Mixed groupsets: etiquette/aesthetics

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

SunsetRider

by SunsetRider

Not the same world but on my mountain bike I run an SLX crank/NGeco PM/Praxis chainring, AXS Eagle RD/controller and Shimano brakes. But I don't give damn what anybody thinks since it works for me and I was able to do the upgrades I wanted while still keeping some parts that I already had on the bike.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

stevokinevo

by stevokinevo

Maddie wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 9:33 pm
Croder has an excellent spider for Sram 8 bolt cranks that I installed on my girlfriend's sl7. Using it with Praxis chainrings in 110 bcd.
If you're looking at the Aliexpress spider from Stone: walk away. It's garbage. I still have one but will throw it away.
Yeah that why I'm looking GXP. I seen the video on the croder but cant seem to see one in the uk. If you had a source that would be amazing.

stevokinevo

by stevokinevo

ry5n wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 9:41 pm
For the GXP option, I’m not familiar with all generations, but the version with the integrated spider will have issues with some chainrings. I’m still working on the project that started this thread: using an integrated-spider Red Exogram crank (BB30 version) with the new Carbon-Ti Evo rings for Shimano 12-speed. Turns out these rings are thicker than the normal ~4mm, and don’t fit due to the hidden bolt design of the crank.

Praxis Buzz should not have the same problem, but my tooth count preference is out of stock globally with a delivery date this summer at best. I haven’t seriously considered Extralight rings because I heard shift quality was bad (like real bad).

So, after running the idea past Carbon-Ti, I’m having the big ring modified by a local carbon shop. Should have it back in a week or so. I can’t endorse this approach but I can report back at least if it fits :)
I've heard mixed reviews on the extra lights. Its the ones that say 'even experienced bike mechanics cant get them to run well' that have me worried. I wonder if its riding style? If you're racing and changing under load you'll have major issues but if you're casual riding might not be as bad.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

Oops already posted on this thread.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

Bazzman1968

by Bazzman1968

Let up know how it goes once fitted, really keen to go that way if it works. THANKS Baz

stevokinevo

by stevokinevo

The other option is taking 50G Weight penalty and trying the Praxis Works Buzz chainrings.

stevokinevo

by stevokinevo

Heres an interesting thread, this guys basically tried every combo going on a DA 9200. Didnt think the Carbon Tis worked for him. He reckons that Aldhu and Sram inegrated 48/35 work the best. I then did some digging and there are a few legit bike builders running a sram red 8 bolt system on da9200 with no issues.

viewtopic.php?f=10&t=168196&start=45

ry5n

by ry5n

That thread is interesting, but the bottom line isn't entirely clear to me. Maybe I missed it but I didn't see if anyone confirmed the Carbon-Ti rings tested were the new Evo ones. The acknowledgment that final shift quality can depend on the frame and other details does make sense, but I raised my eyebrows at the report that the full Shimano setup worked worse than the Rotor. Not that I expected the Rotor to be bad, just full Shimano 9200 should be top of the heap, right?

In the end I'll just have to try what I think might work and take my chances. For what it's worth, I'm currently running Carbon-Ti 50/34 Evo rings (yes, I bought a second big ring to do the mod) with a Hollowgram crank and 5-arm 110 BCD Cannondale SL spider. I've never thrown the chain over the top. On the contrary, upshifts at slower speeds are where I get issues sometimes, the big ring just doesn't quite pick up the chain for a second or 2 and then does.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

What is the best performing 12 speed road chain these days? Been running connex but no 12 speed version. Dont mind mixing my shimano 12 speed groupset

kode54

by kode54

You don’t like the Shimano 12-speed chain?
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

bobones

by bobones

MrRolandos wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 6:48 am
What is the best performing 12 speed road chain these days? Been running connex but no 12 speed version. Dont mind mixing my shimano 12 speed groupset
The KMC X12 works well enough on my 11-34 Ultegra (CS-R8100) cassette, but it's not quite as smooth on shifts as the CN-M8100 chain it replaced due to the latter being machined for HG+.

MrRolandos

by MrRolandos

kode54 wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 9:29 am
You don’t like the Shimano 12-speed chain?
Havent tried yet, going for custom build so everything is possible. 11 speed shimano chains are thrash

blaugrana

by blaugrana

MrRolandos wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 12:04 pm
11 speed shimano chains are thrash
What? This is literally the first time I hear or read someone say that. I have never had a problem with them after riding for years and tens of thousands of km. And if I remember correctly, waxed Dura Ace chains are the fastest on friction tests.

markdjr

by markdjr

YBN is the go to option for a premium 12spd chain I believe. I can't imagine another brand is going to shift better than Shimano rings. The new EVO Carbon Ti rings seem to work well, Praxis is ok, lots of good options that work, but Shimano is going to offer the best shift quality in my opinion.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Matte86

by Matte86

Have you, by chance, tried a YBN 12s chain with the new 9200?