What is the most likely scenario, rim brake availability

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Hello people,

i would like to ask what you feel is most likely.
When i bought my bike i fitted it with Etap.
Sram told me all Etap spares were sold out during the pandemic. As i understand, the new/ forthcoming RED will not have rim brake option, as we all know, new Force doesn't either.
So i have a hard time believing Sram will hold spare parts for current AXS rim brake.
Buy another groupset just to once again be told, sorry dude, it's all sold out.

With this in mind, i start to contemplate if it would be more safe to go forth with an all mechanical groupset?
Never had Campagnolo, but it seems they are more inclined to actually have spare parts and components available for some time to come.

How would you do if you were in the same situation?

All inputs appreciated!

Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

spib

by spib

I have a bike with sram force axs rim brake. The only component that's actually rim brake specific is the levers. Assuming newer axs components are compatible with old levers, all you would need to stockpile is levers, and maybe rim brake xdr free hubs. Unfortunately those are the hardest things to find.

Maddie

by Maddie

I don't understand the problem. The likelihood that SRAM will not further support rim brakes when they have sold out current AXS rim brake stock is 100%. Therefore, as mentioned before, just get spare AXS shifters. 2 left and 2 right AXS shifters will get you going for at least 10 years.

bobones

by bobones

Only the 11-speed Red eTap FD is unavailable as a spare. AXS shifters are compatible with 11-speed eTap and you can easily find the A2 RD for sale new.

I have 1 AXS disk brake bike and 4 AXS rim brake bikes (a couple with Shimano cassettes and non-AXS cranks) and I am not in the least bit worried about getting spares in the future.

Shifters are likely to be the only difficult part to find, but rim brake shifters are simple mechanically and electronically, so they are unlikely to go wrong unless you break them in a crash. Even then you're more likely just to scrape them up. With people 'upgrading' to disk, you might find there's a surfeit of rim brake shifters on eBay in future. With the 1x sets so cheap, you could buy one to keep for spares and you'll be good for years to come.

There have been some great deals on AXS rim brake upgrade groups recently, particulary the 1x sets. Red 1x was on sale for £699 at Christmas and Force can still be found for about £650. Add a Rival FD and you have a cheap 2x set up. Red rim brake calipers are on sale now for about £115 the set and Force calipers are easy to come by or go with EE.

In short, buy rim AXS now and some spare shifters then don't worry.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

For Etap i guess it's mostly the FD that turn out to be a problem. If the AXS shifters can be used with Etap and the latest Etap RD seems available.
Yeah, i need to think about this. Honestly, i'm not keen on "stocking" components.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

BenCousins

by BenCousins

wheelsONfire wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 2:37 pm
Hello people,

i would like to ask what you feel is most likely.
When i bought my bike i fitted it with Etap.
Sram told me all Etap spares were sold out during the pandemic. As i understand, the new/ forthcoming RED will not have rim brake option, as we all know, new Force doesn't either.
So i have a hard time believing Sram will hold spare parts for current AXS rim brake.
Buy another groupset just to once again be told, sorry dude, it's all sold out.

With this in mind, i start to contemplate if it would be more safe to go forth with an all mechanical groupset?
Never had Campagnolo, but it seems they are more inclined to actually have spare parts and components available for some time to come.

How would you do if you were in the same situation?

All inputs appreciated!

Assume someone somewhere will be making rim brake groupsets for a very long time (Aliexpress guys maybe?) and chill.

FFS you can still buy brand new mechnical typewriters and pay a dude to make you a horse drawn carriage.

Bondurant

by Bondurant

The inside of my wardrobe has looked like a Campagnolo Pro Shop for the last couple of years since I had that same concern OP.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bondurant wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 10:18 pm
The inside of my wardrobe has looked like a Campagnolo Pro Shop for the last couple of years since I had that same concern OP.
:lol:

I do understand you :thumbup:
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)