Mixed groupsets: etiquette/aesthetics

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

ry5n

by ry5n

ry5n wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 9:41 pm
...I’m still working on the project that started this thread: using an integrated-spider Red Exogram crank (BB30 version) with the new Carbon-Ti Evo rings for Shimano 12-speed. Turns out these rings are thicker than the normal ~4mm, and don’t fit due to the hidden bolt design of the crank...

So, after running the idea past Carbon-Ti, I’m having the big ring modified by a local carbon shop. Should have it back in a week or so. I can’t endorse this approach but I can report back at least if it fits :)
Update: it fits! You can see the modified part of the chainring at top right. The shop did a great job.

Total weight of the crank, including both rings (50/34) and fixing hardware will be 483.9 g (measured). Next up is to get it on the bike and see how the shifting is. If I’m happy with how it runs, I’ll add a 4iiii power meter pod (+ 8 g estimated), for a total of 492 g for the complete crankset.

I suspect I’ll leave the SRAM graphics in the end. It will be a story to tell. Fingers crossed!

carboring-evo-50t-mod.jpg
sram-red-carboring-outside.jpg
sram-red-carboring-inside.jpg

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

PeanutButterCups

by PeanutButterCups

Running this with a 12spd Record chain/derailleurs. Works like magic.
IMG_0619.jpeg

Jaisen

by Jaisen

ry5n wrote:
Mon May 29, 2023 3:06 am
ry5n wrote:
Mon May 08, 2023 9:41 pm
...I’m still working on the project that started this thread: using an integrated-spider Red Exogram crank (BB30 version) with the new Carbon-Ti Evo rings for Shimano 12-speed. Turns out these rings are thicker than the normal ~4mm, and don’t fit due to the hidden bolt design of the crank...

So, after running the idea past Carbon-Ti, I’m having the big ring modified by a local carbon shop. Should have it back in a week or so. I can’t endorse this approach but I can report back at least if it fits :)
Update: it fits! You can see the modified part of the chainring at top right. The shop did a great job.

Total weight of the crank, including both rings (50/34) and fixing hardware will be 483.9 g (measured). Next up is to get it on the bike and see how the shifting is. If I’m happy with how it runs, I’ll add a 4iiii power meter pod (+ 8 g estimated), for a total of 492 g for the complete crankset.

I suspect I’ll leave the SRAM graphics in the end. It will be a story to tell. Fingers crossed!

carboring-evo-50t-mod.jpg
sram-red-carboring-outside.jpg
sram-red-carboring-inside.jpg
How's the shifting experience been?

ry5n

by ry5n

Jaisen wrote:
Mon Sep 04, 2023 6:50 am
How's the shifting experience been?
Actually really solid! I've never run Shimano chainrings on 11 or 12 speed, but it compares well to 11 speed Shimano with my old Hollowgram spidering (just faster).

I'm quite pleased with it. In fact, I just got the crank arm back this week after the 4iiii factory install. Now just have to get it on the bike and make a few other tweaks and this build will finally be done.

BigBoyND

by BigBoyND

Best shifting light weight option would be Red 8-bolt with Croder spider and R9200 rings. The few grams savings with other rings just isn't worth it, imo. Both in cost and shift quality.