Shimano bleed kit

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

warthog101

by warthog101

Had the brake hoses and cables on my '21 Revolt shortened recently.
Lost braking power with excessive lever travel on the front brake afterwards.
Had it back to the shop for a bleed and it was better for a bit but now has excessive lever travel again.
Time to learn to do it myself.
Grx 600 levers and 400 calipers. No obvious leaks.
I am thinking the Park Tools BKM-1. Expensive but seems good.
Or would this do the job?
https://www.amazon.com.au/SHIMANO-Works ... B08YJTSDHN

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

If you've got exclusively Shimano, I would get the Shimano kit. It has everything you need, including Shimano-specific bleed blocks; I used it to install/bleed the new Dura Ace 9200 calipers with my 9120 levers. Worked perfectly.

How long has it been since the shop bled the brakes? History, including losing power the initial time, seems suspicious.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TwiggyForest

by TwiggyForest

If you can wait a few weeks, these AliExpress kits are pretty decent and cheap.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_msZmcoW

Eterna7m

by Eterna7m

I agree. Have you checked if the brake hose is damaged somewhere, so air is able to enter the system?

frnchy

by frnchy

The aliexpress kits (or equivalent) are also available on Amazon for a few dollars more, but with much faster shipping. I got a basic kit with everything I needed to bleed Shimano road+mtb brakes, including 100ml of oil, for ~$26 or so. It's worked great for about 6 bleeds over 3 bikes and should work for a while to come. For personal use, I really don't see the need for the extra features/durability that something like the Park Tool kit would provide.

snaxez

by snaxez

I have this Jagwire Elite Mineral Oil Bleed Kit. Works great with high quality syringes and will last a lifetime.
https://jagwire.com/products/tools/elite-bleed-kit

warthog101

by warthog101

CyclingGiraffe wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 2:59 am
If you've got exclusively Shimano, I would get the Shimano kit. It has everything you need, including Shimano-specific bleed blocks; I used it to install/bleed the new Dura Ace 9200 calipers with my 9120 levers. Worked perfectly.

How long has it been since the shop bled the brakes? History, including losing power the initial time, seems suspicious.
Thanks.
A handful of rides since the last bleed. 300km or so.
The brake line appears to have been shortened at the caliper end as the bar tape remains untouched.
The brake still works it just has more travel than it should at the lever. Doesn't pump up like a car brake would though, I've tried.
Whether that should work or not I don't know. I'm a disc brake numpty. :oops:

harblhat

by harblhat

snaxez wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:23 am
I have this Jagwire Elite Mineral Oil Bleed Kit. Works great with high quality syringes and will last a lifetime.
The plastic they use for the lever fittings is very soft. I stripped mine after two bleeds, being very careful because the Shimano kits also have soft threads.

Jagwire was very good about sending me
e some new fittings in the mail, but I'm wary.

The newer Shimano professional bleed kit uses lever cups with much more robust plastic

rowdyyy

by rowdyyy

The Shimano kit works very well. Using it for a while now on multiple bikes and can confidently recommend it.

snaxez

by snaxez

harblhat wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:07 pm
snaxez wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 6:23 am
The plastic they use for the lever fittings is very soft. I stripped mine after two bleeds, being very careful because the Shimano kits also have soft threads.

Jagwire was very good about sending me
e some new fittings in the mail, but I'm wary.

The newer Shimano professional bleed kit uses lever cups with much more robust plastic
My kit has been fine so far. Only done a few bleeds, but you dont have to thread it hard.
You can try to use shimano adapter with the jagwire kit. It threads on to the jagwire syringes.
https://www.bike24.com/p2250699.html

kode54

by kode54

I'm not sure if the newer Shimano bleed tool has revised the connection to the newer 9200 12-speed caliper bleed nut.

I am now using the Park Tool bleed kit. It includes a nice adapter that fits securely in the bleed nut without any issues and allows bleed without spilling any fluid. I have the old original first gen Shimano kit. Its okay but not ideal for 12 speed calipers.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

harblhat

by harblhat

kode54 wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 3:22 pm
I'm not sure if the newer Shimano bleed tool has revised the connection to the newer 9200 12-speed caliper bleed nut.

I am now using the Park Tool bleed kit. It includes a nice adapter that fits securely in the bleed nut without any issues and allows bleed without spilling any fluid. I have the old original first gen Shimano kit. Its okay but not ideal for 12 speed calipers.
It (professional kit) does, yes. The new fitting is a metal one that fits very snugly into the 12s calipers but comes out without much fuss or mess.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com