S-Works Torch sizing

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

inertianinja

by inertianinja

For years I've been running s-works shoes in size 45.5 + the "green" high-arch footbed.

After a crash, I recently upgraded to the new S-Works Torch, same size, same footbed. Im comparing these to my S-Works 6 shoes side by side. Just testing on the trainer right now.

I'm noticing that the Torch are *substantially* roomier in the toe box, not only width, but height - I can pretty easily scrunch my toes up now. On the 6, I can move my toes but it's definitely limited.

I know the Torch were wider by design, which is probably a good thing, but I'm wondering if this sounds like proper sizing? Has anyone had to size down on the new Specialized shoes?

(Side note, after wearing overly restrictive cycling and dress shoes for years, I'm just now starting to try wider shoes, so it seems weird all around)

otnemem

by otnemem

Going from "normal" shoes to properly fitted (human foot-shaped, anatomical) shoes usually requires a bit of time to adapt. Focus on fit from the heel up to the ball of the foot. That's where it's supposed to be fitted. Toes can and should have plenty of room to curl, extend, splay, in order for the foot to function properly. You can google "windlass mechanism" for more information on this, but basically without the ability to extend, curl and splay the toes, the plantar fascia can't be activated as intended.
As long as the foot isn't sliding inside the shoe, you're alright. If that's the case, give it time and your feet will thank you.

Personal anecdote: moving to Altra and Topo trainers/runners and Birkenstock shoes/boots made my feet VERY happy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

otnemem

by otnemem

So today I went by the flagship big S store and walked out of there with a pair of S-Works Torch. Did the Retül fit. Tried the Exos half a size down as it was handy - Nope. Tried the Torch in the prescribed 44.5 - Very good but a hot spot bilaterally, right on the internal aspect of the navicular bones. Guy gets me the red insoles, not because I need the support but to elevate the foot just a tad - Bliss. Best fitting shoes I've tried, ever. I'll try them tomorrow on the trainer.

Same 44.5 size as the Bont Helix, half a size up on the Northwave Extreme RR (but that's an entirely different fit altogether).
Last edited by otnemem on Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

inertianinja

by inertianinja

I ended up going to Specialized store, turns out I needed to size down a half size for the Torch.

otnemem

by otnemem

Did you just try them or did you do the Retül fit first?

inertianinja

by inertianinja

otnemem wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 1:27 pm
Did you just try them or did you do the Retül fit first?
If that question was for me - I did a Retul fit in 2022 with my S-Works 6 shoes (45.5) + Green Spec footbeds. Size was correct.

The new Torch are 4mm wider and, it seems the closure system fit me differently, resulting in me having to crank them down to the point of the upper bunching a bit. Long story short, going down a half size made them fit like my 6's.

otnemem

by otnemem

That's weird. Retül was spot on for me. Maybe it's been updated since?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

inertianinja

by inertianinja

otnemem wrote:
Sat Mar 25, 2023 5:44 am
That's weird. Retül was spot on for me. Maybe it's been updated since?
I dunno. All I can say is im wearing my 45.5 6's now and they fit perfectly. The 45.5 Torch, with the same insoles, were clearly too big (including too long).

More likely it's my feet, and not the retul protocol.