PCW - Marty Crotty

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Need to see pics of this when done!!
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

calicyclist

by calicyclist

Just a quick update for anyone interested...Marty eventually texted me the Monday after I posted this...to ask about why I was trashing them on message boards. LMFAO. No explanation for the past 3+ months or anything else - other than his busy Friday schedule for why he didn't respond that day.

Black Inc Fives on the way to Argonaut and I should get my bike at the end of this month and will post pics.

And in case anyone else is having trouble getting a response from Princeton - apparently complaining about them on here is a better strategy than calling their phones directly.
Argonaut RM3 | Pivot Trail 429

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

I love that he just texted instead of calling. Wonder if he posts here. Had some defensive social media exchanges with them awhile back. Meh

Maddie

by Maddie

I would love to hear Marty's side of the story

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

I wanna know why they pulled all their tech data from their website.

I also wanna know if the whole rotational drag thing is their bag, why they dont hide the spoke nipples or at least offer a series that does.

Campyforever

by Campyforever

No on the 5 spoke....

tarmackev

by tarmackev

Interesting thread.

As for the O.P I do understand why he was a little put out.
I know people are busy but you if you have a company putting expensive products out you need give a quality level of customer care. It seems it was lacking a little here. Not the end of the word but not great either. I'd be dispointed too.
If it was my company I think i'd have tried to make it right somehow.

calicyclist

by calicyclist

Campyforever wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:53 pm
No on the 5 spoke....
Lot of detail there about your objection lol.

What is your concern? I've heard good things from a few people here. A few people on Reddit. And the Argonaut CEO emailed a pro cyclist who gave positive feedback with the only possible negative being "they're stiff." But stiff equates to better power transfer in my mind and I plan on riding 32s at low pressure so I am not worried about that as much.

Bike is already built with them so too late to change anything but honestly curious on your comment.

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

calicyclist wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:44 am
Campyforever wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 2:53 pm
No on the 5 spoke....
Lot of detail there about your objection lol.

What is your concern? I've heard good things from a few people here. A few people on Reddit. And the Argonaut CEO emailed a pro cyclist who gave positive feedback with the only possible negative being "they're stiff." But stiff equates to better power transfer in my mind and I plan on riding 32s at low pressure so I am not worried about that as much.

Bike is already built with them so too late to change anything but honestly curious on your comment.
At 32 you are loosing the aero benefits of the wheels. With those you would be better off on 28mm tyres
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

Campyforever

by Campyforever

I have a tendency to look at things not just from a WW point of view but also from a qualitative and AESTHETIC point of view.
My opinion? Those wheels look like those wheels from the 80's.... was it Spinergy? Yuck....

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

Ur thinking aerospoke. Spinergy were cool

calicyclist

by calicyclist

Campyforever wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 1:45 pm
I have a tendency to look at things not just from a WW point of view but also from a qualitative and AESTHETIC point of view.
My opinion? Those wheels look like those wheels from the 80's.... was it Spinergy? Yuck....
Ok so it's an aesthetic thing. I think they look awesome. So has almost everyone I've asked about them. Always going to be different opinions on looks.

calicyclist

by calicyclist

CustomMetal wrote:
Sun Mar 12, 2023 12:29 pm
At 32 you are loosing the aero benefits of the wheels. With those you would be better off on 28mm tyres
I know they are optimized for 28mm but I want to try going tubeless again and think at 28mm required pressure the sealant won't work as well given my experience trying it at 25mm so will try with 32s initially. Something easy to change if I really want to go for PRs or racing or whatever.

Karvalo

by Karvalo

Maddie wrote:
Tue Mar 07, 2023 7:26 am
I would love to hear Marty's side of the story
Indeed. Not saying he's definitely not done anything wrong.... but.

For the OP - if a brand doesn't offer custom, the CEO acts like you're 'from the moon' when you ask if they can do custom, maybe don't twist their arm into seeing if they can get you custom? It probably won't end well :noidea:

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

otnemem

by otnemem

If I was going to be spending silly money on wheels, I'd make sure I'd get the best around the desired wheel depth. Right now, that's Cadex.
If your priority isn't getting the best performance, then it's arbitrary - get whatever you want, which seems like that's what you did.
FactoryMatt wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:11 pm
why did they take all their "white papers" and marketing off their website? Now, its just a bunch of social proofing and name drops and cosmetic stuff for the chi chi crowd. i miss the aero nerd angle.
They don't need it anymore (they're selling like hotcakes) and/or it's about to be potentially detrimental for them. Probably the same reason why they reneged on the OP's request.