Mixed groupsets: etiquette/aesthetics

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

Xabi wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:37 pm
AndreLM wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:22 pm
Mocs123 wrote: I'm not sure why she chose the SRAM crank as it's really not much lighter than the standard Dura Ace crank
I don't know precisely what she uses, but a Red crankset without PM should be lighter than DA. I think it should be even lighter with a spider based PM, with the added bonus that the PM in this case would work properly

And of course, a SRAM crank does not crack or debond like DA.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Sram dub or other 30mm axle cranks are not fun on a bb86 frame.

Shimano, campagnolo or rotor24 cranksets for my bb86 frames. Threaded I'm ok with 30mm axle.
I've had no problems or short BB lives on the many YT and Scott MTBs I've had with BB92 and Raceface 30mm spindle cranks using their BBs. I did have short bearing lives when I used Lightning's 30mm crank and BB in a PF92 Scott. So my experience is the bigger manufacturers can make those two standards work together. Sram even made the DUB spindle an odd size just to fit bigger bearings in PF92/86 frames.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

JoO wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 6:25 pm
bikeboy1tr wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:27 am
I have a mix of parts on most my bikes. The V2R rim is running etap 11sp with DA cranks and Rotor inner/AB outer and I think it looks good. The V2R disc has AXS red now but it did have Campy Rec/SR mix but I did stick with the Campy crank/P2M 12sp and swapped the rest of the group for the AXS. I think it looks even better and it works flawlessly. So the point is if it works and you like the looks, go for it.
Any specific reason to choose eagle chain?
Actually I am running Red Flat top chain and it works better than the Campy SR I was previously running.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

pushpush

by pushpush

Run whatever works.

My xc bike has a mix of AXS and XTR.
My daily road bike has a mix of multiple shimano groups.
My gravelcross bike has a hodge podge of different stuff.

Whatever. It all works and just as trouble free and low maintenance as any match-match bike I've had. It is also a good way to spend more money on a bike. :)

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Do what you want!

As long as Shimano has a heavy crankset but otherwise lighter, more aero, better shifting, and bigger front tooth jumps than Sram, I will be running Shimano with Red cranks.

Xabi

by Xabi

Lelandjt wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 10:49 pm
Xabi wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 7:37 pm
AndreLM wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 4:22 pm
Mocs123 wrote: I'm not sure why she chose the SRAM crank as it's really not much lighter than the standard Dura Ace crank
I don't know precisely what she uses, but a Red crankset without PM should be lighter than DA. I think it should be even lighter with a spider based PM, with the added bonus that the PM in this case would work properly

And of course, a SRAM crank does not crack or debond like DA.

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk
Sram dub or other 30mm axle cranks are not fun on a bb86 frame.

Shimano, campagnolo or rotor24 cranksets for my bb86 frames. Threaded I'm ok with 30mm axle.
I've had no problems or short BB lives on the many YT and Scott MTBs I've had with BB92 and Raceface 30mm spindle cranks using their BBs. I did have short bearing lives when I used Lightning's 30mm crank and BB in a PF92 Scott. So my experience is the bigger manufacturers can make those two standards work together. Sram even made the DUB spindle an odd size just to fit bigger bearings in PF92/86 frames.
Not really, it's just a plastic sleeve, that if removed fits 30mm axles. Same bearing size as bb386

I use a sram dub bsa bottom bracket as a cheap bsa bb386 BB

ry5n

by ry5n

C36 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:46 pm
I was about to say that crankset are not really a « faux pas » in terms of etiquette as you mention, then I read you were installing it on a Cannondale and my personal opinion would be to install an hollowgram.

The chain line part has been covered by others.
For the chain line, do you have a link to a thread? I can hunt but I’d appreciate it if you have it handy :)

As for running a Hollowgram, I’d like to, but I run 165 cranks. SiSL2 in that size is next to impossible to find, and I don’t know how well the chainrings work with 12 speed. (For those keeping track, yes, THM will do a 165 Clavicula these days for a little more, if you ask nicely)

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

Lelandjt wrote:
Sram even made the DUB spindle an odd size just to fit bigger bearings in PF92/86 frames.

