Light, Aero Flat Tire Bag

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

I thought someone here might like to see the bag I designed and had made by Kaibab Gear for $50. On the Marginal Gains podcast they mentioned that a saddle bag is swung side to side when standing, causing some energy loss, and more so on a bike with a really high seat. For aero I'd always wanted a bag that fills the area between my lowered Arundel Aero water bottle and seat tube so hearing the podcast got me to start working on it. The end result weighs the same as my micro seat bag while moving that weight very low. It fits perfectly and looks very aero. It attaches with the lower water bottle bolt on the seat tube znd some patches of velcro. I'll have a taller bag made that uses both seat tube bolts for when I want to carry more.
Attachments
20230328_163429.jpg
20230328_163452.jpg

BenCousins

by BenCousins

Nice, I've been considering some kind of custom option for this type of thing. But aren't those aero bottles really awful?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

rudye9mr

by rudye9mr

made my peace with a tool bottle and advances in pumps e.g. topeak's two-way have allowed for a pump in jersey pocket.

nice design -is it water proof?

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

No comment on the bag, but chapeau for the 11spd Red!

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Never cheer before you know who is winning

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

BenCousins wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:59 pm
Nice, I've been considering some kind of custom option for this type of thing. But aren't those aero bottles really awful?
I haven't had a problem with it, but also haven't heard any other reviews. Aero bottle choices are slim. My old Specialized cracked and I think this was the only replacement I found.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

rudye9mr wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 7:06 pm
nice design -is it water proof?
The material and stiching look like they'd at least be very water resistant. I only specified that be light, thin, and have a little structure.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

wheelbuilder wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:44 pm
No comment on the bag, but chapeau for the 11spd Red!

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk
On an otherwise DA9000 bike!

robeambro

by robeambro

Lelandjt wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:37 am
I thought someone here might like to see the bag I designed and had made by Kaibab Gear for $50. On the Marginal Gains podcast they mentioned that a saddle bag is swung side to side when standing, causing some energy loss, and more so on a bike with a really high seat. For aero I'd always wanted a bag that fills the area between my lowered Arundel Aero water bottle and seat tube so hearing the podcast got me to start working on it. The end result weighs the same as my micro seat bag while moving that weight very low. It fits perfectly and looks very aero. It attaches with the lower water bottle bolt on the seat tube znd some patches of velcro. I'll have a taller bag made that uses both seat tube bolts for when I want to carry more.
It's an interesting concept - I wish one wouldn't have to renounce to the seat-tube bottle cage. I mean, if you are to forgo a bottle, at this point you might well use a "storage bottle" with a sort-of-aero shape. Not being rude, I appreciate the creativity.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

robeambro wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 9:23 am
Lelandjt wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 9:37 am
It's an interesting concept - I wish one wouldn't have to renounce to the seat-tube bottle cage. I mean, if you are to forgo a bottle, at this point you might well use a "storage bottle" with a sort-of-aero shape. Not being rude, I appreciate the creativity.
I've never used 2 bottles because of weight. I think this is more aero than your idea because it creates a smooth flat serface from the downtube to the rear wheel. The idea isn't mine though, it comes from the Specialized bikes that have storage in the nook between down and seat tubes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

*Photos attached for another thread*
Attachments
20230418_153234.jpg
20230418_154414.jpg
20230418_154423.jpg