Compatible cranksets Sram 12 speed

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

As topic says, which crankset + chainrings are perfectly compatible with AXS?

Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

DaveS

by DaveS

Campy 12 speed cranks will work. I use Shimano GRX with 2mm spacing washers to correct the chain line. The AXS FDs work fine with a 16T difference at the crank. Praxis makes chain rings that are rated to work. Shimano 12 cranks should work, but a 50/34 would make for a big top gear.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

DaveS

by DaveS

Deleted.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

DaveS wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:29 pm
Campy 12 speed cranks will work. I use Shimano GRX with 2mm spacing washers to correct the chain line. The AXS FDs work fine with a 16T difference at the crank. Praxis makes chain rings that are rated to work. Shimano 12 cranks should work, but a 50/34 would make for a big top gear.
I looked at zero frictions clip about chains and compatibility. He told us some interesting stuff about for instance Sram and flattop chain, cassettes etc.
He also says that mizing will give you a result as worn drivetrain. Some combos were almost dangerous if for instance, you are sprinting.

I've seen Rotor makes specific chainrings for AXS, FSA K-force team crankset have axs chainrings and carbon-ti, if i'm not mistaken.
To be honest, i'm a bit worried. I am in this to buy spare for my rim brake bike as Etap gen 1 is gone.

Ah, better safe than sorry. Bought the AXS standard crankset. Hell, this update is expensive with all that's need to go from 11 to 12 speed.
Bearings, new cassettes (i ordered angluar dub kit from Enduro) and several free hubs :cry:
Have lots of 11 speed cassettes here and my Etap is problem free. Is it an idea to sell it or should i keep it?
Last edited by wheelsONfire on Tue Mar 28, 2023 4:40 pm, edited 4 times in total.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

DaveS

by DaveS

Some products are listed as compatible, but shift poorly. I've logged about 15,000 miles, mostly on GRX cranks with no problems. Even SRAM cranks don't seem to shift all that well, or the owners can't figure out how to set up the FD. No shifting problems for me.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

DaveS wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 2:59 pm
Some products are listed as compatible, but shift poorly. I've logged about 15,000 miles, mostly on GRX cranks with no problems. Even SRAM cranks don't seem to shift all that well, or the owners can't figure out how to set up the FD. No shifting problems for me.
I have no clue, but i have a guess! I think it's pending on the frames. I have a hard time seeing how 11 speed would work great, and 12 speed less so!?
Anyway, if you look down at the FD, maybe it's sensitive to the angle not just horizontaly?
Only thing i find troublesome is going for 48/35 since i feel minimum small chainring i do like somewhat is 36T.
50/37 had been ideal with a normal cassette.
Lets say 11-18 with 12 cogs. I had hoped Sram would release an optional cassette.
I coould never spinn out a 50-10 combo.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

DaveS

by DaveS

Flat land riders really don't need 11 or 12 speed, but that's what's available. Compare gear ratios, not chain ring sizes. A 48/10 is the same as a 53/11 and many flat land riders only want a 53/12, which is a 4.4/1 ratio. A 46/10 is bigger than that and good for speeds up to 38mph. A 48/11 is a 4.36/1 ratio - almost identical to a 53/12.

Sram uses a 13T chain ring difference to produce about the same percentage of change as a 53/39.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

DaveS wrote:
Wed Mar 29, 2023 1:30 pm
Flat land riders really don't need 11 or 12 speed, but that's what's available. Compare gear ratios, not chain ring sizes. A 48/10 is the same as a 53/11 and many flat land riders only want a 53/12, which is a 4.4/1 ratio. A 46/10 is bigger than that and good for speeds up to 38mph. A 48/11 is a 4.36/1 ratio - almost identical to a 53/12.

Sram uses a 13T chain ring difference to produce about the same percentage of change as a 53/39.
Yeah i ordered 48/35. But i really don't like a smaller chainring like 35. I'd gladly have a 50/37 running a 11-28 cassette or even 11-26.
But looking at zero frictions info, i noted that Sram isn't really compatible with anything else than Sram chain, chainrings (there are proper aftermarket AXS chainrings) and cassette.
According the ZF it will shift like way worse (if mixing Sram AXS with Shimano or Campa) and if sprinting it can even be dangerous.
Otherwise i had probably used shimano cassette. A pity Rotor doesn't have correct chainline and same Q factor as Sram.
I don't really get why Rotor use 43.5 and 46mm (offset axle)

Shimano 12 speed 44.5mm chainline
Sram 12 Speed 45mm chainline
Campa 12 speed is also 45mm chainline i think!?

