Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL8

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

Vuelta for sure
simply blabla-ing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

cyclingm

by cyclingm

Last time I spoke to my local Specialized dealer they said the SL8 will be introduced at the Worlds.
SW Tarmac SL7 # SW Aethos # SW Crux

ArtifactsInMotion

by ArtifactsInMotion

I have no rumors to share, only observations—there is virtually no stock for SL7s on the US Specialized site. If I am an executive at a bike company, there is no way in hell I am holding off on selling top-end road bikes longer than July for TdF vs Worlds or even later for Vuelta. Even if they do not come into stock until the later two, I highly doubt they will miss a chance to announce/debut the frame at TdF.
'22 Orbea Orca Aero 57cm, DA92, Bontrager RSL62, GP5KSTR 28mm, Roval Rapide Cockpit, SLR Superflow Carbonio, 7.8kg

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

Fair enough
And when the frame will be shown to public, stock will be available
simply blabla-ing

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 3:57 am
I have no rumors to share, only observations—there is virtually no stock for SL7s on the US Specialized site. If I am an executive at a bike company, there is no way in hell I am holding off on selling top-end road bikes longer than July for TdF vs Worlds or even later for Vuelta. Even if they do not come into stock until the later two, I highly doubt they will miss a chance to announce/debut the frame at TdF.
I wouldn’t look into this too much. This is the COVID supply chain mess rearing it’s ugly head. I was told back in December that if I wanted to order an S-Works bike, I needed to place it then. Specialized has very few bikes to sell…period. It’s out of their control and perhaps part of the reason why they tried to make a marketing splash with a mixed Tiagra/Sunrace/Tektro alloy Allez…

Ritsuke

by Ritsuke

KarlGLS wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:14 am
Fair enough
And when the frame will be shown to public, stock will be available
I've heard otherwise. Slots will open before stock is available.
Road // 2023 S-Works Tarmac SL8 | Shimano Dura-Ace Di2 | Roval Rapide CLX
Gravel // 2023 Specialized Crux Pro | SRAM Force AXS | Roval Terra CL
Retired // 2022 S-Works Shiv TT // 2021 S-Works Tarmac SL7 // 2019 Specialized Allez Sprint Red Hook

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

Yeh as usual pre orders already on
simply blabla-ing

joesch

by joesch

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 5:28 am
ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
I wouldn’t look into this too much. This is the COVID supply chain mess rearing it’s ugly head. I was told back in December that if I wanted to order an S-Works bike, I needed to place it then. Specialized has very few bikes to sell…period. It’s out of their control and perhaps part of the reason why they tried to make a marketing splash with a mixed Tiagra/Sunrace/Tektro alloy Allez…
In addition to the component supply problem, they also have massive problems with framesets.
I have been waiting for my Allez Sprint Disc frameset for months, and the delivery date has been pushed back and removed from the systems lately.

There are also no Specialized (Pro) or S-Works framesets available anymore, bar some leftovers from previous years (mostly at the ends of the size spectrum, like 61s or 49s). It's causing a lot of consumer frustration, especially as Spesh's marketing continues to roll. At the same time, I am surprised how a company can survive this, as their cash flow must have dried up completely.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

joesch wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 9:32 am

In addition to the component supply problem, they also have massive problems with framesets.
I have been waiting for my Allez Sprint Disc frameset for months, and the delivery date has been pushed back and removed from the systems lately.

There are also no Specialized (Pro) or S-Works framesets available anymore, bar some leftovers from previous years (mostly at the ends of the size spectrum, like 61s or 49s). It's causing a lot of consumer frustration, especially as Spesh's marketing continues to roll. At the same time, I am surprised how a company can survive this, as their cash flow must have dried up completely.

It's crazy because Specialized had some of the biggest availability issues toward the beginning of the pandemic and they still seem to be one of the most heavily affected. I ordered my 54cm Domane RSL frameset at the end of December and it arrived 6 weeks later. Likewise I'm seeing plenty of new Cannondale SSE4s, Cervelo S5s, Cervelo Soloists, Madone Gen 7s, Enve Melees, etc. on the road.

