SRAM 110/130BCD 5-Arm chainrings for Shimano 12spd

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

Probably it was discussed somewhere, but here is the problem that I'm trying to solve

I want to run Shimano 12spd drivetrain with my existing Quarq powermeter (I have both 110 & 130 BCD 5-arm versions) and would like to know if someone tried to run such combo: 12spd Ultegra cassette + SRAM 11spd rings + Shimano 12spd chain. How does that work in terms of front shifting? I know that Shimano 11spd cranksets work with 12spd drivetrain (at least those were used by pro peloton upon 12spd intro and shortage of supplies), bu how about SRAM?

My current setup: 110BCD Praxis Road Buzz 12spd compatible 52/36 rings + SRAM AXS shifters/derailleurs + Ultegra 12spd chain / 12spd cassette = subpar shifting up front with occasional chaindrops inboard and outboard. I've managed to tune SRAM FD to have as little as possible of such issues, but this means no shifting under load.
  • 12spd Ultegra chain - front shifting was slow and noisy
    12spd SRAM flattop chain - front shifting is much better, but now rear cogs slip due to oversized rollers :-)
This led me to trying Shimano 12spd drivetrain except for the crankset, as I'd like to keep my Quarq PM. The options I have:
  • 130BCD with 11spd SRAM rings
    110BCD with 12spd Praxis rings (see above)
I know that both will sort of work, but which one would deliver better front shifting experience or I should give up and look for Ultegra 12spd crankset + Stages?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Ritxis

by Ritxis

samarskyrider wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:54 pm
Probably it was discussed somewhere, but here is the problem that I'm trying to solve

I want to run Shimano 12spd drivetrain with my existing Quarq powermeter (I have both 110 & 130 BCD 5-arm versions) and would like to know if someone tried to run such combo: 12spd Ultegra cassette + SRAM 11spd rings + Shimano 12spd chain. How does that work in terms of front shifting? I know that Shimano 11spd cranksets work with 12spd drivetrain (at least those were used by pro peloton upon 12spd intro and shortage of supplies), bu how about SRAM?

My current setup: 110BCD Praxis Road Buzz 12spd compatible 52/36 rings + SRAM AXS shifters/derailleurs + Ultegra 12spd chain / 12spd cassette = subpar shifting up front with occasional chaindrops inboard and outboard. I've managed to tune SRAM FD to have as little as possible of such issues, but this means no shifting under load.
    12spd SRAM flattop chain - front shifting is much better, but now rear cogs slip due to oversized rollers :-)
This led me to trying Shimano 12spd drivetrain except for the crankset, as I'd like to keep my Quarq PM. The options I have:
I know that both will sort of work, but which one would deliver better front shifting experience or I should give up and look for Ultegra 12spd crankset + Stages?
I don't have a power meter, but I have mounted the Ultegra 12s with Sram Red Exogram GXP cranks with Miche chainrings, and it works perfectly, i have the Deore CN-M6100 chain, the derailleur is thinner than with an 11s derailleur and the same cranks/chainrings and 105 11 chain

Hexsense

by Hexsense

My Rotor 12 speed rings shift a lot better than Rotor Aero 11 speed rings.
I'd almost vote that but it's 4 bolt...

For 5 bolts, Wickwerks got my vote. It shift better than Sram rings.
50/34 https://wickwerks.com/products/road-compact-5034/
53/34 https://wickwerks.com/products/53-34-ultra-wide-sram/ <- Yes, it's 53 with 34. Not 39.

If you want Shimano rings, get Sigeyi 4x110 Spider inplace of your Quarq. Then pair with Shimano rings.

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

Hexsense wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 5:21 pm
My Rotor 12 speed rings shift a lot better than Rotor Aero 11 speed rings.
I'd almost vote that but it's 4 bolt...

For 5 bolts, Wickwerks got my vote. It shift better than Sram rings.
50/34 https://wickwerks.com/products/road-compact-5034/
53/34 https://wickwerks.com/products/53-34-ultra-wide-sram/ <- Yes, it's 53 with 34. Not 39.

If you want Shimano rings, get Sigeyi 4x110 Spider inplace of your Quarq. Then pair with Shimano rings.
Thanks for the reply! To clarify, the goal is to spend less and get the same or acceptable performance compared to original rings :-)

gruppetto

by gruppetto

-

apr46

by apr46

I guess you already have the shimano drivetrain? If you were willing to run the flat top chain with the praxis rings, why not run a Sram cassette too? That seems like the cheapest solution.

milanv

by milanv

samarskyrider wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 2:54 pm

I have Absolute Black chainrings with Shimano 12s groupset.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

samarskyrider

by samarskyrider

apr46 wrote:I guess you already have the shimano drivetrain? If you were willing to run the flat top chain with the praxis rings, why not run a Sram cassette too? That seems like the cheapest solution.
Not quite so :-) When I was building the bike, there was a short supply of components and I couldn't source sram xdr freehub and cassette, so I had to buy shimano 12spd cassette that fits HG freehub.

Long story short, I'd like to try shimano di2, but want to keep Quarq and avoid hassle of selling completely fine PM and then searching for stages

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk