Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL8

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

hoosierdaddy

by hoosierdaddy

Anyone running longer than 130mm stem? If so, the one-piece bar is going to change things because my source says the longest stem length will be 130mm.

I only know one guy who runs a 140mm.

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

Get a bigger frame then - sl8 or whatever
simply blabla-ing

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

These days, handlebars and seatposts are both being sold as part of the frameset.

Discussion of these parts is surely to take place in the same thread. Especially when we already know from past experience that availability on bars will basically be terrible. However, when 1-piece bar talk strays into chat about general bike fit, it seems completely pointless and agree doesn't need to be clogging up the thread.

I would encourage everyone to take bar width vs aero convo to one of the existing dedicated threads, or start a new one.

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

maxim809
Administrator

by maxim809

To add to the above, we also want to make clear that if you want to dish it out to Spesh for not giving U the bar that U deserve, then, go for it, I guess, as long as it's Spesh SL8 specific.

We understand there is a huge gray area between General Bike Fit vs Specific Bar-Related Talk.

This 'huge' gray area, is often as large as the gaps in bar sizing options that these Halo manufacturers leave open.

Which is also as huge as the gaps between news of actual substance in all next-gen equipment rumor threads. So some gray-area banter is naturally expected.

"SKUs are hard"
"Made for riders, by riders"
@IamSpecialized...ButWaitHowCanIBeSpeshWhenTheseBarsAren'tExactly359mmBy151mm@8.33333°WhyyyySpesh...I_Paid15000USDForThisBike

Thank you ullmanz for linking the existing handlebar topics:
viewtopic.php?p=1802741#p1802741

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

skinnybex wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 4:29 am

Lol, you have a single picture of a bike box and the roval bars. My rumor say's the Sworks frameset will be $6,000 for Frame, fork and seatpost.
Lab71 SSE set the precedent, so yeah expect the S-Works SL8 to run $15000 at least, maybe even $15500 for a Red AXS / DA build.

ullmanz

by ullmanz

I found this post:
https://www.cyclonline.com/bicycles-new ... -news.html
But in the recent winter tests some athletes who race with Specialized trained with a Specialized Tarmac bicycle that showed some differences compared to the well-known Tarmac SL7.

First impressions are those we anticipated months back.

The new Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL8 will not lose the aspect of a light aero-bike, with better aerodynamics, starting from a new integrated and completely new guide group.

The passage of the cables will be completely internal.

The profile of the pipes will be more streamlined.

Weight could drop by around 50 grams, but stiffness and aerodynamics will be much better.

The price of the frame kit could be, in our opinion, around 6000 euros.
Specialized SL7 - 7.1kg including Garmin mount, bottle cages and pedals

otnemem

by otnemem

Stiffness maybe, aerodynamics being much better while dropping weight? I'm going to go ahead and say no.
The fact that cabling will be completely internal is my saving grace for not feeling tempted. Even if I don't do it very often, I need to be able to cram my SL7 in a bike box and I much rather be able to do it keeping the stem untouched.

spud

by spud

^ straight on! Spec has been designing/building these bikes for a while, and have it down pat. There's no free lunch where you can simultaneously gain on aero, weight, stiffness and ride compliance. You chose one against the others. Typical breathless marketing speak.

splzd

by splzd

ullmanz wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 9:49 am
I found this post:
https://www.cyclonline.com/bicycles-new ... -news.html

But in the recent winter tests...
This is completely wild speculation and contains no information or even sources. In the best case, it is a summary of all the rumors that are already in this thread anyway.
Last edited by splzd on Thu May 04, 2023 2:10 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

hoosierdaddy wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 5:29 am
Anyone running longer than 130mm stem? If so, the one-piece bar is going to change things because my source says the longest stem length will be 130mm.

I only know one guy who runs a 140mm.
Looking at the cable routing hole on the leaked bar pic it seems likely that the SL8 will be compatible with pretty much any bar/stem combo you'd want to run, like the SL7.

LanceLegstrong

by LanceLegstrong

Maddie wrote:
Wed May 03, 2023 9:03 pm
So you would prefer a SL8 rumor thread with 0 posts? Because there's nothing concrete to discuss
Absolutely.
Specialized Tarmac SL7
Specialized Crux
Velobuild 168
Trek Checkpoint ALR

OUGrad05

by OUGrad05

otnemem wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 12:39 pm
Stiffness maybe, aerodynamics being much better while dropping weight? I'm going to go ahead and say no.
The fact that cabling will be completely internal is my saving grace for not feeling tempted. Even if I don't do it very often, I need to be able to cram my SL7 in a bike box and I much rather be able to do it keeping the stem untouched.
I'm not really sure the tarmac aero can get "Much better". A few watts? Sure, but without turning it into an aero bike with big tubes, it sure seems like we're at the law of diminishing returns now for standard looking bikes. I'd expect a few watts better at 50km/h

CAAD8FRED

by CAAD8FRED

OUGrad05 wrote:
Fri May 05, 2023 7:34 pm
otnemem wrote:
Thu May 04, 2023 12:39 pm
I'm not really sure the tarmac aero can get "Much better". A few watts? Sure, but without turning it into an aero bike with big tubes, it sure seems like we're at the law of diminishing returns now for standard looking bikes. I'd expect a few watts better at 50km/h
Few watts better when it's already at 210 and 209 with 404s per Tour is already kinda pushing it. If they find any more watts in that frame it'll be faster than the Venge and pushing S5 numbers.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

The SL7 was designed within the constraints of the old UCI rules. I expect to see a deeper HT and larger compensation triangles. Even further dropped seatstays maybe. They could also massage Tour Magazine numbers with narrower bars as the stock configuration.

otnemem

by otnemem

They can absolutely make it faster, even significantly faster à lá Simplon, but dropping weight at the same time? Don't think so.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com