BBInfinite

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

I feel like all I ever do is complain about how crappy the bike industry can be.

In the past couple of weeks, I replaced my R9100P power meter with a Quarq DFour and the lighter Quarq crank arms. Because I have an Aeroad with a BB86, I decided to go GXP rather than BB30 or Dub.

I’m paranoid about creaking PF BBs, so I took a chance on an expensive option, BBInfinite and their GXP BB86 module.

I was in a huge hurry between meetings and decided to knock out my Shimano BB and install the BBInfinite module. Being a true idiot, I installed the module from the DS instead of the NDS.

BBInfinite provided super awesome customer service and I was able to remove the BB and reinstall it properly. In addition, it seems to be a pretty awesome product.

Just a wonderful experience in contrast to many these days and I thought I’d give them some credit.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Pro

johnsogr

by johnsogr

LedZeppelin007 wrote:
Thu Mar 09, 2023 6:26 am
I feel like all I ever do is complain about how crappy the bike industry can be.

In the past couple of weeks, I replaced my R9100P power meter with a Quarq DFour and the lighter Quarq crank arms. Because I have an Aeroad with a BB86, I decided to go GXP rather than BB30 or Dub.

I’m paranoid about creaking PF BBs, so I took a chance on an expensive option, BBInfinite and their GXP BB86 module.

I was in a huge hurry between meetings and decided to knock out my Shimano BB and install the BBInfinite module. Being a true idiot, I installed the module from the DS instead of the NDS.

BBInfinite provided super awesome customer service and I was able to remove the BB and reinstall it properly. In addition, it seems to be a pretty awesome product.

Just a wonderful experience in contrast to many these days and I thought I’d give them some credit.

They're a great company - I've had two of their products without issues, and like you said, fantastic support.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

sigma

by sigma

The team at BBInfinite are quality people comprehensively. I have many of their BBs now in use without issue. Great people, great products.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

Stendhal

by Stendhal

My fourth BBInfinite is waiting to be installed in my new bike. Huge improvement from other BBs
Cannondale Supersixevo 4 (7.05 kg)
Retired: Chapter2, Tarmac SWorks SL6, Orbea, Dogma F8\F10, LOW, Wilier, Ridley Noah, Cervelo R3\R5\S2\Aspero, Time Fluidity, Lapierre Pulsium, Cyfac, Felt, Klein, Cannondale pre-CAAD aluminum

otnemem

by otnemem

Bought a BB86 to 30mm from them for a project that was recently put on hold (IMO and as far as I was able to research, theirs seems to be the best solution to a crappy conundrum).
Can only speak to the quality and craftsmanship which is second to none - you get what you pay for.
They are also notorious for helping out people with issues and problems that they have nothing to do with so it's aces all-around.

c60rider

by c60rider

Can only add to my experiences. I'm yet to buy one of their bottom brackets but I likely will towards the end of this year. I initially communicated with them about a problem with a frame and solution I had in mind and the communication was replied to directly by one of the co-founders Gary Mailhiot. We corresponded over a couple of really thorough emails and it was excellent help. What this tells me is that they're probably a small company but in a really good way they are totally customer focused and want to provide an excellent service/solution for customers. Conversely I reached out to Wheels Manufacturing a couple of times for an alternative solution I was considering and I heard nothing from them at all. No surpises where my business and future recommendations, such as here, will go. :thumbup:

jbattermann

by jbattermann

Chiming in here because small businesses should get the praise they deserve (if they deserve it.. and BBinfite certainly does): started using their BBs many years ago even when I was still living in Germany and had to source/ship them overseas.. but never had a single issue with them, no more creaks in any of my past and present bikes and support has always been top notch.

ms6073

by ms6073

Going to echo what others have already stated, but have to mention it was not always that way.

Back when they first came on the scene, I was a very early adopter and attempted to install the original BB86 model in a 2015 Scott Solace with an all carbon bottom bracket shell. Now if Hambini had been around, arguably he would have trashed the alignment, fit, and finish of the bottom bracket shell of that frame, but suffice to say it was not ideal. When I tried to press in the original assembly using the supplied shims and a Park bottom bracket press, the bottom bracker which had a very sharp lip/face on the drive side interface did not align correctly and consequently the alluminum shell ate into the lip of drive side carbon shell and as I turned the press tight, there was a horendous sound of carbon cracking. Fortunately I was able reverse the process and pushed the bottom bracket back out but opted to pass on the BBInfiniates. Couple years later deciced to try again with a newer version of the Scott Solace and was pleased to see that BBInifinite had rounded the drive-side lip and the installation went off without a hitch. These days, my only beef would be there removal instructions as they still advocate hammering the assembly out rather than using a suitable tool - Hambini offers one and I suspect one could also use the FSA EE087 Removal Tool as well - to simply press out the bottom bracket in the opposite manner of of how it was pressed in.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Indyx

by Indyx

I have one. Solid product, well engineered. The only thing I dread is having to remove it one day, which is going to be tough. Will buy again for every new bike I buy.

kervelo

by kervelo

Indyx wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:28 am
I have one. Solid product, well engineered. The only thing I dread is having to remove it one day, which is going to be tough. Will buy again for every new bike I buy.
That is the reason I would never use a BBinfinite BB.

kode54

by kode54

ms6073 wrote:Going to echo what others have already stated, but have to mention it was not always that way.

