SES AR Road Handlebar from Aliexpress, any experience?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

wickedstealthy

by wickedstealthy

cerro wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:51 pm
TobinHatesYou wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 7:35 pm
Hi. Crunching is bad. Also carbon bars shouldn’t really be visibly flexy.
Agree. Buying a counterfeit bar and hear crunching when tightening is too many alarmbells. Prepare the ambulance before you try them out...
Idd I do not understand people buying critical equipement from Ali. But go ahead if you want to save 200-300$ and pay later your debt with the dentist for new teeth ...
You can be lucky or not ... :D

ohexploitable

by ohexploitable

lolll

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

peezy

by peezy

Ha okay, my flex comment is not accurate because I did the same test with my Zipp stem and FSA bars and it “flexed” the same amount.

I have run China carbon wheels through some nasty conditions and they are straight as an arrow. Time will tell.

I will likely not run the ones I heard the noise on, we will see.

pushpush

by pushpush

I think the points above remain. IF that bar snaps and puts you in a ditch or worse, would you wish you had spent the $200 for the real thing?

A wheel failure at decent speed MIGHT be a disaster.
A bar failure at decent speed WILL be a disaster.

We all want to save money where we can, but be smart.

Beancouter

by Beancouter

peezy wrote:Got these in this weekend and put them on, the cons I had/experienced:

The clamping area seems bigger than 31.6 compared to my Zipp stem. I went to tighten them and heard some crunching, maybe it was my fault for going to 5nm, but I seemed to have to "jam" it in.
On my Deda stem I did not have this issue.

Getting the controls onto the bars was kind of rough, I had to wiggle them to the point that there was enough heat generated on the metal clamp for my levers, if that makes sense. Again, seems like its too "thick" compared to a regular handle bar.

Once I got everything in place and torqued to 4nm on the Deda stem, they felt solid. It's my first run with carbon handlebars so seeing any sort of "flex" is kind of weird, but they felt sturdy on the quick spin I took yesterday. I plan to take my gravel bike with these bars for a true test this weekend, fingers crossed, and that will be the true test!
If it’s any consolation, I bought the original enve bars at the weekend and getting the shifters on is stupid hard! The different shape of the tubing string the bend, and the bends themselves just make it tight.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

BenCousins

by BenCousins

Don't ride bars that crunch when you tighten them to 5nm! Return them!

eucalyptus

by eucalyptus

5Nm sounds pretty rough?

I use 4Nm and really good Motorex carbon paste. Don't see a reason too go higher than that. Any stem like some advising 6Nm are probably just bad machining when a Hyperstem can hold a bar at 2.5Nm.

To others, there are obviously some good Chinese bars! Not all are bad. And wheels, Chinese wheels are rock solid.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

eucalyptus wrote:
Mon Mar 27, 2023 11:26 pm
5Nm sounds pretty rough?

I use 4Nm and really good Motorex carbon paste. Don't see a reason too go higher than that. Any stem like some advising 6Nm are probably just bad machining when a Hyperstem can hold a bar at 2.5Nm.

To others, there are obviously some good Chinese bars! Not all are bad. And wheels, Chinese wheels are rock solid.

5n-m is pretty standard with 4-bolt clamps. 2-bolt clamps require even more torque.

And lol there's no way 2.5n-m would hold up on the roads here.

glepore

by glepore

Double .
Last edited by glepore on Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:34 am, edited 1 time in total.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

glepore

by glepore

The combination of the bend radius and the friction material in the cc makes it difficult to mount.
I agree crunch is bad, but in fairness these bars have really thick clearcoat and it may have been just that. I'd inspect. Lots of legit bars will show some evidence of clamping. Another thing to consider is faceplate size-the Extralite specifies a low torque b/c the reduced area of the faceplate lead to greater psi at a given torque over a wider faceplate.
Cysco Ti custom Campy SR mechanical (6.9);Berk custom (5.6); Serotta Ottrott(6.8) ; Anvil Custom steel Etap;1996 Colnago Technos Record

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

glepore wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:33 am
The combination of the bend radius and the friction material in the cc makes it difficult to mount.
I agree crunch is bad, but in fairness these bars have really thick clearcoat and it may have been just that. I'd inspect. Lots of legit bars will show some evidence of clamping. Another thing to consider is faceplate size-the Extralite specifies a low torque b/c the reduced area of the faceplate lead to greater psi at a given torque over a wider faceplate.

Greater PSI but less actual security. Surface area matters when it comes to grip/friction.

glepore

by glepore

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:48 am
glepore wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 12:33 am

Greater PSI but less actual security. Surface area matters when it comes to grip/friction.
yeah, I agree-but in terms of crunching the carbon structure and damaging it, psi matters

robbosmans

by robbosmans

Dont buy fakes. We do not support counterfeits in any way.