Broken stupid bianchi handlebars on their stupid aero bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

spartacus

by spartacus

RTW wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:14 pm
spartacus wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:35 pm
guyc wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:07 am
My take. We're all Freds and wannabes compared to the pros. Anyone here with a pro win is excluded.
.... I'm friends with a real professional cyclist that really is stuck with a stupid cockpit and he/his team are making compromises on their fit because of their sponsorship....
Does he take a salary from the team, or does he ride for free? If it is the former, he needs to learn to be more professional and grateful for his lot. Or, he could become a privateer and ride what he wants.

Edit - removed my comment on waving, as too atagonistic
Jesus christ dude whatever.

Fine, you guys think the bars are fine and good and nobody should care what size bars and stem they get. Got it, COOL thanks for supporting these companies, (if you see me don't bother waving, sounds like you'd fit in great with these OC fools)

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

Tell me what you would prefer:

1. All teams have homogonised equipement. The better riders do not have their pick of the teams / equipment.
2. The team sponsored by Bianchi loses Bianchi's sponsorship because they cannot (yet) provide bars in every size combination and Bianchi decides that for this reason they wont come on board.
3. Your friend is employed and gets a chance to do for money what most people [here would] do for free.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

I agree that the bar dimensions are silly.
I agree with most on the Oltre RC being … an acquired taste.
I disagree with unsubstantiated claims about the bars being weak because they broke in a crash.
Last edited by TobinHatesYou on Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:51 pm, edited 1 time in total.

spartacus

by spartacus

RTW wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:46 pm

1. All teams have homogonised equipement. The better riders do not have their pick of the teams / equipment.
2. The team sponsored by Bianchi loses Bianchi's sponsorship because they cannot (yet) provide bars in every size combination and Bianchi decides that for this reason they wont come on board.
3. Your friend is employed and gets a chance to do for money what most people [here would] do for free.
How about option 4, companies make cockpits that make sense or provide two piece options instead of proprietary one size fits all solutions that are based on looking cool so that they can sell to people who want to look fast and don't really care about actually being fast.

spartacus

by spartacus

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:08 pm

I disagree with unsubstantiated claims about the bars being weak because the broke in a crash.
You're right that's a conclusion I'm jumping to.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

spartacus wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:26 pm
RTW wrote:

How about option 4, companies make cockpits that make sense or provide two piece options instead of proprietary one size fits all solutions that are based on looking cool so that they can sell to people who want to look fast and don't really care about actually being fast.
Option 4 currently doesn't exist - that's the point.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

spartacus wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:09 pm
narrower bars are no less stable than wider bars. If anything they're more stable because you have a less forceful input on the steering combined with a longer stem.
By stable, if you mean tracking stability that is not the issue - I am talking about steering control. The shorter lever arm increases the ratio of movement. X mm of input from the rider results in greater steering than a longer lever arm. People who aren't on their bike regularely, and even some who are, don't seem to have great control of the where the front wheel is pointing. Narrower hand placement adds to the challenge. And a wider base of support is also good for those with a mediocre sense of balance. Add it all up and these guys can be scary when they get up out of the saddle and at other crucial moments.

And the idea that narrower is "no less stable" than wider flies in the face of gravel and mtb bars. Although again, it's more about control than stability.
spartacus wrote:
Don't believe me? Try it for yourself.
You've been on here long enough to know I have, and have had a few bikes and not afraid to spend if I saw something I wanted, bars included. Had 40cm on my Factor, tried 38 but settled on 42. Preferred the feel for out of the saddle efforts - simple as that. But the end of my hoods are 36cm apart - narrow enough for aero tuck. So perhaps all these companies that make all these wide bars have people like me in mind. :D But OTOH, maybe I am doing it all wrong. :noidea:
spartacus wrote:
If people insist on riding on wide bars fine, they're just going to go slower and that's their problem.
How much slower? It would be interesting to know how many added watts I have to push with 42 bars instead of 38 (I ain't riding 36, my shoulders are crazy wide). Note also that my hand and arm position will be the same on both bars when in an aero tuck. My hands go to the postion I prefer, with the shifter postioned to meet them.

Wannabe - that's funny. If I am exactly what I-want-to-be, then am I no longer a wannabe?

Final thought, the Bianchi is so heinous looking it is offensive, and that bar is probably a piece of crap.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Andrew69

by Andrew69

spartacus wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:56 pm
44cm bars are ridiculously wide and are a poor choice if you want to go fast.
Dont even worry about the go-fast bit, 44cm bars are pretty much too wide for anyone to be comfortable and actually fit.
Plenty of videos on YT where bike fitters discuss this and how this is cause the majority of riders wrist issues.
I come from a weight lifting and swimming background (as well as work a physical job) and I am damn wide for a cyclist and even I wouldnt dream of using anything over a 40cm bar daily

Wi11

by Wi11

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:08 pm
I agree that the bar dimensions are silly.
I agree with most on the Oltre RC being … an acquired taste.
I disagree with unsubstantiated claims about the bars being weak because they broke in a crash.
Exactly this

skinnybex

by skinnybex

spartacus wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 6:26 pm
RTW wrote:

23’ Cervelo Soloist / 6.88kg - 1x Crit Bike
22' Cervelo R5 / 6.35kg - Climbing Bike
22' Cervelo Caledonia 5 / 7.55kg - Travel Bike
21' Cervelo Aspero / 8.06kg - Gravel Travel Bike
23' Cervelo Aspero 5 / 8.25kg - Gravel Race Bike

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

Ironically, Cancellara -- also known to go by the moniker "Spartacus" -- won lots of races riding 44cm wide bars.

robeambro

by robeambro

CyclingGiraffe wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 12:51 pm
Ironically, Cancellara -- also known to go by the moniker "Spartacus" -- won lots of races riding 44cm wide bars.
Ironically, at the time not much was known about aerodynamics and the entire peloton rode on similar widths, meaning there was no penalty for riding wide bars. The same can't be said about today - even though a good amount of pros still ride bars that are not aerodynamically optimised.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

robeambro wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:31 pm
CyclingGiraffe wrote:
Ironically, at the time not much was known about aerodynamics and the entire peloton rode on similar widths, meaning there was no penalty for riding wide bars. The same can't be said about today - even though a good amount of pros still ride bars that are not aerodynamically optimised.
Is that why it's taken 30 years to break the record on the Poggio? Ah, now I understand!!

guyc

by guyc

And maybe lots of them know they're not riding the most aero but they are the most comfy for them.

robeambro

by robeambro

ultimobici wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:33 pm
robeambro wrote:
Mon Mar 20, 2023 1:31 pm
CyclingGiraffe wrote:
Is that why it's taken 30 years to break the record on the Poggio? Ah, now I understand!!
Yawn. Ride what you want..

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com