PCW - Marty Crotty

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

calicyclist wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 9:05 pm
CustomMetal wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 3:54 pm
Also what about black inc 5? Super unique and would match a Argonaut well
These actually do look nice and quite unique. Not really as deep as I'd like. They claim to offer similar aero performance to deeper wheels. Do you believe that?

I do like the bladed designs better. They look like car wheels. I wonder a little how this impacts performance/longevity, etc.

What do you think about Corima wheels? These look really nice as well although I really don't like the bright white logos at all.
I would say there was a fair amount of R&D behind their development and their new TT bike suggests they know a thing or two about aero. Alex Dowset does an interesting review on them.

Corona's wheels are a bit too outdated for my liking (two narrow)..

Also if you were truly fused by aero you wouldn't be buying an Argonaut.. however I do believe these wheels would get you maximum wow factor at the cafe! Also I am guessing you are in California and PCW are pretty common over there I believe..
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

calicyclist

by calicyclist

CustomMetal wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:08 pm
I am guessing you are in California and PCW are pretty common over there I believe..
Am from California (SF Bay Area) but almost never see PCW on the road strangely. Mostly ZIPP, ENVE, Lightweight, Roval, Shimano, Reynolds is what I am used to seeing.

Understand that Argonaut is not an "aero" bike but still looking to do whatever other aero gains I can get. Wow factor generally is cool but don't really care about what it looks like at the cafe. Looking cool just will make me want to ride it even more.

Not a huge fan of the fact that they aren't UCI sanctioned. There are some cool events that I've seen that were interesting to me and I was considering although now after the accident maybe I won't end up doing that. It's kind of a weird line to draw for the UCI. They require a certain amount of spokes or something?
Argonaut RM3 | Pivot Trail 429

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Flasher

by Flasher

calicyclist wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 6:10 pm
Flasher wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 10:59 am
Buy the wheels, and get a graphics house to knock you up some custom graphics for $100, move on.
Any suggestions on such a "graphics house?"
Not really as I'm in the UK and you aren't, this one came up on a quick Google search: https://www.stikrd.com/ (I have no idea if they're good or not), but I'm sure there must be plenty of good options in the US, ebay and etsy also throw up pages and pages of options.

calicyclist

by calicyclist

Flasher wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 12:17 am
this one came up on a quick Google search: https://www.stikrd.com/ (I have no idea if they're good or not), but I'm sure there must be plenty of good options in the US, ebay and etsy also throw up pages and pages of options.
Thanks for the link. Appreciate it.

baldy

by baldy

You could try Ink My Ride. They may do custon, not actually sure. I got a set to bling my Farsports wheels and they look great.

ichobi

by ichobi

I can vouch for the black inc five. Modern rim bed. Decently aero despite the looks. Very light very stiff. Amazing descender. Looks good on all bikes if you like the aesthetic. Really good manufacturing quality. Imagine a lightweight wheels on a modern wide rim design. Not as spritely as the lw due to construction difference but a really fun wheels to ride.

thebikemanguy

by thebikemanguy

I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. As a counterexample, I've had multiple interactions with Marty over the course of multiple wheelset purchases and crash replacements, and I've found him to be nothing but awesome to deal with. My impression is that he does a *ton* of stuff for the company and can be a bit overworked/overwhelmed, but I've always felt he went above and beyond to take care of me.

calicyclist

by calicyclist

thebikemanguy wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:51 pm
I'm sorry to hear about your experiences. As a counterexample, I've had multiple interactions with Marty over the course of multiple wheelset purchases and crash replacements, and I've found him to be nothing but awesome to deal with. My impression is that he does a *ton* of stuff for the company and can be a bit overworked/overwhelmed, but I've always felt he went above and beyond to take care of me.
Heh I am not sure if reading this makes me trust in them more or be even more annoyed at how all of this went down since he seems to treat everyone else well but I am glad that you've had a good experience with him and thanks for sharing.

I think the kicker to it all is just that he didn't proactively tell me or Argonaut that PCW changed their mind until he was asked where the wheels were on the week they were supposed to be delivered. If he had said no to the idea in November no problem. If he had reached out a month ago even and said hey our production team changed their minds and don't want to do it I would have been disappointed but would've understood.

