Specialized S-Works Tarmac SL8

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

chorus88

by chorus88

Nickldn wrote:
Mon Mar 25, 2024 10:41 pm
No to the stem and yes to the Roval Rapide spacers with the S-Works frameset. The normal Specialized frameset comes with both the stem and the Roval Rapide spacers.

It's gonna be an issue for S-Works customers seeing as the Roval Rapide integrated bars are out of stock in most sizes until summer.
Hungry customer base (Venge/SL6/SL7/SL8 owners) paying $$ for a unicorn product...nice!
Untitledrapide50.jpg
When Technology Becomes Emotion
2023 Tarmac SL7 Expert R8100 (90622-3352)

cyclespeed

by cyclespeed

I will be selling my 400 x 135 Roval Rapide as soon as I can get my 360.

This lack of handlebars must be killing SL8 sales for Specialized.....

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Jz91

by Jz91

It's the whole handlebar situation with speci that really leaves me baffled.
It took them a whole generation longer (so a good few years) than other manufacturers to come up with this bar whose qualities I have extensively discussed (including those lovely brake lines right in plain sight...yes I get it for travelling but still looks sh*t).
What's more annoying is the scarcity of alternative options.
The new vision does look interesting but I have doubts on how the acr cone spacer looks on the bike.

sigma

by sigma

cyclespeed wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 4:47 pm
I will be selling my 400 x 135 Roval Rapide as soon as I can get my 360.

This lack of handlebars must be killing SL8 sales for Specialized.....
Are they making a 36 or are you switching brands?
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

IchDien

by IchDien

What are the other options off the top of your head?

Nickldn

by Nickldn

The main alternative is a SL7 stem and Roval Rapide bars, or some other bars of your choice.

Not as pretty but more configurable, especially if the default option is out of stock.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

MVRD

by MVRD

got mine, 6 months ago before getting my SL8 frameset for 450euro from this german dealer: https://www.delta-bike.de/de/specialize ... /p-113354/

ourayimage

by ourayimage

Jz91 wrote:
Tue Mar 26, 2024 5:26 pm
It took them a whole generation longer (so a good few years) than other manufacturers to come up with this bar whose qualities I have extensively discussed (including those lovely brake lines right in plain sight...yes I get it for travelling but still looks sh*t).
The new vision does look interesting but I have doubts on how the acr cone spacer looks on the bike.
I'm happy with the Avian Canary integrated handlebar (38 cm). The bar is light, weighs 250 grams. Like the width better than the 42cm bar that came with the bike. Plenty stiff in the drops
for me.
Specialized Tarmac SL8 Pro 6.52kg with pedals

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

ourayimage wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 3:37 am
Jz91 wrote:
I'm happy with the Avian Canary integrated handlebar (38 cm). The bar is light, weighs 250 grams. Like the width better than the 42cm bar that came with the bike. Plenty stiff in the drops
for me.
Very nice! It says it comes with a carbon computer mount. How's the mount and does it accommodate a larger computer like the Garmin 1030 Plus/1040?

ourayimage

by ourayimage

There are lighter computer mounts out there. I doctored mine and got rid of the go-pro mount on the bottom and used shorter lighter screws for the Garmin mount. I have the 130 plus so it's a small computer but the mount is plenty long and at a good viewing angle. There are a couple of YouTube videos of the handlebar that will give you a good idea regarding its appearance. The bar has an aero shape but its shape is not as flat as the wing shape of the Specialized bar.
Specialized Tarmac SL8 Pro 6.52kg with pedals

pdlpsher1

by pdlpsher1

ourayimage wrote:
Wed Mar 27, 2024 4:42 am
The bar has an aero shape but its shape is not as flat as the wing shape of the Specialized bar.
Indeed, hence the lighter weight. For sure an aero shaped bar that's also flat and stiff like the Rapide will be heavier. I think the Avian strikes a good compromise between aero and lightweight.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Jz91 wrote:
... this bar whose qualities I have extensively discussed (including those lovely brake lines right in plain sight...yes I get it for travelling but still looks sh*t).
This is my favorite feature on this bar and Bontrager's.

tmrace

by tmrace

Swapping my BB and noticed some carbon flaking up from near the drain hole. It wasn't like that before, is this anything to have evaluated, or just install the new BB and ignore?
Attachments
IMG_4261.jpeg
IMG_4262.jpeg

mikehhhhhhh

by mikehhhhhhh

tmrace wrote:
Thu Mar 28, 2024 3:36 am
Swapping my BB and noticed some carbon flaking up from near the drain hole. It wasn't like that before, is this anything to have evaluated, or just install the new BB and ignore?
While there may be some inconsequential explanations for this, it's not something I'd want to put to the test.

I'd be looking for a warranty claim if it was me.

stevec1975

by stevec1975

Looking to get an S-Works SL8 in the very near future, confused by the Geometry, so used https://geometrygeeks.bike/ to compare versus my current bikes.

For reference, my Cervelo feels a bit 'tall' whereas the Scott is more stretched out/lower, which I prefer. Both have 100mm Stems and 38cm Bars.
My BB Centre to Top of Saddle Height is 710mm

• Is the seat tube measurement correct on the SL8, it looks much smaller than my Cervelo/Scott for the same size bike?
• I assume the measurement of Top tube actual vs effective is fairly similar when accounting for sloping top tubes?
• If I went for the 54, would I need a 38x115 Roval cockpit, or similar, to put me in a similar position to my Scott?

I would prefer to have a decent amount of seatpost showing, but don't want a ridiculous amount, what sizes are people running with, who have a similar BB to Saddle height?
bikegeo.PNG

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com