. I could simply buy the SL8 frame and new cockpit, and transfer over my Roval CLX II 50, saddle, Di2 Durace 11sp.

I am not interested in the 12 speed Di2, I consider mine to be 10 out of 10 already, but how are the new version of my wheels? Weight seems the same, any real differences?