Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL8

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

lemeneid

by lemeneid

No pics yet? I'm surprised no one hasn't spotted a pro riding one as a test bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Minirac

by Minirac

Lina wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 8:58 pm
Minirac wrote:
Mon May 01, 2023 8:31 pm
AW84 wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:48 pm
Yoln wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:33 pm

Chill out, roughly 15% of the US male population has shoulders wider than 44, and 27% wider than 43.

And a 0% chance anyone could ever detect a speed difference between a 36 and 44 bar on their bike. Handlebar size should be a matter of control and comfort, or so I thought.
Indeed, there is zero/0w difference if you set up wide bars correct.
Even if you have no rider on the bike wide bars aren't as aero. Between 36 cm and 44 cm bars there's 8 more cm of bar in the wind. Sure the difference without a rider won't be massive but it is there. Now throw a rider on top of the bike and you can see the difference without even a wind tunnel.
This is illusion. If you go from 400 to 440, what will wind actually see is addition of 2cm in the middle of the bar on each side which is thin and aero optimized. It is not that there is 4cm "more" bar in the wind lol. So if you run wind tunnel test for 380 vs 440 without rider, you cant even mesure 1w difference. Second thing is with rider. GCN did mesure 14W difference, but their measurement protocol is failed. You need to shorten the stem/reach by 2-4cm and add up to 4cm of stack to get the same position(same hip, torso, neck/head angle) and get proper shoulder-elbow-wrist-hoods aligement on the wide bars vs on the narrow bars.

Lina

by Lina

Minirac wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 3:06 pm
Lina wrote:
Minirac wrote:
AW84 wrote:
Sun Apr 30, 2023 8:48 pm

And a 0% chance anyone could ever detect a speed difference between a 36 and 44 bar on their bike. Handlebar size should be a matter of control and comfort, or so I thought.
Even if you have no rider on the bike wide bars aren't as aero. Between 36 cm and 44 cm bars there's 8 more cm of bar in the wind. Sure the difference without a rider won't be massive but it is there. Now throw a rider on top of the bike and you can see the difference without even a wind tunnel.
This is illusion. If you go from 400 to 440, what will wind actually see is addition of 2cm in the middle of the bar on each side which is thin and aero optimized. It is not that there is 4cm "more" bar in the wind lol. So if you run wind tunnel test for 380 vs 440 without rider, you cant even mesure 1w difference. Second thing is with rider. GCN did mesure 14W difference, but their measurement protocol is failed. You need to shorten the stem/reach by 2-4cm and add up to 4cm of stack to get the same position(same hip, torso, neck/head angle) and get proper shoulder-elbow-wrist-hoods aligement on the wide bars vs on the narrow bars.
Yes, the added frontal area from the extra bar width is marginal at best. But it does increase the frontal area of a bike.

When you're measuring different bar widths you shouldn't make the positions exactly the same. Especially if the goal is to be aero. At least my natural position with narrow bars is completely different than with wide bars. The right way to measure isn't to make the exact same position with both bars. The correct way to measure is to have both bars how you'd have them in real life, even if that results in different position on the bike.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Please dear god stop posting about handlebars in this thread

Lina

by Lina

CAAD8FRED wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 3:33 pm
Please dear god stop posting about handlebars in this thread
Hi, do you have a moment to talk about handlebar width?

Minirac

by Minirac

Lina wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 3:25 pm
Minirac wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 3:06 pm
Lina wrote:
Minirac wrote:

Yes, the added frontal area from the extra bar width is marginal at best. But it does increase the frontal area of a bike.

When you're measuring different bar widths you shouldn't make the positions exactly the same. Especially if the goal is to be aero. At least my natural position with narrow bars is completely different than with wide bars. The right way to measure isn't to make the exact same position with both bars. The correct way to measure is to have both bars how you'd have them in real life, even if that results in different position on the bike.
No no no no! In-accurate. Then you could just lower your stem with any bar and get different position. YOU have only ONE ideal dynamic pedaling body position (for lets say a road bike) - hip, torso, neck/head angle - that is defined by cranck length/stance width and saddle height/tilt. You can however then manipulate shoulder-elbow-wrist geometry and aligement by different handlebar shapes. But your ideal pedaling dynamic part (hip, torso, neck/head angle) should stay the same!

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

This blog needs better moderation. This handlebar stuff is so ridiculous

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

skinnybex

by skinnybex

mrbrown4001 wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 6:27 pm

what needs moderating ? Not a single spy photo of anything but a box. You can't have rumors when nobody has a clue other than the new handlebar that'll likely be included. How about a rumor on what absurd price Specialized will charge for the frame only and complete builds ?
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

skinnybex wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:21 pm
mrbrown4001 wrote:

what needs moderating ? Not a single spy photo of anything but a box. You can't have rumors when nobody has a clue other than the new handlebar that'll likely be included. How about a rumor on what absurd price Specialized will charge for the frame only and complete builds ?
Because it's off topic. They can create a separate thread for handlebr talk. It has nothing related to the SL8. It's annoying to see new comments in a thread about the SL8, then get here and it's more pointless bickering about a different topic.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

Maddie

by Maddie

So you would prefer a SL8 rumor thread with 0 posts? Because there's nothing concrete to discuss

mrbrown4001

by mrbrown4001

Maddie wrote:So you would prefer a SL8 rumor thread with 0 posts? Because there's nothing concrete to discuss
Yes

spartacus

by spartacus

LanceLegstrong wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 8:45 pm
skinnybex wrote:
mrbrown4001 wrote:

Because it's off topic. They can create a separate thread for handlebr talk. It has nothing related to the SL8. It's annoying to see new comments in a thread about the SL8, then get here and it's more pointless bickering about a different topic.
I disagree, I think the handlebar situation is one of the only things that even matters about the stupid thing.

Lina

by Lina

LanceLegstrong wrote:
skinnybex wrote:
mrbrown4001 wrote:

I didn't check but I do believe all this handlebar talk started because the new handlebar is pretty much the only thing we know about the SL8. And there is a well known issue of limited sizing available in integrated bars. So it's not surprising everyone is talking about literally the one thing we know about the SL8.

mlosco

by mlosco

Talking about the merits of narrow vs. wide handlebars is not the same as talking about what we do or do not know about the handlebars that will be offered with the next-gen Tarmac.

skinnybex

by skinnybex

LanceLegstrong wrote:
skinnybex wrote:
mrbrown4001 wrote:

Lol, you have a single picture of a bike box and the roval bars. My rumor say's the Sworks frameset will be $6,000 for Frame, fork and seatpost.
23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com