Vintage Quill Stem or adapter?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

joejack951

by joejack951

None of these are mine but they all use the product I developed:

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

joejack951, what is the product you have? These look very good and conforms to the modern stem aesthetics.

I assume it is something that provides a 1 1/8 steerer like quill addition that allows modern stem to go on. How heavy is it?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

glepore

by glepore

joejack951 wrote:
Tue Mar 21, 2023 9:59 pm
None of these are mine but they all use the product I developed:
Tell us more, please.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

joejack951

by joejack951

sevencyclist wrote:
Wed Mar 22, 2023 9:21 pm
joejack951, what is the product you have? These look very good and conforms to the modern stem aesthetics.

I assume it is something that provides a 1 1/8 steerer like quill addition that allows modern stem to go on. How heavy is it?
It's sold under the name 'innicycle' as a 'threadless conversion headset' (www.innicycle.com). It's a full replacement headset with an integrated threadless adapter, the end result being something that's pretty indistinguishable from an actual threadless setup all while retaining the stock fork without modification. There's quite a bit of discussion about it on the first two pages of this thread: viewtopic.php?f=3&t=159403

Weight, uncut, is 240 grams but if trimmed to the max that goes down to ~185 grams give or take a few depending on the stem clamp height. A true weight weenie could shave some grams drilling out the flanges of the cups and perhaps using ceramic balls in the bearings. I've subtracted a few grams from the system over the years and may go a bit further as we are nearing the time to kick off another production run. Not everyone cares about the weight and the cost is already significantly more than basic adapters so I'm more limited than I'd like to be.

Install video:

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

Thank you for sending this. Looks quite interesting. So the 240gm plus new threadless stem and spacers weight would be in place of the old headset and quill stem weight. Is that correct? How much wegiht saving do you typically see by switching to this system compared to a decent quality traditional set up? Thanks in advance.

joejack951

by joejack951

Per Google and multiple sources, a Campagnolo Record threaded headset is 104 grams. Per my scale, a Cinelli 1A quill stem is 314 grams. So that’s 418 grams for the system.

An innicycle headset at 240 grams and a light but not uber-light stem at say 120 grams will then save you a minimum of 54 grams. Spacers would cut into that, of course. Trimming the innicycle can bring that up to over 100 grams. And there are plenty of sub-120 gram stems out there. Don’t forget that you can now also use far lighter handlebars than what is commonly available in 26mm clamp format.

MikeD

by MikeD

I've got a quill adapter on one bike. The stem is slammed so it looks pretty good. If I had to raise the bar, couldn't I put just spacers under the stem to make it look better? That Innicycle adapter is pretty expensive for something that's entirely cosmetic. Quill adapters are cheap.

Nitto makes a steel quill stem with a 4 bolt faceplate to take a modern large diameter sized bar. It's pretty ugly looking though.

joejack951

by joejack951

MikeD wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 4:53 pm
I've got a quill adapter on one bike. The stem is slammed so it looks pretty good. If I had to raise the bar, couldn't I put just spacers under the stem to make it look better? That Innicycle adapter is pretty expensive for something that's entirely cosmetic. Quill adapters are cheap.
A common, and generally reasonable sentiment. However, consider the following:

1. Price - an innicycle includes a full sealed bearing headset. Plenty of older bikes need new headsets anyway and their cost isn't negligible
2. Weight - an innicycle is lighter as a system than any threadless adapter and threaded headset will be
3. Stiffness - the design of the innicycle allows the steerer tube portion to be supported by the upper headset bearing, an advantage that true threadless systems also have over typical threaded setups
4. Looks - 'looks pretty good' and can be rigged up to look ok with extra spacers vs. (IMO) looks like a threadless headset and easily allows for spacers are things many are willing to pay extra for, regardless of only being cosmetic
5. Stack height - getting rid of the upper locknut and the wrench flats on the upper race allows for a stem height a good 10mm lower position than achievable with a threaded headset and adapter (if slammed is your thing)

MrStop

by MrStop

I'm currently using an Innicycle adapter (https://www.innicycle.com/), although I am in the process of switching to a 1" threadless carbon fork. My bike build is here: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=171685. Note that I havent cut down the adapter in my pics, but it's able to be done if you want.

I highly recommend the Innicylcle if going the conversion route. It's a more solid and robust setup than the standard quill adapters. I think it shaves a few grams off also.
Last edited by MrStop on Fri Mar 24, 2023 7:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

MrStop

by MrStop

LOL, I didn't see the second page until I replied.