New Bont Vaypor shoes 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

tommyboyo

by tommyboyo

Still not really available anywhere without a long lead time it seems?

Not been the greatest product launch ever.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Weber

by Weber

Has anyone tried them and can compare them with the vaypor s?

B0tt0mline

by B0tt0mline

Is it Nimble or Bont???
Colnago C68- Enve SES 4.5
S-Works Aethos - Enve SES 2.3
Open MIN.D - Enve SES AR 4.5
Mosaic GT2-45 - Enve SES AR 3.4
Open WI.DE - no money for Enve

lewolive

by lewolive

vaypor23.jpg
I have been riding this pair (46,5) for a month now, with Speedplay pedals (3 holes sole).

Previously I was riding Sidi 2005-2012 Vaypor S (2015), then Helix (2018).

My 2 previous Bont took long to feel comfortable. Let's say 500km at least. Then it was great for stiffness and comfort was OK.

Vaypor 2023 is a game changer compared with Vaypor S and Helix. Each shoe is 59g lighter than my Helix !
There are 2 BOA, which makes actually a great job to maintain the foot pull/push.
Helix has 1 BOA but it's tightening all around.

I prefer 2 BOA for road rides: I can tighten for sprints and get a great lock of the foot.

Overall stiffness is good, I don't believe it's stiffer than Vaypor S/Helix, but it's fine.
I was surpised to push over 1600W, which is a number that I did not reached over the past few years. So, great feelings in sprint.

But the best is probably the weight, that is crazy. Changing velocity is so easy with such lightweight shoes.

I needed 2 rides to feel perfect in these shoes (150km).

For me It's a mix of :
-ultra lightweight shoes
-Sidi comfort
-Shimano design
-BONT sole

The only drawback is that there is no toe protection and the shoe appareance could be easily damaged while walking.

harblhat

by harblhat

Thanks. How is the fit compared to the other Bont models? Toe box, midfoot width? Heel retention?

lewolive

by lewolive

The sole for me is similar or almost similar to Vaypor/Helix. My size of 46,5 is exactly the same with these shoes.

-Toe box: similar
-Mid box width: I feel slightly larger but I suppose it's similar. I guess it's because you can open more Vaypor 2023 than Helix
-Heel is different: I had pain with both Vaypor S and Helix when they were new. No pain at all with these. The retention is also better: with Vaypor S i was feeling that the heel was not high enough.

ipstefan

by ipstefan

I just received mine as well at the end of July (ordered at the start of April).
Previously ordered from Bont and returned: Zero+ in size 46.5 normal width (foot didn't fit well in toebox)
Worn in the past years: Shimano Sphyre 901 size 46 902 size 47 (903 fitted me similarly to 902);
The current model ordered is: Vaypor 46.5 wide width.
My foot length: 290mm, width 115mm.

Observations:
* better heel wrapping than Bont Zero+ (although there's no anti-slip material) - I have narrow heels;
* the length of the shoe seems to be 0.5 sizes longer than Bont Zero+
* the volume is higher and toebox is wider than expected - feels like Sidi Ergo Mega; Could be that they expect Cobra9 innersoles to be used inside, which would reduce the volume.
* the tongue is barely locked, as there's only a small wire passing through the center top of it; I wonder if the wire will cut it..
* they are light, very light feeling;
* I got the 3 holes version and the sole doesn't have the plastic red SPD-SL mounting plate stoppers like Shimano;

I'm returning them as my forefoot feels too loose in them, but still not sure about their fit.
Should I get a normal(non-wide) version, in the hope of better foot wrapping; or Specialized Sworks Torch; or try some DMT/Suplest ?
Last edited by ipstefan on Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:39 am, edited 5 times in total.

ipstefan

by ipstefan

duplicate

harblhat

by harblhat

ipstefan wrote:
Fri Jul 28, 2023 11:27 am
Could be that they expect Cobra9 innersoles to be used inside, which would reduce the volume.
Thanks for sharing your impressions. The Cobra9 insoles are very very thin, the thinnest I have tried. Maybe 2mm in the forefoot. Using them versus any other insole would increase the volume if anything. I like them quite a bit

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

Ive had mine for a couple weeks. I have 5 pairs of Bonts. The new shoes are much lighter. I purchased the wides and didnt need to mold these. I have another pair of the old style that I ordered as asian fit. I have narrow heals and wider forefoot. The heel fits better on these, again no moulding needed. The carbon around the sides of the shoe seems much lower. The material is much much softer. There is way more stretch to the fabric. These two things make them super comfy to me. I use to heat mold areas with a heat gun on the old shoes. Not possible with these. I am 100% possitive the fabric would melt.
I am not sure if its the lower carbon sides or the stretch material, but the fabric is stretched over the sides of the carbon in areas for me. You can see that in the last picture. Not sure how the fabric is going to hold up pushing over the shap edge. The top back of the shoe near the tonge needs some more material, at least for me. They are quite stretched on the last bit of the tonge in my case.

RDY

by RDY

Heel and area below ankle still looks really, really wide on those.
Last edited by RDY on Sat Jul 29, 2023 3:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

chris1234

by chris1234

The tongue looks weird.

Weber

by Weber

I have to say that the vaypor has a much more unique aesthetic and in my opinion more attractive.

cgrubb

by cgrubb

Hapsmo911 wrote:
Sat Jul 29, 2023 2:41 am
Ive had mine for a couple weeks. I have 5 pairs of Bonts. The new shoes are much lighter. I purchased the wides and didnt need to mold these. I have another pair of the old style that I ordered as asian fit. I have narrow heals and wider forefoot. The heel fits better on these, again no moulding needed. The carbon around the sides of the shoe seems much lower. The material is much much softer. There is way more stretch to the fabric. These two things make them super comfy to me. I use to heat mold areas with a heat gun on the old shoes. Not possible with these. I am 100% possitive the fabric would melt.
I am not sure if its the lower carbon sides or the stretch material, but the fabric is stretched over the sides of the carbon in areas for me. You can see that in the last picture. Not sure how the fabric is going to hold up pushing over the shap edge. The top back of the shoe near the tonge needs some more material, at least for me. They are quite stretched on the last bit of the tonge in my case.

Looks like you need more volume in the uppers - your foot looks as though it is squeezed in the shoe and the tongue barely closes - only way to get this extra volume is with semi-custom Bonts - expensive, but worth every cent though to get a shoe that really fits. Can also get special widths and can specify different width left vs right.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Hapsmo911

by Hapsmo911

"Looks like you need more volume in the uppers - your foot looks as though it is squeezed in the shoe and the tongue barely closes - only way to get this extra volume is with semi-custom Bonts - expensive, but worth every cent though to get a shoe that really fits. Can also get special widths and can specify different width left vs right."

I mentioned in my post that they need to add more material in the upper part of the shoe. I dont think have high volume feet . They fit great.
They do not offer semi custom with these shoes yet.
Heres more pics if it helps anyone. Like I said mine are 45 wides. These are with G8 insoles so that has a lot to do with the volume I would imagine

Image Image Image Image Image