Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL8

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Fabian Cancellara used 44cm ;-)
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

pmprego

by pmprego

Don't understand why people bother arguing who's using what. The companies are selling a product. Their goal is to make profit. They are not ONG's. If someone doesn't like some brand beahviour stops buying product from them. That simple. Complaining but keeping buying products from them is just dumb.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I think part of the issue is, people hate buying a bike with "standard size" components that they have to immediately change out. It would be nice if when ordering a bike you could request the bar/stem size, crank length, chainring size, and cassette.

For example I ride a 56, which tend to come with 42cm bars and 172.5mm cranks - If I wanted 40cm bars and 170mm cranks that can be a ton of money on top of a new bike. I realize that if a bike shop will have to order any bikes to have in the showroom with a certain spec, but if I'm ordering a new bike through the LBS (or straight from Specialized), I'd like to be able to specify the equipment that fits me.

As far as bars go, it has it's faults, but the Canyon bar that allows you to adjust the width is a pretty interesting feature as it allows the user to adjust the "standard" bar to the size they want.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

Mocs123 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:58 pm
I think part of the issue is, people hate buying a bike with "standard size" components that they have to immediately change out. It would be nice if when ordering a bike you could request the bar/stem size, crank length, chainring size, and cassette.

For example I ride a 56, which tend to come with 42cm bars and 172.5mm cranks - If I wanted 40cm bars and 170mm cranks that can be a ton of money on top of a new bike. I realize that if a bike shop will have to order any bikes to have in the showroom with a certain spec, but if I'm ordering a new bike through the LBS (or straight from Specialized), I'd like to be able to specify the equipment that fits me.

As far as bars go, it has it's faults, but the Canyon bar that allows you to adjust the width is a pretty interesting feature as it allows the user to adjust the "standard" bar to the size they want.
Except they don't allow you to adjust the stem length AT ALL, and the width of the bars cannot be less than 39 cm (I think), which is not narrow enough. So the net result there, with the current cockpit selection, is even worse.

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I imagine another company could use a similar concept and go between say 42 and 36. I can see the alure for a brand to be able to sell all of a model bike with the same exact bar.

Personally I like a bar and stem combo like the SL7 has as it makes it easier to change combinations, especially if it's done like the new SSEvo 4 or Trek where you can replace the stem without having to bleed the brakes.
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Mocs123 wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 4:58 pm

Pretty useless if you can't get the reach you need, which would be impossible if it's a combo!
And it is, isn't it :beerchug:
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

wooger wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:02 pm
If they cater to the mass market, the widest handlebar available stock would be 40cm, for L & XL frames.
The mass market is middle aged businessmen.

And don't get me wrong - some of those middle aged businessmen are wicked strong and fully up to speed with tech and trends... but only some. People with the knowledge level common in this forum are nowhere near as common in the wider bike world.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Minirac wrote:
Sun Apr 16, 2023 9:03 am
They must make wider bars with shorter stem - 440/90.. That narrow bar/long stem trend is a gimmick and will just chronically tighten your wrists, elbows and shoulders/neck over time.
Pretty much any form of repetitive exercise will chronically tighten something if you don't do any kind of stretching and/or antagonist excercises. Luckily though, pretty much anything that can get tight can also be stretched or antagonised.
Last edited by Karvalo on Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:28 pm, edited 1 time in total.

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

Anyway any more SL8 news?

wooger

by wooger

Yoln wrote:
Tue Apr 18, 2023 12:33 pm
Chill out, roughly 15% of the US male population has shoulders wider than 44, and 27% wider than 43.
Source? This sound way off, unless you're talking about jacket sizes or something. The distance between the AC joints which is relevant to handlebar width really doesn't vary much at all with the size of the rider. There will be some freaks, but how many are buying one piece carbon barstems? fwiw I'm 99% percentile in height and have broad shoulders, but happily ride a 40cm bar.
Karvalo wrote:
Wed Apr 19, 2023 7:20 pm
The mass market is middle aged businessmen.
Sure. But middle aged businessmen don't have wider shoulders than anyone else, and neither age or not being a stellar athlete make having bars too wide for your shoulders more comfortable.

filtered

by filtered

dexvd wrote:
Mon Apr 17, 2023 12:04 am
K4m1k4z3 wrote:
Sat Apr 15, 2023 9:24 am
2023 UDi2 Expert models are the same as 2022's - Tropical Teal, Maroon and the Black/Forest Green one. Don't know about availability though. I think there might be an UDi2 Pro version but probably either region-dependent or they cancelled it at the last minute. The spec didn't make sense imo - the SRAM Force Pro was spec'd with a PM but the UDi2 Pro wasn't. So just UDi2, Rapide CL II and Rapide bar. Not that the Shimano PM is anything to rave about but still... The Expert UDi2 is still better value imo - upgrade the wheels and the handlebar/stem and you're still well below the Pro price.
Is that for USA or Canada? Canada doesn't always get everything the states gets. If I could get a UDi2 Expert SL7 I would probably order it especially if there is no SL8 till 2024.
Have been trying to get a SL7 for a while (through my LBS), could have bought a Soloist, Propel or Supersix be riding them by now...
Even the 105 Di2 spec would probably be fine, throw a Stages crank arm, nicer wheels, tires and handlebars on and would be set.
2023 Comp with 105 Di2 for +$500 CAD] more than Rival AXS, already posted
https://www.specialized.com/ca/en/tarma ... 979-216925

splzd

by splzd

wooger wrote:
Thu Apr 20, 2023 1:43 am
The distance between the AC joints which is relevant to handlebar width
Never understood why this is an argument everywhere. Maybe it is for bike courirers, where the maximum width matters for squeezing through traffic - nothing on the bike should be wider than the widest part of your body. For everything else ergonomics, aerodynamics of the whole bike-and-rider-system nad 'maneuverability' matter. And relating to that I don't see why the distance between AC joints should define the bar width.

eric01

by eric01

Ooof enough of the handlebar width already. The topic is SL8 rumors
Specialized Tarmac Sworks SL6, Moots Compact, Carl Strong Titanium

BenCousins

by BenCousins

pmprego wrote:
Fri Apr 14, 2023 10:16 am
Why do people always seem to want revolution?? Does anyone expect things to change in a way that an amateur will suddenly be able to ride with a pro (not riding that revolutionary frame)?? I don't get it. Sorry.

Ok... a revolution for me would be: are they now willing to swap seatpost setback prior to purchase? Adjust cockpit prior to purchase also? That for me would be the minimum a manufacturer has to offer in terms of adjustability. I'm not buying from wallmart or decatlhon. I'm buying very expensive, luxury product.
Since when does adjustability some as standard just because a product is expensive and "luxury"?

At this price point there are bespoke options.

CrankAddictsRich

by CrankAddictsRich

so 4/20 announcement was new Epic World Cup.

My local shop is telling me SL8 at end of summer available in fall as a 2024 model. They're telling me it won't be at the tour, but I don't think I beleive that. In year's past, new Tarmacs have always been seen at Dauphine/Suisse and then officially announced at the Tour with usually somewhat limited release of SWorks models to the public at that time... then full release at dealer release event late august and bikes coming in to stores in the fall.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com