Time to acquire a full SR12 mech rim spare group?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

rollinslow

by rollinslow

It's all in the headline, I was thinking it is probably time to invest in a full spare SR12 rim brake mech groupset, several sets of spare cables and housing, and campy brake pads.

What do others think? Are you stocking-up?
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

AJS914

by AJS914

You should wait until 12 speed is discontinued and you can get some great deals. Cables, housing, and brake pads will be available for a long time.

gaspard123

by gaspard123

yes, absolutely, the sky is falling
seriously, I would consider the operative word in your question, the verb: acquire. Does it mean "invest" in case things go up in price and fall in supply? maybe, but do you have a frame already? do you expect the pretty reliable 12s stuff you have to wear out or fail (then is the tech that great, anyway?). I agree with first response: let others do the hording and when and if you need spares, go for it, hopefully in the interim between "discontinued, so old tech at possible discount" and period piece reconstruction/collector's item rare price hike (and if you fall into the latter buyer's position, you might start wondering why you should pay more for old tech...)
SR12 is no doubt gorgeous, near flawless stuff, but so was the original rear derailleur when it came out, and they do not fit on the same era frames. Horde saddles and shoes, maybe rims/wheels (less durable than other hard goods; cassettes should be freely available), but not rim brakes and shifting mech's. I think there are plenty in the wild for the vast numbers of consumers seeking them out (eye roll) and should be for some time, and then a 75th anniversary Eroica special edition will come out the year before the factory closes. buy then

gaspard123

by gaspard123

for the record, I was not debating your choice of the word "acquire;" it was more, does that mean invest for the long term vs just buy because, heck, why do I need a reason to buy? I still do not think there will be a shortage of cables or brake pads anytime soon. and when was the last time your wore out a derailleur, especially one made by the big C? If you are worried about future crash replacements maybe Super Record should not be the first choice....If you are wearing out brake pads regularly, it might be time to consider disk (that was a joke)

claus

by claus

I bought a lot of Campagnolo 11 speed stuff "back then", esp. shifters.
Now I notice that the rear derailleurs are failing -- after 10 years
the main spring either broke (one so far) or is getting "weak" so shifting
into the small cog is "slow"...
Hence now I'm trying to buy (used) rear derailleurs - and they are more expensive
than those I bought new.
I also can't find "old" style rim brake wheels for any acceptable price,
so all this talk that people are selling off that kind of things for little
money doesn't seem to apply -- at least for those things I need.

Summary: if you like the stuff and want to use the same technology for a while:
stock up before it's too late/expensive.

kode54

by kode54

Good points. But it always seems that what I want, others do as well and I end up paying more than I should or wanted to. Never seems to go my way. LOL
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

satanas

by satanas

Sometimes things just become unavailable too - either at all, or at least for any vaguely sane price.

If it was me I'd only keep spares for things that might wear out or be totalled in a crash, for instance rear derailleurs, shifters (and/or the actual brake lever blades), brake hoods, chainrings, cassettes (if you must have SR), etc.

rollinslow

by rollinslow

Lots of good points here. As you can see from my signature, I already have disc, electronic, etc covered. This is purely about having access to my favorite groupset on a mech rim bike I love riding.
Moots Vamoots RSL (2019)-Super Record 12
Cervelo S1 (2010)-Super Record 12
Kestrel RT700 (2008)-Dura Ace 9000
Mosaic GT-1 (2020)-SRAM Red viewtopic.php?f=10&t=174523

AJS914

by AJS914

I think a big factor would be whether Campagnolo moves all road to 13 speed (doesnt' seem likely) and/or changes the pull ratio on derailleurs. Or, if they discontinue rim brake equipment (also doesn't seem likely). In the rumor topic, it's been speculated that Super Record will be EPS only and Record will stay as the mechanical option.

So, it seems like you have to no immediate fears of not getting parts though if you needed a spare, it may need to be Record instead of Super Record.

I wouldn't stockpile anything until something is officially anounced or discontinued. Cables and things will always be available.

mag

by mag

Campagnolo is known for a good availability of older spare parts and also consumables such as housings, cables, brake pads. You can still get the previous generation ones now (though you may have to wait for a long time to get some of them into your hands). I wouldn't worry that much yet. But yes, they may reduce their offerings going forward, but not to the extent that you wouldn't be able to service your components (many of those parts are compatible with multiple groupsets).

We will definitely have a clearer picture after the release of the next generation groupsets (will they discontinue rim brake offerings completely or partially? will there be any cross-compatibility between the current and next generation components? etc).

But if you find something on an attractive sale, then sure feel free to go for it.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com