power2max NGeco SL vs NG non-SL

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

arcatern

by arcatern

Hey folks!
I've had power2max and quarq pm's before, and much preferred the power2max. zero issues, ever, and the quarq had to be sent back for warranty because of a faulty strain guage. This is pre-SRAM, so maybe things have changed. Also, I hate DUB, and can't find the GXP crankarms in stock anywhere. So double "no" from me.

I upgrading my bike to the ultegra 8170 (it's heavier than dura-ace, I know, but I'm on a tight budget), and am debating between:
1) a new power2max NGeco shimano 4bolt in SL variant - 124g
2) a used NG non-sl. - 175g

They're basically the same price, and the NG still has 4 of the 5 years of warranty on it.
The NGeco will be lighter, but shorter warranty. NG is rechargable (which I think is better?) and greater accuracy.

What would you all do?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

LOWIEV

by LOWIEV

I have the NGEco shim SL.

it's pretty much install and forget. no issues... ever.
Battery life of the CR-battery is also very good and no problems with accuracy .

i would go for the SL (lighter and bombproof ;) )

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

arcatern wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 8:03 am
Hey folks!
I've had power2max and quarq pm's before, and much preferred the power2max. zero issues, ever, and the quarq had to be sent back for warranty because of a faulty strain guage. This is pre-SRAM, so maybe things have changed. Also, I hate DUB, and can't find the GXP crankarms in stock anywhere. So double "no" from me.

I upgrading my bike to the ultegra 8170 (it's heavier than dura-ace, I know, but I'm on a tight budget), and am debating between:
1) a new power2max NGeco shimano 4bolt in SL variant - 124g
2) a used NG non-sl. - 175g

They're basically the same price, and the NG still has 4 of the 5 years of warranty on it.
The NGeco will be lighter, but shorter warranty. NG is rechargable (which I think is better?) and greater accuracy.

What would you all do?
Thats a hard one. I have both. Warranty is a non issue on power2max. I had a type S still going strong after 8y no issue even after two severe accident with impact of a car.
Im right now sending back a NG 4SL as my bike deleivery is postphoned for months grrr.
My other NGEco is now 4y old no issues. The battery goes a longer way then the rechargeable one. So its a bit more practical depending on the situation.
The NG is 1y also no issue and basically all of them read the same ... One of the few pm who work consistent. I would only consider the Assioma pedals instead.
I also run a rotor crank and rotor chainrings to shed more weight and I like the looks more ...

pushpush

by pushpush

I have p2m NG and assioma pedals. Both have been 100% trouble free and reliable. Data from pedals is arguably better, but I say arguable because it depends on which data you care about.

I had a quarq before and found it problematic in different ways. Didnt hold a charge reliably and would sometimes have sensor dropouts with it.
Also have an Easton/RaceFace spindle meter. Data is simpler single side data but data is reliable. I had a problem with water intrusion that they warranty replaced. It has been solid ever since.

If I had to choose only one pm to buy tomorrow, it would hands down be the assioma pedals.

Aeo

by Aeo

https://www.bike-discount.de/en/sram-re ... -crank-set
https://r2-bike.com/SRAM-RED-eTap-AXS-C ... erface-GXP

GXP in stock here for example

Another light alternative is a Sigeyi AXO. If you are in the EU, they are available relatively cheaply at this Danish bike shop: https://www.velowearcycleclub.dk/en/var ... and=sigeyi
Giant TCR Adv Pro Disc '17 · BH Lynx Race Evo '19 · Seraph GR029 '21 · Canyon Inflite AL '14