Back when they first came on the scene, I was a very early adopter and attempted to install the original BB86 model in a 2015 Scott Solace with an all carbon bottom bracket shell. Now if Hambini had been around, arguably he would have trashed the alignment, fit, and finish of the bottom bracket shell of that frame, but suffice to say it was not ideal. When I tried to press in the original assembly using the supplied shims and a Park bottom bracket press, the bottom bracker which had a very sharp lip/face on the drive side interface did not align correctly and consequently the alluminum shell ate into the lip of drive side carbon shell and as I turned the press tight, there was a horendous sound of carbon cracking. Fortunately I was able reverse the process and pushed the bottom bracket back out but opted to pass on the BBInfiniates. Couple years later deciced to try again with a newer version of the Scott Solace and was pleased to see that BBInifinite had rounded the drive-side lip and the installation went off without a hitch. These days, my only beef would be there removal instructions as they still advocate hammering the assembly out rather than using a suitable tool - Hambini offers one and I suspect one could also use the FSA EE087 Removal Tool as well - to simply press out the bottom bracket in the opposite manner of of how it was pressed in.
I don’t use a hammer but use a Hambini removal cup. Fits with Enduro press tools. It’s a large deep cup with hole in middle that ‘cups’ the BB and holds it there pressing against the frame. The one piece BB, be it BBinfinte or Hambini…is slowly pressed out safely.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

twoangstroms

by twoangstroms

Haven't had an issue with the BB386 on a Bianchi -- it's been great to ride on and durable, but I didn't install it and haven't needed to remove it. The pulley wheels have been great. And can confirm excellent communication and customer support, which makes me want to be a returning customer! (Disclaimer: BBInfinite did not sponsor this post.)

LedZeppelin007

by LedZeppelin007

kervelo wrote:
Indyx wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:28 am
That is the reason I would never use a BBinfinite BB.
With their tools (which you can rent), it’s actually an easy job

edchristoph

by edchristoph

kode54 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:38 pm
I don’t use a hammer but use a Hambini removal cup. Fits with Enduro press tools. It’s a large deep cup with hole in middle that ‘cups’ the BB and holds it there pressing against the frame. The one piece BB, be it BBinfinte or Hambini…is slowly pressed out safely.
Will Hambini's removal cup also work with frames that have almost no protrusion remaining between the sleve of the BBinifine module and the frame?

What I mean is best explained with the following pictures taken from the NDS of my Canyon Ultimate:
Image Image
Looking at the left edge of the BB shell (where the downtube attaches to the BB shell) the sleeve of the BBinfinite module is entirely covering the outer edge of the BB shell leaving virtually no space to support the removal cup. Only at the right edge of the BB shell (where the chainstay attaches to the BB shell) the frame will properly support the removal cup. Given the immense extraction force the cup may easily get pushed over the unsupported edge of the BB shell thus jamming the alignement of the press/cup and the imagiunary axis of the BB shell.

Do you have any thoughts about this or, even better, experices you can share?

Thanks!

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

aeroisnteverything

by aeroisnteverything

edchristoph wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 3:20 pm
kode54 wrote:
Thu Mar 23, 2023 12:38 pm
Will Hambini's removal cup also work with frames that have almost no protrusion remaining between the sleve of the BBinifine module and the frame?

What I mean is best explained with the following pictures taken from the NDS of my Canyon Ultimate:
Image Image
Looking at the left edge of the BB shell (where the downtube attaches to the BB shell) the sleeve of the BBinfinite module is entirely covering the outer edge of the BB shell leaving virtually no space to support the removal cup. Only at the right edge of the BB shell (where the chainstay attaches to the BB shell) the frame will properly support the removal cup. Given the immense extraction force the cup may easily get pushed over the unsupported edge of the BB shell thus jamming the alignement of the press/cup and the imagiunary axis of the BB shell.

Do you have any thoughts about this or, even better, experices you can share?

Thanks!
Is that the BB86 to DUB version you have, by chance? Any issues with bearings durability?