Off-Center Valve Hole?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

treyxt

by treyxt

I just received a new Disc wheel today for my TT bike, and I noticed the valve hole is off center slightly. Should this be a cause for concern? It's a PremierBike Carbon Disc wheel.

When I asked if I should be concerned about this, PremierBike said "With a clincher/tube it does not make any diffference. With tubless the rubber inner is cone shaped and will fill the hole."

what do?

Specialized Tarmac SL7 10r 61cm (Raw Black Carbon) / r9170 Dura-Ace Di2 11sp / Lightbicycle AR46
Cannondale SuperSlice Hi-Mod 58cm (From EF) / r8050 Ultegra Di2 11sp / AeroCoach Ascalon Carbon / AeroCoach AEOX Zephyr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

WTF is PremierBike. Demand a replacement and then never deal with them again.

Miller

by Miller

That would be one approach. Or you could fit a valve and tyre and just ride the wheel.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

It depends how much of a hassle it is to send it back.
Frankly, it's pretty crapp qc, but I'm sure it would work fine.

kode54

by kode54

Is it off centered in the outside as well? If not, I wouldn’t worry about it. If it’s off center on the outside where the valve stem exits, it would bother me.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

marsa

by marsa

I am guessing they use standard spoked rim for this disc wheel (with fairings), and the rim has offsetted spoke holes to balance the tension. If this is the case, then the offset valve is normal.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

marsa wrote: I am guessing they use standard spoked rim for this disc wheel (with fairings), and the rim has offsetted spoke holes to balance the tension. If this is the case, then the offset valve is normal.

PremierBike is selling generic profile rims. They are not asymmetric and even if they were, the valve hole would be drilled centrally.
Miller wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 8:12 am
That would be one approach. Or you could fit a valve and tyre and just ride the wheel.

Contrary to what they claim, offset valve holes with narrow rims can be problematic for tubeless valves.

viewtopic.php?p=1707579#p1707579

treyxt

by treyxt

marsa wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 10:25 am
I am guessing they use standard spoked rim for this disc wheel (with fairings), and the rim has offsetted spoke holes to balance the tension. If this is the case, then the offset valve is normal.
it is a structual carbon wheel, like zipp super9, with a foamcore and structural carbon, no spoked wheel here.

Thanks for the replies. PremierBike is a small USA based company. Dan (Owner) is a frequent poster on the SlowTwtich tri forums and his products get very good reviews on there. He claims all the wheel molds are his designs.

Anyway, the slowtwitch user said: "On a disc, it's probably angled out slightly (by design) to make putting the pump head on easier in the cutout" (reminder this is a disc wheel - not disc brake wheel)

and after talking with Dan from PremierBike more, he is saying that all of the disc wheels he sells has the hole off-center like this.

Still a bit concered especailly with the post linked above though^^
Specialized Tarmac SL7 10r 61cm (Raw Black Carbon) / r9170 Dura-Ace Di2 11sp / Lightbicycle AR46
Cannondale SuperSlice Hi-Mod 58cm (From EF) / r8050 Ultegra Di2 11sp / AeroCoach Ascalon Carbon / AeroCoach AEOX Zephyr

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

treyxt

by treyxt

After to talking to some others on time trial groups/forums, it seems to be intentional so that your pump adapter has room inside the cutout for the valve. If this weren't the case the pump adapter would hit the back wall in the cut out. Thanks for the replies everyone.