New Bont Vaypor shoes 2023

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

LouisN

by LouisN

Indeed looking good. I'm afraid of those tiny upper Boa ropes cutting through the instep, unless the shoe tongue has some very hard material on top (or inside) that evenly spreads the pressure.
Louis :)

ms6073

by ms6073

Martijnbls wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:57 pm
Would love to hear real life feedback from users or read some reviews.
Silly question, but are the 'cross hair' markings on the bottom indicative of where Bont recommends cleat placement in relation to pedal spindle or just a graphic to ease alignment when attaching the cleats?

- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

MichaelB

by MichaelB

Just a graphic

Martijnbls

by Martijnbls

ms6073 wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 11:06 pm
Martijnbls wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 5:57 pm
Would love to hear real life feedback from users or read some reviews.
Silly question, but are the 'cross hair' markings on the bottom indicative of where Bont recommends cleat placement in relation to pedal spindle or just a graphic to ease alignment when attaching the cleats?

The latter

kdawg

by kdawg

LouisN wrote:
Wed Mar 15, 2023 8:13 pm
Indeed looking good. I'm afraid of those tiny upper Boa ropes cutting through the instep, unless the shoe tongue has some very hard material on top (or inside) that evenly spreads the pressure.
I've got Vaypor+ which have just those wires across the top like that - and you can't feel them at all. They are super comfy too - and I haven't had to mold them.

Because they were so good I bought a pair of VayporG in the same double wide size - and they aren't nearly as comfortable. They feel a lot narrower, and moulding them hasn't really helped. I had to take the insoles out and replaced them with a super thin one and they're okay for shorter rides but they're just nothing like the other ones which is a shame.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

Topzouille

by Topzouille

I ordered 2 pairs of it !
I have Bont vaypor li2 now. Very excited to wear them

mathias720

by mathias720

i ordered a pair of the 2023 bont vaypor aswell. really excited to see how it fits, went with the 44.5 and wide.
delivery time about 4-6 weeks

otnemem

by otnemem

Goddammit, that's probably going to be a killer anatomical fit, even better than before. Now I'm considering waiting instead of going for the S-Works lace. But my previous experience with Bont wasn't great - had cleat bolts coming in through the sole such was the QC.

RDY

by RDY

kdawg wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:16 am
LouisN wrote:
I've got Vaypor+ which have just those wires across the top like that - and you can't feel them at all. They are super comfy too - and I haven't had to mold them.

Because they were so good I bought a pair of VayporG in the same double wide size - and they aren't nearly as comfortable. They feel a lot narrower, and moulding them hasn't really helped. I had to take the insoles out and replaced them with a super thin one and they're okay for shorter rides but they're just nothing like the other ones which is a shame.
I think the Vaypor G is based on the Vaypor S. It would have made far more sense to base it on the Vaypor+, but per your experience, that's not what happened.

alanyu

by alanyu

Confirmed from the Bont Factory, the new 2023 model will be on sale in May at earliest.

kdawg

by kdawg

RDY wrote:
Fri Mar 17, 2023 11:51 am
kdawg wrote:
Thu Mar 16, 2023 12:16 am
LouisN wrote:

I think the Vaypor G is based on the Vaypor S. It would have made far more sense to base it on the Vaypor+, but per your experience, that's not what happened.
That's right - they look like the VayporS but with a lugged spd sole. They're synthetic rather than kangaroo leather and just not nearly as plush - more like the Vaypors I bought about 10 years ago.
I'm left handed, if that matters.

LouisN

by LouisN

The more I look at them the more I see Nimbl Ultimate shoes.

naavt

by naavt

I have a pair of Bonts Vaypor-S Wide with 2 years and never been 100% happy with them. They were definitely the best shoes I had until this couple of weeks (more on that in a moment), but my weird shapped feet, with very large toes, slim heel and very high instep was always an hassle to find the proper shoes for me.

My Bonts, after several attempts on the oven still botter me at my pinky toes and the overlap closure doesn't go over all the way because of my high instep (something that Bont addressed in this 2023 model by ditching the overlap closure and going for a straight tongue - kudos!).

Anyway. I was so frustrated with 2 years in a row with that experience that I gave Lake a try. Not wanting to trash big money and end in the same spot, I went for the "low cost" CX219 Wide and men... What a difference! Out of the box the shoe fits me like no other. The leather is much softer than on my Vaypor and allows the pinkies to stretch without disconfort. My high instep makes the single Boa dial work, since it compresses my upper feet first letting wiggle room in the toe area and I feel no difference whatsoevr in stifness between these Lakes and my Bonts.

Only thing that really annoys me in these shoes are the poor decision of going for L6 unidirectional Boas. Bummer!

Bonts now will probably be used on the trainer alone or be sold. In the near future I'll probably invest in a CX238-X.

sevencyclist

by sevencyclist

naavt wrote:
Fri Mar 24, 2023 12:39 pm

Anyway. I was so frustrated with 2 years in a row with that experience that I gave Lake a try. Not wanting to trash big money and end in the same spot, I went for the "low cost" CX219 Wide and men... What a difference! Out of the box the shoe fits me like no other. The leather is much softer than on my Vaypor and allows the pinkies to stretch without disconfort. My high instep makes the single Boa dial work, since it compresses my upper feet first letting wiggle room in the toe area and I feel no difference whatsoevr in stifness between these Lakes and my Bonts.

Only thing that really annoys me in these shoes are the poor decision of going for L6 unidirectional Boas. Bummer!

Bonts now will probably be used on the trainer alone or be sold. In the near future I'll probably invest in a CX238-X.
You can consider Lake CX242 which has even more accomodation features than CX238 with the
separate panels to accomodate foot variation. I am liking my MX 242 Wide which has similar features to CX242 but for offroad.

I am curious to try Bont shoes though, so reading through the opinions here.

chris1234

by chris1234

Looks like these are now available. Anyone got any reviews?

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com