Fideliojbc

by Fideliojbc

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:I have no rumors to share, only observations—there is virtually no stock for SL7s on the US Specialized site. If I am an executive at a bike company, there is no way in hell I am holding off on selling top-end road bikes longer than July for TdF vs Worlds or even later for Vuelta. Even if they do not come into stock until the later two, I highly doubt they will miss a chance to announce/debut the frame at TdF.
There are plenty of SL7 available in the US Specialized site. Expert available in all sizes, same as Comp. Even s-works frame is available in sizes 54 to 61.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

joesch

by joesch

Fideliojbc wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 10:42 am
ArtifactsInMotion wrote:I have no rumors to share, only observations—there is virtually no stock for SL7s on the US Specialized site. If I am an executive at a bike company, there is no way in hell I am holding off on selling top-end road bikes longer than July for TdF vs Worlds or even later for Vuelta. Even if they do not come into stock until the later two, I highly doubt they will miss a chance to announce/debut the frame at TdF.
There are plenty of SL7 available in the US Specialized site. Expert available in all sizes, same as Comp. Even s-works frame is available in sizes 54 to 61.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Not sure if they are tweaking the inventory display of their website based on geo-location - I just checked the US site (changed the region) and there is only one Tarmac frameset (black, size 58) available. The rest is entirely labeled "out of stock", the 2023 colorways for the Allez are not even displayed at all.

Again, I have no idea what their problem is with the framesets. From my annectodal evidence, in my cycling club there are at least 4 people willing to go for an SL7 or Allez Sprint frameset right now... if they were available in the "standard sizes" (54/56). Easily $10-15k in revenue from my very limited bubble alone and they are unable to tap into it due to lack of inventory.

Back to topic: therefore I see absolutely zero business reason to artifically hold back the SL8.
The more likely reasons seem either development related (incl. QA) or they face production and supply chain challenges.

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Maybe not available directly through specialized, but many european shops have stock for sl7 framesets. Some even with a discount.
I was in a dutch specialized concept store last week and they had a complete wall full of sl7 frames. Even two new Venge framesets.
Same in italy a few weeks back. Lots of stock.

I would assume you can find every colorway in your size in europe if you invest 10min of time

https://www.all4cycling.com/de/products ... multicolor

https://www.biker-boarder.de/specialized/3040606.html
https://nanobike.de/specialized-s-works ... KEQAvD_BwE

https://www.all4cycling.com/de/products ... -sl7-blu-1

https://nanobike.de/specialized-s-works ... KEQAvD_BwE

Karvalo

by Karvalo

ArtifactsInMotion wrote:
Honestly, this is due to Specialized manufacturing issues (whether covid related or otherwise) and there's nothing more to read into it than that. If they could have delivered more high end road bikes to sell over this past 6 or 9 months they absolutely would, regardless of what is happening when with the new SL8.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

eins4eins wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:11 pm
Maybe not available directly through specialized, but many european shops have stock for sl7 framesets. Some even with a discount.
I was in a dutch specialized concept store last week and they had a complete wall full of sl7 frames. Even two new Venge framesets.
Someone has Venge frames left? That's crazy. No offence but they must either be a terrible shop or just be terrible at marketing.

Also I think your links kinda prove the point that availability is low. No one's got more than one frame in one size in any given colour. That's quite abnormal!

robeambro

by robeambro

Karvalo wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:27 pm
eins4eins wrote:
Thu Jun 01, 2023 2:11 pm
Someone has Venge frames left? That's crazy. No offence but they must either be a terrible shop or just be terrible at marketing.
Especially in Italy there's still plenty of tiny shops with little to no online presence run by people who, let's put it kindly, wouldn't win awards for businessperson of the year. They might be doing a fine servicing job so I wouldn't call them "terrible shops" but selling bikes is a different job altogether.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com