Silencing internal wires and hoses in barstem - tips?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Anybody have an tips to deal with a Di2 wire that rattles over rough chipseal? The noise is located halfway between the shifter and the stem. The noise appeared after LBS silenced wires in the downtube. :evil: I would prefer not to dismantle the bike. That leaves a couple of small holes on the underside of the bar as access points. Having difficulty imagining an easy solution.

Tks.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

Plastic ties, cheap and effective
simply blabla-ing

eins4eins

by eins4eins

Foam. I had some leftovers, which came as transport protection material in a packacke, for the same exact thing. Pushed it into the bar through the cable entry at the shifter with a sushi stick. Expanded enough to stop any movement and noise.

milanv

by milanv

KarlGLS wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:44 am
Plastic ties or the same standard foam for hoses in down tube.

jih

by jih

Foam packaging material works if you push it in with a thin stick. Really, anything that will take up a bit of space will do the job.

ms6073

by ms6073

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:40 am
Anybody have an tips to deal with a Di2 wire that rattles over rough chipseal?
You could run the Di2 wires inside an appropriate diameter of heat shrink tubing then carefully apply heat to shrink it before inserting the cables into the bars. Alternately, Jagwire markets an Internal Housing Damper , basically a foam liner that is normally used to with hydraulic brake hose inside the frame but I would think it could also be used to insultate the Di2 wires.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

eins4eins wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 7:10 am
Foam. I had some leftovers, which came as transport protection material in a packacke, for the same exact thing. Pushed it into the bar through the cable entry at the shifter with a sushi stick. Expanded enough to stop any movement and noise.
So it is possible to stuff something in there - that's good. I feared the hole was too small to get anything useful in there.

Another idea I had was to bend a pipe cleaner into a tight corkscrew (helix) and screw it into the hole as it circles around the Di2 wire.
KarlGLS wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:44 am
If you mean the Shimano branded cable holders (or even cable ties/zip ties), I assume I would need a fair bit of slack wire to attached them to, and then shove back into the bar?
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

KarlGLS

by KarlGLS

The longer the better, keep them lightly loose and they should go easily inside the bar
simply blabla-ing

kode54

by kode54

I've used these cable split sleeves since I didn't want to cut the cables again and rebleed the hydro.

https://www.amazon.com/Alex-Tech-10ft-P ... th=1&psc=1

They work pretty good...maybe not as good as thicker foam, but its enough to silence the hard plastic. Its a plastic wire mesh that's expandable and holds tightly so it doesn't fall off of the hose.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

pushpush

by pushpush

Some zipties every few inches will do the trick. Wrapping the wire in a sleeve of thin foam sheeting that often comes wrapped around new products you purchase has also worked well for me. Cost being zero AND lightweight are a bonus.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

kode54 wrote:
Sun Mar 19, 2023 3:20 pm
I've used these cable split sleeves since I didn't want to cut the cables again and rebleed the hydro.

https://www.amazon.com/Alex-Tech-10ft-P ... th=1&psc=1

They work pretty good...maybe not as good as thicker foam, but its enough to silence the hard plastic. Its a plastic wire mesh that's expandable and holds tightly so it doesn't fall off of the hose.
That's an interesting product. Did you insert it throught the handlebar port as you wrapped it around the installed wire?

kode54

by kode54

Since it splits and holds tight, you can install it several different ways. So if you plan to install it after hoses we’re bled, wrap it from any entry port. It’s not silent as much as foam but them again, it prevents that rattling sound and helps with integrated barstem routing since it reduces the abrading of the plastic outer on hydro hoses.

I moved to this from foam since it is lighter, can install without cutting hoses and the thin casing so I can snake it along many thin areas like the chainstays.

So, the answer to your question, yes, on Black Inc aero barstem. Hope that helps.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com