Whos running an ALUMINUM cassette?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

theyoungconnoisseur

by theyoungconnoisseur

1200watts peak 280ftp ride exclusively in big ring and almost entirely 18-15cogs shifting maybe 50times total per ride.

Are these going to just wear out instantly or can I get 2k miles out of one? they are super light... just got another bike with new dura ace and would love to sell the cassette on it and get 2x all aluminum ones that save a full 100g.

lmk cheers

Erlandal

by Erlandal

100g, which you'll never be able to feel, for a loss in durability in the tens of thousands of km. What's the point really?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Discodan

by Discodan

Tend to agree, given you're in FL and only shifting 50 times a ride there's not too much benefit to saving 100g in my mind. If you were in the alps it might be a different balance. But to answer your question, I was using a hybrid cassette where the first 4 gears were Aluminium and that lasted about 4,000km before is start skipping but that was with waxed chains rotated

Mocs123

by Mocs123

I too doubt that you would notice a 100g in somewhere as flat as Florida! A guy in my club just did a 500 mile race in Florida and he had less elevation on the ride than we did tonight on our 20 mile ride after work!
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

theyoungconnoisseur

by theyoungconnoisseur

I though this was called "WEIGHT WEENIES" forum not "ride that fat pig bike support group"
this bike is the new canyon ultimate dura ace =, I threw away 2 grand extra just to save 300g over the ultegra, spending 150$ to save 100g is like the best $:weight ratio ever. Especially if it lasts at long as a rear tire ill be happy.
Anyways, I was going to take that new Madone SLR over seas with me but decided to get this canyon instead as its lighter & looks like a regular bike not worth stealing as much as the crazy flash high end SLR looks.

So yeah im at my home in FL now where I do about 80meters of elevation each ride but I do tons of stop light stops and sprint up to speed and I just want a light bike as im finally healthy enough to ride and want the best lightest stuff.

if anyones got one please post your thoughts.

Knedragon27

by Knedragon27

Set it up 1x , theres your - 100 and something grams easy . FD and little chain ring gone

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

Knedragon27 wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 7:00 am
Set it up 1x , theres your - 100 and something grams easy . FD and little chain ring gone
Exactly. Sounds like a perfect match

jih

by jih

I've used one for short hill climbs events. I also had a 10s cassette with 4 cogs left in, and 6 cogs worth of spacers.

They last ok in the big sprockets. Something like a 30t sprocket isn't worse than a 30t chainring in my experience. That's why SRAM use alloy for the biggest sprocket on some of their cassettes. But the medium/small sprockets can break teeth off within the first 1000km.

The weight is really close to the middle of the wheel, so the impact on the moment of inertia of the wheel isn't great. This means that accelleration won't be impacted very much compared to saving weight at the edge of the wheel.

I'd use again in a 2 minute hill climb. I'd be hard pressed to want to use one in a 100km hilly RR. I 100% wouldn't use one for general riding and training, even if I was giving an infinite supply of alloy cassettes for free.

The $/g isn't that great if you consider $/g/km.

C36

by C36

Trying to answer your question
- can it last 2k miles. Yes
- would I use them to race, no, at least not regularly. The reason is that you may want to be a bit more gentle changing gears that what may happen in race situation. With one really bad shift at full power you may damage it way quicker than you would love to.
- to extend life I would have a new chain and wax it. The longer the chain keeps its original pitch, the better the stress is shared among the tooth.

If you search in the forum you will find feedbacks on recon al cassettes.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Kayrehn

by Kayrehn

5k kilometers on my bdop alloy and it's all good. I'll say give it a go.

Sent from my Pixel 6 using Tapatalk