Mixed groupsets: etiquette/aesthetics

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ry5n

by ry5n

I'm finalizing a new build with 12 speed Dura-Ace, but won't be using the 9200 crankset. I've got it down to 2 options:
  • SRAM Red exogram (BB30) + 4iiii
  • Clavicula SE with PM
I plan to use Carbon-Ti rings with either one. Aesthetically, the Clavicula wins. The rings will have clean lines with the THM, but won't be as nice with the SRAM.

But the THM is $$$ and likely won't save more than 20 g with BB factored in.

What are “the rules” for mixing cranks with a different gruppo? I do care about faux pas :)

Should I save up for the THM? Strip the Red cranks and clearcoat? Or just let my freak flag fly?

AndreLM

by AndreLM

Release the freak flag!

This is from someone running 11sp DA, with a Quarq DZero crankset paired to Stronglight rings, a SRAM Red cassette and KMC chain (with a Connex link). And a gravel bike with SRAM shifters and cranks, with Shimano cassete and chain).

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

Are you only looking at 5-arm cranks? RED AXS/Quarq D1 arms w/ DFour91 PM spider would look ok with chainring bolt covers

For the RED BB30 (integrated spider) crank, do you have a frame compatible with its shorter spindle?
Last edited by StiffWeenies on Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:26 pm, edited 1 time in total.

js

by js

When I switched from SRAM Red to Ultegra 8100, I kept my SRAM Red Crank with Sigeyi PM, because it's better in every way. While I initially thought about stipping the decals, it matches my bike nicely and I'm just not that fussed, so it's stayed as it is and I couldn't be happier.

Gazelleer

by Gazelleer

I know of someone who runs DA cranksets on two Campagnolo Record builds

ry5n

by ry5n

StiffWeenies wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:15 pm
Are you only looking at 5-arm cranks? RED AXS/Quarq D1 arms w/ DFour91 PM spider would look ok...

For the RED BB30 (integrated spider) crank, do you have a frame compatible with its shorter spindle?
It's a Supersix Evo, so the Red BB30 should fit if I remove the preload ring.

I hadn't considered AXS cranksets 🤔 Any idea of weight for the Red + DFour91 setup?

ry5n

by ry5n

Etiquette-wise, it sounds like it's more personal preference than community consensus. That's good to know :)

> This is from someone running 11sp DA, with a Quarq DZero crankset paired to Stronglight rings, a SRAM Red cassette and KMC chain (with a Connex link). And a gravel bike with SRAM shifters and cranks, with Shimano cassete and chain).

AndreLM, you my friend have me beat!

Geoff

by Geoff

CyclingGiraffe

by CyclingGiraffe

On my old "retromod" bike I'm running a 9100 DA compact crankset on an otherwise 7800 DA drivetrain, to make better use of the 25T low cog on that 10-speed cassette. While I had some concerns re: the aesthetics and shifting quality of the front derailleur, I think it looks great and the shifting has been pretty much flawless (using a KMC gold 10-speed chain). I'm from the era when it wasn't uncommon for mountain bikes with otherwise "full XT" to come with Sugino cranks, or "full Ultegra" road bikes coming with various versions of FSA or "house brand" cranksets, primarily for cost-savings. Sometimes, the non-group grankset was an "upgrade" as in the case of the Cannondale CODA (magic motorcycle) cranks or the Look carbon cranks.

In other words, if it fits and it works, then mix away!

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have a mix of parts on most my bikes. The V2R rim is running etap 11sp with DA cranks and Rotor inner/AB outer and I think it looks good. The V2R disc has AXS red now but it did have Campy Rec/SR mix but I did stick with the Campy crank/P2M 12sp and swapped the rest of the group for the AXS. I think it looks even better and it works flawlessly. So the point is if it works and you like the looks, go for it.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

spartacus

by spartacus

Nobody cares do whatever you want

Lelandjt

by Lelandjt

ry5n wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 10:31 pm
StiffWeenies wrote:
Wed Feb 15, 2023 7:15 pm
Are you only looking at 5-arm cranks? RED AXS/Quarq D1 arms w/ DFour91 PM spider would look ok...

It's a Supersix Evo, so the Red BB30 should fit if I remove the preload ring.

I hadn't considered AXS cranksets 🤔 Any idea of weight for the Red + DFour91 setup?
I have the same frame (2015 Hi-Mod) and crank (Red 11spd BB30) and it fits perfectly installed as intended with the preload ring. So many people use a Red crank with Dura-Ace that it won't raise an eyebrow. It just shows that you're aware Shimano makes great shifting and lousy cranks.

ry5n

by ry5n

Lelandjt wrote:
Thu Feb 16, 2023 3:01 am
I have the same frame (2015 Hi-Mod) and crank (Red 11spd BB30) and it fits perfectly installed as intended with the preload ring.... It just shows that you're aware Shimano makes great shifting and lousy cranks.
Thanks for the encouragement!

My Supersix Evo is PF30A, but the Red Exogram crank will fit BB30A (same shell width). Should be OK🤞

nooski

by nooski

I use Campagnolo 11sp SuperRecord levers with Chorus mechs, using Ultegra cassette, Sram Eagle 12sp chain with Hollowgram SiSL2 cranset and 10 arm spidering and Planet X brakes. Everything works fine :-)
Dum spiro spero
my bike: viewtopic.php?f=10&t=130302

AndreLM

by AndreLM

ry5n wrote:
AndreLM, you my friend have me beat!
And forgot to mention, eeBrakes (of course since this WW).

Sent from my Pixel 7 using Tapatalk

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com