Good news for rim brake fans

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Stendhal

by Stendhal

Chapter2 is bringing back the rim brake version of the bike I currently ride, the Rere aero bike. Pretty bold and I think smart move for a company I respect. The company usually sells in limited quantities but there will be enough to go around. I have the disc version and absolutely love it, that being said it's an older approach to aero (airfoil) that was interesting to say the least when I rode it in 50 mph winds. My frame also was heavier than the posted weight (1250 in size L vs posted 1050 in size M) although the bike weight overall was fine (that being said I have low depth lighter wheels)

https://www.chapter2bikes.com/product/r ... blue-moana
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

alanyu

by alanyu

Boring and a joke on their stembar size

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hexsense

by Hexsense

Shame, their fork offset and head tube angle for size S looks good but bb drop is less than I'd like.
I'd be interested if size S has 72mm bb drop or more (74mm preferred).
But at 68mm... pass.

nickf

by nickf

As a rim brake fan, I like to see this even though the bike is fugly. Not EE direct mount compatible, bummer.

Stendhal

by Stendhal

nickf wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:53 pm
As a rim brake fan, I like to see this even though the bike is fugly. Not EE direct mount compatible, bummer.
Exactly! Except that I like parts of the aesthetic, mainly the thin top tube and kinked seat stays. While I am all-in on disc brakes, I understand and sympathize with rim brake supporters and want that to remain as an option. If a market exists, smart entrepreneurs will serve it. Chapter2 thinks the market is there (and/or wants to further use its investment in the rim molds). That's a good sign. And while Chapter2 is relatively small, it is not trivial. A smaller company, Volagi, was a material factor in driving the industry to disc brakes.

As to an earlier poster, having just returned from a ride, I can confirm that the Rere is the opposite of boring.
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Thanks for the heads up! It can certainly make for an interesting and lightweight build.

I don't think a typical airfoil design would make it less aero than a truncated one, but to make it effective (and probably *very* aero) would take a bit of a compromise on the water bottles (placing it on the ST rather than DT, or using an aero bottle). If I am not mistaken, 2 of the fastest bikes tested by Tour were the Felt AR and the old Cervelo S5... both with rim brakes and with standard airfoil designs.

I wonder if the adapter that Specialized created for the rim brake Tarmac SL6 would allow installation of a DM eeBrake on the Rere...

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Can't help myself, but good news would also be if for instance Sram actually made rim brake options on the new and forthcoming groupsets.
Not much help if framesets comes, but no or very limited rim brake options.
It feels like a raging war and one team is running extermination all in with no POW.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

adilosnave

by adilosnave

Love my Rere (rim brake!). Got it right when they came out in 2018. In my opinion, the direct-mount Dura-Ace brakes combined with Mavic Exalith wheels results in the best-performing braking system this side of disc, without all the hassle and complexity. Even so, I built up a Factor 02 Disc last year and it basically feels the same. I could be blind-folded and probably wouldn't know the difference.

Chapter2 is just plain awesome.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eins4eins

by eins4eins

wheelsONfire wrote:
Sat Mar 18, 2023 7:32 pm
Can't help myself, but good news would also be if for instance Sram actually made rim brake options on the new and forthcoming groupsets.
Not much help if framesets comes, but no or very limited rim brake options.
It feels like a raging war and one team is running extermination all in with no POW.
Thats all in your head. If you want to continue riding rim brake bikes, buy whats available and stop crying. Tech won't get any better anyway.