Stem advice

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Seph

by Seph

Hello, i actually have mounted a BMC ICS 0 stem.
Probably i should replace with a shorter one (the ICS is claimed to be 90 but measure 100).

I would like some advices to find something almost the the same shape or more similar possible whiteout breaking the bank.

I was looking at the prime doyenne aero alloy that is very interesting but my doubt regarding it is about the spacers.

Inviato dal mio Redmi Note 9 Pro utilizzando Tapatalk

X5SAE

by X5SAE

The Prime Doyenne Aero is pretty heavy (your stem probably as well) and not for internal cable routing. So are the included spacers. The spacers and their topcap are made to fit a 41 mm top bearing.

Maybe you can source a used 80 mm ICS stem?
Road
Cube Agree C:62 SLT 2021 (frame+fork) DA 9270 6.9x kg - ride-ready 7.25 kg w/pedals, cages, sensors, Wahoo mount

Gravel
Velobuild GF-002 Force AXS 7.5 kg, ride-ready 7.775 kg w/200 ml Stan‘s, pedals, cages, sensors, Wahoo/Cateye mounts

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Seph

by Seph

X5SAE wrote:The Prime Doyenne Aero is pretty heavy (your stem probably as well) and not for internal cable routing. So are the included spacers. The spacers and their topcap are made to fit a 41 mm top bearing.

Maybe you can source a used 80 mm ICS stem?
Yea Is funny because I have an ics and the cables are outside it Image, I'll post a photo when I get back home. Finding another ics seems pretty difficult, i must buy a new one and cost a part i don't think is easy to resell.

Seph

by Seph

Reading on internet seems that ics weight circa 305g.

X5SAE

by X5SAE

:unbelievable: Indeed even heavier than Deda Vinci and the likes...
That’s the 110 mm Prime without spacers
That’s the 110 mm Prime without spacers
Road
Cube Agree C:62 SLT 2021 (frame+fork) DA 9270 6.9x kg - ride-ready 7.25 kg w/pedals, cages, sensors, Wahoo mount

Gravel
Velobuild GF-002 Force AXS 7.5 kg, ride-ready 7.775 kg w/200 ml Stan‘s, pedals, cages, sensors, Wahoo/Cateye mounts

harblhat

by harblhat

The weight weenie and bang for buck answer would be the Kalloy Uno with separately purchased titanium bolts. Since your cables already run outside the stem and you are looking for value, there's an option. It won't look all pretty and aero if that matters.

Seph

by Seph

harblhat wrote:The weight weenie and bang for buck answer would be the Kalloy Uno with separately purchased titanium bolts. Since your cables already run outside the stem and you are looking for value, there's an option. It won't look all pretty and aero if that matters.
Are they safe? The price looks very nice and also the weight.
Definitely that's a good idea, how much weight i can save with titanium bolts?

harblhat

by harblhat

Seph wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:17 am
There's a thread here on user experiences which is generally positive with a few issues. Personally I own six of them with four currently in full time use with titanium bolts. Two of them have been in service for over 10k km.

Titanium bolts will save you about 10g.

Seph

by Seph

harblhat wrote:
Seph wrote:
Tue Feb 07, 2023 8:17 am
There's a thread here on user experiences which is generally positive with a few issues. Personally I own six of them with four currently in full time use with titanium bolts. Two of them have been in service for over 10k km.

Titanium bolts will save you about 10g.
Can you link the tread please.

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

I have the Uno on my gravel bike for several years no issues. I have MCFK on my road bikes no issues there either.

Seph

by Seph

This uno sound too good, actually my decision is between uno and prime lightweight doyenne(10g heavier).

Can you guys recommend me a set of aero spacers to keep a bit the aesthetics?

pushpush

by pushpush

I have run an Uno on my hardtail mountain bike for 2yrs, and they have not been easy years. Stem has presented no problems.

I have run a combo of a 80mm and 100mm Unos on an Aethos for 1.5yr without any trouble.

I got mine from Fairwheel and kitted them up with the Ti bolts. They seem to be as good as anything else out there for a lot less money. I'd buy another if I were in need of one.

I have also used a Wren stem for a few years. This is probably a badged version of the Uno? It has also been trouble free and similarly priced. Uno is stealth with no branding. wren has a name on it. I prefer the unbranded look.

Seph

by Seph

Can Anyone link me an official kalloy uno store on aliexpress?

Juanmoretime
Administrator

by Juanmoretime

[quote=Seph post_id=1805369 time=1684331900 user_id=137119]
[/quote]

In the past I have purchased my Kalloy stems from Fleabay. I have not had to purchase one in a long time. My stable of bikes is complete and at this point of my life I just want to ride.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

chupster98

by chupster98

Seph wrote:
Wed May 17, 2023 2:58 pm
https://tinyurl.com/3cjb3mzz

Screenshot 2023-05-17 104518.jpg
2020 Giant Revolt Advanced 0
2016 Giant TCR Advanced SL
2014 Santa Cruz 5010 CC