They made DUB 30-1=29mm for the same reason Shimano made their spindles 25-1=24mm. They can insert plastic shims into standard sized bearings to minimize metal-on-metal galling.

hannawald

by hannawald

ry5n wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:17 am
C36 wrote:
Fri Feb 17, 2023 9:46 pm
I was about to say that crankset are not really a « faux pas » in terms of etiquette as you mention, then I read you were installing it on a Cannondale and my personal opinion would be to install an hollowgram.

The chain line part has been covered by others.
For the chain line, do you have a link to a thread? I can hunt but I’d appreciate it if you have it handy :)

As for running a Hollowgram, I’d like to, but I run 165 cranks. SiSL2 in that size is next to impossible to find, and I don’t know how well the chainrings work with 12 speed. (For those keeping track, yes, THM will do a 165 Clavicula these days for a little more, if you ask nicely)
From my personal experience you can make 3rd party cranks work with Shimano 12 speed but front shifting is definitely worse than 11speed - same cranks combination and worse than Shimano 12 speed cranks. That includes Carbon Ti and Praxis 12 speed chainrings. I tried 3 mechanics.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

I've only got one bike with a full groupset from 1 brand, my commuter bike with SRAM Rival 1 and it's the worst shifting of all my bikes.

Love 11 speed and the fact you can just mix and match between the 3 brands to have the combo that suits you best.

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

TobinHatesYou wrote:
Sat Feb 18, 2023 9:33 am
Lelandjt wrote:
Sram even made the DUB spindle an odd size just to fit bigger bearings in PF92/86 frames.

They made DUB 30-1=29mm for the same reason Shimano made their spindles 25-1=24mm. They can insert plastic shims into standard sized bearings to minimize metal-on-metal galling.
From the press release when DUB came out I thought that was the case with their other BBs but the PF86/92 used a unique bearing and the axle size was chosen just so they could fit this slightly larger bearing in that BB shell than the 30mm companies use. Also, I thought it's 29.something mm, not 29even.

TobinHatesYou

by TobinHatesYou

That’s basically a fairy tale. Even SRAM’s DUB BSA BB doesn’t use a 6806 when it should.

milanv

by milanv

ry5n wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 9:56 pm
Mocs123 wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 1:19 pm
Anna Kiesenhofer won the Olympic Gold Metal with a Shimano groupset and a SRAM Red 22 crank.
Huh, I didn't know that. I knew she used a Farsports barstem, which I happen to have chosen for this build as well. Unfortunately I can't claim to have a math doctorate 😂
https://road.cc/content/feature/anna-ki ... ike-285145
Attachments
12CB65FE-1BE2-4229-88E3-4FA1DB2D5A77.jpeg

stevokinevo

by stevokinevo

glepore wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 10:04 pm
I run a stripped Red Exo crank on a DA bike and it looks great. Once stripped, they blend in with anything really.
I'm looking at this. I have an aethos with 12 speedUltegra. I'm trying to decide whther to use 8 bolt sram red with extralight chainrings or Red GXP. Problem with the 8 bolt is the only spider I can find is from ali. With the GXP the chainrings fir right on. Any advice?

Maddie

by Maddie

Croder has an excellent spider for Sram 8 bolt cranks that I installed on my girlfriend's sl7. Using it with Praxis chainrings in 110 bcd.
If you're looking at the Aliexpress spider from Stone: walk away. It's garbage. I still have one but will throw it away.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

ry5n

by ry5n

For the GXP option, I’m not familiar with all generations, but the version with the integrated spider will have issues with some chainrings. I’m still working on the project that started this thread: using an integrated-spider Red Exogram crank (BB30 version) with the new Carbon-Ti Evo rings for Shimano 12-speed. Turns out these rings are thicker than the normal ~4mm, and don’t fit due to the hidden bolt design of the crank.

Praxis Buzz should not have the same problem, but my tooth count preference is out of stock globally with a delivery date this summer at best. I haven’t seriously considered Extralight rings because I heard shift quality was bad (like real bad).

So, after running the idea past Carbon-Ti, I’m having the big ring modified by a local carbon shop. Should have it back in a week or so. I can’t endorse this approach but I can report back at least if it fits :)