Broken stupid bianchi handlebars on their stupid aero bike

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tarmackev

by tarmackev

guyc wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:07 am
My take. We're all Freds and wannabes compared to the pros. Anyone here with a pro win is excluded.

It's not what you ride, it's that you ride.
Reading your posts on this thread. I agree 100%

tarmackev

by tarmackev

RDY wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 9:49 pm
Bianchi have been absolute trash for years now, and some would argue, deathtraps. This incident and the new bike's ridiculous design doesn't do much to alter that perception.
That's a bold statement. Any genuine statistics to back it up?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

jih

by jih

People can ride whatever width bars they want. And if you're faster then them because your bars are narrower, that's great too! Who cares what sporting equipment choices other people make?

For one, wider bars are less twitchy. It's fine to want your bike to be a bit more stable more than you want to go a bit faster. I tried 38cm and couldn't get on with it, but 40cm was the sweet spot for me.

RDY

by RDY

tarmackev wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:32 am
RDY wrote:
Bianchi have been absolute trash for years now, and some would argue, deathtraps. This incident and the new bike's ridiculous design doesn't do much to alter that perception.
What statistics do you want? There aren't any available for any brands' build quality or safety. The industry is almost totally unregulated. Which is a big part of the problem.

I've met Bianchi dealers who won't ride them, riders with major failures, heard lots of stories, observed quality that's total crap myself, and then there's Raoul's relatively recent hit piece - which was unusually strongly worded for him.

I can't say for sure that they're the absolute worst of all the major brands, but it's been my impression. There are many contenders for worst in class.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Last I checked this was Weight Weenies not Aeroweenies forum so even though Aero interests are still a big part of threads in this forum its not what the majority of ppl here are focused on.
In the past bars were sized according to shoulder width and stems sized according to your reach and frame size. I have wide shoulders so for me to be comfy on anything less than 42 its not happening and as I get older my shoulders are not what they used to be but I think I could get on with 42. One of the other factors is how bars are measured as some are C=C and also outside = outside.
Lets not forget some of the bigger track sprinters will be on wider bars that are not so aero.
To each their own, if you want aero be aero, if you want lightweight and handling thats fine too. If you want both aero and lightweight more power to ya.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

If we should list all fails here we can list many many brands. With that said, i don't aim to defend Bianchi.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

spartacus

by spartacus

guyc wrote:
My take. We're all Freds and wannabes compared to the pros. Anyone here with a pro win is excluded.
Sure maybe I came on a little strong but I'm friends with a real professional cyclist that really is stuck with a stupid cockpit and he/his team are making compromises on their fit because of their sponsorship. Meanwhile consumers don't even realize/want to admit they're being done dirty by these brands which are ignoring aerodynamics that matter and trying to cheap out on cockpits that "look cool" and are compromised in integrity and fit options; meanwhile people are actually defending this BS and telling me I'm the one in the wrong.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

spartacus wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:35 pm
Meanwhile consumers don't even realize/want to admit they're being done dirty by these brands which are ignoring aerodynamics that matter and trying to cheap out on cockpits that "look cool" and are compromised in integrity and fit options; meanwhile people are actually defending this BS and telling me I'm the one in the wrong.
No so much wrong, rather some of us have reservations condemning Bianchi for two bar failures during crashes. On the first crash Hofstetter's bike was absolutely messed up with evidence of multiple impacts on all sides of the bars. The second crash his right side was covered in mud.

As for the width thing, there might be a better way to look at it. I for one absolutely do not want any "Fred's" riding on narrow bars anywhere near me. A lot of these clowns I encounter can't keep the bike straight under the best of circumstances. The though of some of them on narrow bars is terrifying.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

tarmackev

by tarmackev

RDY wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:43 am
tarmackev wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 10:32 am
RDY wrote:
What statistics do you want? There aren't any available for any brands' build quality or safety. The industry is almost totally unregulated. Which is a big part of the problem.

I've met Bianchi dealers who won't ride them, riders with major failures, heard lots of stories, observed quality that's total crap myself, and then there's Raoul's relatively recent hit piece - which was unusually strongly worded for him.

I can't say for sure that they're the absolute worst of all the major brands, but it's been my impression. There are many contenders for worst in class.
"Absolute trash" and "deathtrap" are strong words. Apart from these bars I've not seen any pro's have issues? I'm not how many have died because of them. I'm not a fan of the brand. used to work in a Bianchi dealers and the only issue we ever had was the fork eyes snapping in transit due to a lack of packing. We rarely had any warranties.
If they're absolut trash and death traps id expect to see them all over ever forum. Looking on here there seem to be many happy owners. I'm sure whoever makes their frames is making them for other brands as well.
I have one friend who bought the top one a few years ago and he loves it. I had a 928 C2C in 06, it was heavy but it was bombproof. They same basically the same as all other bike brands these days, very good with occasional teething issue and very rare warranty.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

RDY wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:43 am

Are you referring to the video he posted 6 months ago, with the broken fork he assessed from instagram pics? Hardly a hit piece on anyone.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

spartacus wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:27 pm
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hugo-h ... gp-denain/

Not only are they absurdly wide (44cm bars on the 120mm stem), apparently they're weak too.
Can we define 'wannabes' and 'freds'? Because I know enough World Tour riders who would consider anyone who isn't riding World Tour as a Wannabe. If you aren't 16 years old, and about to turn pro, chances are you are someones definition of a wannabe or a fred.

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

guyc wrote:

It's not what you ride, it's that you ride.
you beat me to it.

spartacus

by spartacus

Mr.Gib wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 4:14 pm
I for one absolutely do not want any "Fred's" riding on narrow bars anywhere near me. A lot of these clowns I encounter can't keep the bike straight under the best of circumstances. The though of some of them on narrow bars is terrifying.
The funny thing is people always propagate this idea, as well as the shoulder width idea, but it's not true at all; narrower bars are no less stable than wider bars. If anything they're more stable because you have a less forceful input on the steering combined with a longer stem.

Don't believe me? Try it for yourself.

But at this point I'm kinda getting over trying to change anyones minds. If people insist on riding on wide bars fine, they're just going to go slower and that's their problem.

spartacus

by spartacus

RTW wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 5:06 pm
spartacus wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 6:27 pm
https://www.cyclingnews.com/news/hugo-h ... gp-denain/

Not only are they absurdly wide (44cm bars on the 120mm stem), apparently they're weak too.
Can we define 'wannabes' and 'freds'? Because I know enough World Tour riders who would consider anyone who isn't riding World Tour as a Wannabe. If you aren't 16 years old, and about to turn pro, chances are you are someones definition of a wannabe or a fred.
People that buy the latest and greatest aero bike specifically to try to go faster than other people, but meanwhile do dumb stuff that messes up their speed like running ultra wide bars, having terrible nutrition, bad flexibility and riding position, etc... Then when they ride past you grimacing they don't wave!

That's what I'm talking about. Most of y'all are probably fine.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RTW
in the industry

by RTW

spartacus wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 3:35 pm
guyc wrote:
.... I'm friends with a real professional cyclist that really is stuck with a stupid cockpit and he/his team are making compromises on their fit because of their sponsorship....
Does he take a salary from the team, or does he ride for free? If it is the former, he needs to learn to be more professional and grateful for his lot. Or, he could become a privateer and ride what he wants.

Edit - removed my comment on waving, as too atagonistic