4iii Precision 3

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

sigma

by sigma

Curious as to how people have found the reliability of this power meter. I read some of the negative reviews when it launched but was curious if anyone has longer term perspectives to share.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

blaugrana

by blaugrana

I have had one for a few months, on a GRX800 crank (left side only). So far I haven't had any issues, and there is nothing to suggest that the readings might be off. Compared to my other power meter, a power2max, this one is maybe a bit slower to react, but it's not by any means a deal breaker. Of course being left side only the error will be higher, but for the price I'm happy with it so far.

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Very happy with it. My first choice are always the Favero Assiomas but if that doesn't work (like on my gravel bike with SPD pedals) or isn't necessary (because the bike already came with 4iiii installed) I'm perfectly fine with the Precision 3. They have battery life that seems to last forever. According to 4iiii it's 800 hours and it seems realistic.

All in all: Affordable, reliable and battery life for ages. Nothing to complain about.

It's important to buy the Precision 3 though. The previous version 2 has significantly less battery life (about 100 hours) and is harder to fit due to its larger dimensions.

I still prefer Favero because they are a bit more responsive, more versatile (easy to move between bikes if necessary) and auto calibrate.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

Im satisfied with my ultegra 4iiii. Had it repaired once because of outages.
Was a bit of a darf because they send a loaner and you have to send yours to Canada with fedex which don't really have shops in my area.

I'd buy it for my 105 specced bike too, but don't want r7000 when the rest is r7100.
And paying full for factory install... Nah

thirdsun

by thirdsun

Additional note: Today I received a firmware update for my Precision 3 which gave me an excuse to check the battery status in the app: 75% after 6000 Km of riding. Absolutely beautiful.
  • Canyon Aeroad CF SLX 8 Di2
  • Cervelo Caledonia Rival eTap AXS
  • Vitus Venon Evo
  • Canyon Grail CF SL 8 Di2

ABogle

by ABogle

I bought the r7000 3rd gen one two weeks ago, I'm in the process of returning it as its faulty. This is the message I sent to 4iiii support.

"Hi I've used the 2nd gen 105 non-drive side pm on a series of bikes for over 2 years without any issues. The clearance on my new bike but was very tight so I bought the 3rd gen and moved the 2nd gen to another bike. The 2nd gen pm produced accurate power on this new bike without any issue

However from the first ride the 3rd gen has been very inaccurate, it frequently produces very high numbers (300+ for very low efforts) for prolonged periods of time until recalibrated at the side of the road. Although less common it also does the opposite and produces very low numbers (100-150 even for very hard efforts). Recalibration sometimes temporarily fixes this and results in normal power numbers (say 180-240 for fairly normal riding), this typically doesn't last long (maybe 10-20 mins before problems start again) and sometimes recalibrating makes it worse or flips it from very high numbers to very lower numbers and vice versa.

I have tried factory resets, updating firmware and reinstalling the crank arm twice for good measure. All of which hasn't resulted in an improvement. Is there any else I can do other than go through the warranty process with Wiggle where I bought it?"

They said just to go through the warranty process with Wiggle. I will seek a replacement rather than a refund.

jays0967

by jays0967

I've had exactly same issue with my first GRX 810 3rd gen. None of them (calibrations, reinstalling, etc.) worked and I just ended up with getting a replacement. With a new one, now everything works perfectly well. Luckily in my case the entire process was easier as I bought it from Competitive Cyclist, but it seems it's a bad batch of hardware after all.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Conradsleight

by Conradsleight

I had a Gen 2 and will never buy 4iiii again. Absolute garbage, super unreliable and was reporting like 600+ watts when I was soft pedaling. Their customer support though friendly, was not particularly sophisticated and did not leave me with confidence. Had to return within a month. I also had a friend who used to work there in Calgary and from the stories he told me, I'm not surprised. Too bad, as it'd have been nice to have a solid Canadian bike brand. Also speaking of brand, whoever is calling the shots on their marketing and brand clearly has no idea what they're doing.