Upgraded Pulleys on Shimano R9200 / R8100

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

js

by js

It seems many of the usual upgrade options for pulley upgrades in North America specifically mention they are not compatible with the latest 12spd Shimano rear derailleurs - yet the stock pulleys on my derailleur are as underwhelming as ever.

I'm aware that Ceramic Speed has an option, but it's about twice the cost of what Enduro and other North American options would normally cost me - upgrading pulleys is already crazy enough, so I'm trying to keep it from getting past the $200 mark if possible.

Further confusing matters, C-Bear states that it's pulleys are compatible with Shimano 11 AND 12 spd derailleurs, while Kogel has a design that's specific to R9200, while another supposedly works with R8100 AND R9100/R8000. Surely all that suggests that someone else is also misunderstanding the imcompatibility issues, right?

So what is the element that makes the R9200 / R8100 pulleys different?
Is Kogel's website just an oversight, and R8100 should be paired with R9200?
and perhaps most importantly...
Has anyone found reasonable upgrade options for Shimano 12spd road that are closer to $100 than $300 for the set?

Thanks in advance for any help you can offer.

Jaisen

by Jaisen

Shimano R9200 and R8100 share identical pulleys, part number is Y3J198010
Shimano R9100 pulleys are: Y5ZR98010
Shimano R8000 pulleys are: Y3E998010

Are they cross compatible? Perhaps, but if you want proper shifting and smoothness, you will want the upgrades to match the correct part number. The teeth profile are likely different on the new 12 speed group sets since the 11 speed and 12 speed chains are different.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

RDY

by RDY

None of the 'upgrades' are upgrades.

js

by js

Thanks Jaisen - that was my understanding and seems to confirm Kogel has things wrong.

It sounds like this may be best resolved by taking a few derailleurs apart in the work shop, getting a bunch of measurements and figuring out how things differ, to better understand what might work. But yes, the shifting is no problem at all, it's just that the stock pulleys roll so poorly compared to what's (normally) easily available from others.

apr46

by apr46

This might be an insane idea, but you could probably also just swap the bearings. I dont know which ones are in the new 12spd pulleys but the 11spd GRX used 606-2RS which is a pretty standard size.

For some reason, Ive been assuming that pro teams have either been running their pulleys dry or modding them with ceramic bearings to run them more or less dry since Shimano in particular seemed to frown on aftermarket parts. Given that they arent loaded to same degree as BB or wheel bearings, surely they would last through most of a race like that.

Running the pulleys dry probably isnt an option for most of us regular folk, but you can certainly find some free-er spinning bearings to put in there.

FactoryMatt

by FactoryMatt

9200 pulleys seem to be narrower than the 8000 pulleys. the extralite (Sram 12/14) pulleys i was using in the 8000 derailleur wont work here with the same length pulley bolts, and the cage halves look a mile apart.

any 12/14 options out there besides the massively overpriced Kogel pulleys? I do appreciate they have a set with narrower shields specifically for 9200.

otnemem

by otnemem

I think Garbaruk makes them, but haven't tried them myself.

StiffWeenies

by StiffWeenies

Croder, Token, BBInfinite

wheelbuilder

by wheelbuilder

apr46 wrote:This might be an insane idea, but you could probably also just swap the bearings. I dont know which ones are in the new 12spd pulleys but the 11spd GRX used 606-2RS which is a pretty standard size.

For some reason, Ive been assuming that pro teams have either been running their pulleys dry or modding them with ceramic bearings to run them more or less dry since Shimano in particular seemed to frown on aftermarket parts. Given that they arent loaded to same degree as BB or wheel bearings, surely they would last through most of a race like that.

Running the pulleys dry probably isnt an option for most of us regular folk, but you can certainly find some free-er spinning bearings to put in there.
Really don't think your dry pulley scenario is likely.

Sent from my SM-A526U1 using Tapatalk

Never cheer before you know who is winning

snaxez

by snaxez

Moquai seems to have a cheap option. (Should be a german company) for 102€
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/moquai- ... 000-series
Moquai seems to be a brand under Zoulou GmbH & Co. KG https://www.zoulou-bikes.com/

NovaRide (France company) for 249€
https://novatoride.com/gb/carbon-cerami ... e-12s.html

And there is a option from CyclingCeramic (France company) for 269€
https://cyclingceramic.com/shop/odc-for ... 00-serial/

Has anyone tested any of those?
Kogel, CearamicSpeed and Token ones seem crazy expensive for just looks.

kode54

by kode54

FactoryMatt wrote:
Tue Mar 28, 2023 1:59 am
9200 pulleys seem to be narrower than the 8000 pulleys. the extralite (Sram 12/14) pulleys i was using in the 8000 derailleur wont work here with the same length pulley bolts, and the cage halves look a mile apart.

any 12/14 options out there besides the massively overpriced Kogel pulleys? I do appreciate they have a set with narrower shields specifically for 9200.
^^ this. You can measure the thickness and while the pulleys may be the same, the bearing dust caps aren't. On the Kogels, if you have the 11 speed variant, just buy the 12-speed end caps...they are flat while the 11-speed ones have a lip to the edge.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

alanyu

by alanyu

Is the width difference really a thing? You can either use longer bolts or change/file down side caps.

kode54

by kode54

You can use longer bolts but the spread of the cages appearance is bad and looks unfinished. I’m sure they work but feel a chain can get stuck somewhere if it jumps the pulley teeth.
- Factor Ostro VAM Disc
- Factor LS Disc
- Specialized Aethos Disc
- Sturdy Ti Allroad Disc
- Guru Praemio R Disc

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

kolau

by kolau

snaxez wrote:Moquai seems to have a cheap option. (Should be a german company) for 102€
https://www.bike-discount.de/en/moquai- ... 000-series
Moquai seems to be a brand under Zoulou GmbH & Co. KG https://www.zoulou-bikes.com/

NovaRide (France company) for 249€
https://novatoride.com/gb/carbon-cerami ... e-12s.html

And there is a option from CyclingCeramic (France company) for 269€
https://cyclingceramic.com/shop/odc-for ... 00-serial/

Has anyone tested any of those?
Kogel, CearamicSpeed and Token ones seem crazy expensive for just looks.
I had a set of novaride pulleys with r9200 until it broke during a climb and damaged my bontrager rsl51 wheel and madone frameset.

Can't recommend it..

Enviado desde mi 21081111RG mediante Tapatalk