But to wait until he promised delivery after all of this time and the time we spent talking on the phone and his statements within the past month that everything was on track and basically just act like oh yah we changed our minds it just feels like such an FU to me directly and I just really don't understand.

markdjr

by markdjr

calicyclist wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 8:38 pm
thebikemanguy wrote:
Sun Feb 26, 2023 3:51 pm
Heh I am not sure if reading this makes me trust in them more or be even more annoyed at how all of this went down since he seems to treat everyone else well but I am glad that you've had a good experience with him and thanks for sharing.

I think the kicker to it all is just that he didn't proactively tell me or Argonaut that PCW changed their mind until he was asked where the wheels were on the week they were supposed to be delivered. If he had said no to the idea in November no problem. If he had reached out a month ago even and said hey our production team changed their minds and don't want to do it I would have been disappointed but would've understood.

But to wait until he promised delivery after all of this time and the time we spent talking on the phone and his statements within the past month that everything was on track and basically just act like oh yah we changed our minds it just feels like such an FU to me directly and I just really don't understand.
It sounds like you are taking this too personally. Two sides to every story, but lets say yours is accurate. You convinced PCW to do something they didn't want to do, they changed their mind and did a poor job of following up with you about it. Grand scheme, not that big of a deal, buy a set of wheels with stock graphics and have them changed by a 3rd party. Now you've got exactly what you wanted, with little delay. Everyone is human, companies make mistakes. They are still good wheels, I have also had good luck with Marty and PCW.

calicyclist

by calicyclist

markdjr wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:17 am
It sounds like you are taking this too personally. Two sides to every story, but lets say yours is accurate. You convinced PCW to do something they didn't want to do, they changed their mind and did a poor job of following up with you about it. Grand scheme, not that big of a deal, buy a set of wheels with stock graphics and have them changed by a 3rd party. Now you've got exactly what you wanted, with little delay. Everyone is human, companies make mistakes. They are still good wheels, I have also had good luck with Marty and PCW.
I appreciate your perspective and you're probably right about me taking it too personally.
Last edited by calicyclist on Mon Feb 27, 2023 9:31 pm, edited 1 time in total.

hannawald

by hannawald

calicyclist wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:04 pm
markdjr wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 2:17 am
I appreciate you're perspective and you're probably right about me taking it too personally.
You expected for this insane amount of money some personal approach which you didn't get. They forgot to inform you. Then you expected some kind of human approach/nice sorry words from the company, maybe some gesture(small discount as a goodwill) to be able to still love the company which you didn't get. (Yeah, we are human so we make mistakes but we are sorry for disapponting you and we would love to have you onboard so we give you some gift as our way to say sorry...something like that would be nice)
Now up to you if you give them your money despite that.

tonytourist

by tonytourist

Have Fairwheel build you up some Enves on Tactic hubs or just get some Zipp NSWs.

NickB

by NickB

Corima got 90kg of Mark Beaumont around the world in 80 days. Would get my vote.

sigma

by sigma

tonytourist wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 7:25 pm
Have Fairwheel build you up some Enves on Tactic hubs or just get some Zipp NSWs.
+1.
Lots of bikes: currently riding Enve Melee, Krypton Pro, S Works Crux, S Works Epic Evo, SL7.
In build: SW SL8

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

calicyclist

by calicyclist

hannawald wrote:
Mon Feb 27, 2023 5:34 pm
You expected for this insane amount of money some personal approach which you didn't get. They forgot to inform you. Then you expected some kind of human approach/nice sorry words from the company, maybe some gesture(small discount as a goodwill) to be able to still love the company which you didn't get. (Yeah, we are human so we make mistakes but we are sorry for disapponting you and we would love to have you onboard so we give you some gift as our way to say sorry...something like that would be nice)
Now up to you if you give them your money despite that.
This is generally an accurate take. I didn't think about anything even like a small discount. I really just wanted a call back and an I'm sorry or something to show they realized jerking me around for 3+ months wasn't cool.

But now Marty has had two full business days to simply call me back and explain the situation and that is apparently too much bother for him as well so F those guys. I probably am taking it too personally but whatever. Gonna go with the Black Inc Fives now I think.