Sram even have 45.5mm chainline on my current 11 speed.
FSA have 44.5mm.

Closest would be Rotor offset axle with 46mm, but Q-factor is 152mm and Sram have 145mm.
The new FSA K-force team looks great and available with AXS chainrings. But it's so darn expensive.
And just as Sram, only direct mount chainring combo. Personally i'd prefer *2 chainrings which could allow me to mix sizes.
I use 50/36 now.

Finally, yes, it's pretty flat here. No long winding descents or long climbs.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

LouisN

by LouisN

wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:56 pm

I fitted two Rotor Aldhu cranks and 12S AXS chainrings (48/35) and 10-28 or 10-30 cassettes, on my twins's Tarmac SL7 bikes (SRam AXS equipped) last year. Never had a shifting problem (besides usual Sram $h_t ;) ).

Louis :)
Last edited by LouisN on Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:29 am, edited 2 times in total.

LouisN

by LouisN

delete

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

LouisN wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:26 am
wheelsONfire wrote:

I fitted two Rotor Aldhu cranks and 12S AXS chainrings (48/35) and 10-28 or 10-30 cassettes, on my twins's Tarmac SL7 bikes (SRam AXS equipped) last year. Never had a shifting problem (besides usual Sram $h_t ;) ).

I know of a custom builder how uses Rotor by default with AXS chainrings. They're Italian if that matters!?
Are you running Q-rings or round?
Usual shit, what does that translate to, chain jumps outwards or inwards?
Had you same issue with standard Etap?
I have used FSA K-Force light and standard RED, no problems. Also used Stronglite C2 chainrings. None of thoseissues people complain about.
I can run full cassette up and down 50-28 or 50-11 and same with the 36t chainring.
Shifting from big to small up and down no matter where on cassette. Two chains, RED or FSA WE chain.
Use either RED 11-26, 11-28, Shimano and Edco cassettes.
I would be estranged if AXS weren't of same caliber. I think Etap and Etap AXS are sensitive talking vertical and horizontally
Or better explained, X, Y and Z
landv.jpg
landv.jpg (8.57 KiB) Viewed 3746 times
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

LouisN

by LouisN

Round rings.
Usual Sram malfunction came from the system suddenly go on some "protection mode" if you hit a big pot hole for example (they are racing UCI level, so many times in large pelotons you don't see what's coming and the bike hits hard on potholes). I think it comes from a very short disconnection of the batteries after discussing with bike techs, from shaking the bike on rough terrain.
The shifting itself is not a problem, everything shifts fine.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

LouisN wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 12:50 pm
Round rings.
Usual Sram malfunction came from the system suddenly go on some "protection mode" if you hit a big pot hole for example (they are racing UCI level, so many times in large pelotons you don't see what's coming and the bike hits hard on potholes). I think it comes from a very short disconnection of the batteries after discussing with bike techs, from shaking the bike on rough terrain.
The shifting itself is not a problem, everything shifts fine.
How come you went with Rotor over RED?
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

LouisN

by LouisN

Leg (and crank arm) length : The team couldn't get 165 mm cranksets at the time. Availability was an issue. Heck, they were sponsored by Specialized AND Shimano and the only SL7 bikes available were Sram equipped...
They still carry their Rotor Aldhu setups on different bikes (and teams), now on Shimano Ultegra 12S (with the Shimano 12S Rotor round chainrings) and still great shifting.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stinus77

by stinus77

LouisN wrote:
Thu Mar 30, 2023 2:26 am
wheelsONfire wrote:

Maybe you can help me out here? I have a Trek BB90 and recently purchased a rotor adlhu24 crank for my force axs setup (50-37 rotor axs chainrings). But it will not shift towards the big ring? chainline issue? Should I use more spacers? Alignment issue? What a pain in the ass :(