Budget-ish Metal Disc Frame Options?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

14sandee

by 14sandee

Broady wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:17 pm
This new 8bar is clean - https://8bar-bikes.com/shop/8bar-mitte- ... c808#frame
I hadn't encountered them before, I'll have a look. Cheers!
All-City Zig-Zag / Custom Trinity / Crockett / 2014 TCR / Tom Bromwich Singlespeed / Kinesis "Kermit" Pro6

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

wilwil

by wilwil

Enigma non custom titanium?

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

alwaystimetotorque wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:48 pm
If you can overlook one of the criteria (internal routing) then I would suggest a Fairlight Strael.
I have a Mason Definition and a Strael 3. I used to think that the Definition was a great bike and in some respects it still is but the Fairlight is so much better. Fairly light for a steel frame, comfortable, great geometry, fast and bags of fun.
I also have a couple of other bikes and other than racing (Ridley Noah Fast) the Fairlight is my go to bike for pretty much everything else on the road.
I've got a Secan which is basically the gravel Strael and it's a brilliant, my favourite bike that I own. I didn't suggest the Strael due to the OP wanting internal routing and non visible mudguard and rack mounts, I'd highly recommend one though.

A Cinelli Nemo Tig Disc would be another option if external cables wasn't a dealbreaker.

FIJIGabe

by FIJIGabe

I'm not sure what the import duties would be, but I would vote for Lynskey. Not the lightest frames, by any stretch, but I think it ticks off all of the boxes, and they frequently have sales going on, so you might be able to get one at a better price.

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

If you can overlook one of the criteria (internal routing) then I would suggest a Fairlight Strael.
I have a Mason Definition and a Strael 3. I used to think that the Definition was a great bike and in some respects it still is but the Fairlight is so much better. Fairly light for a steel frame, comfortable, great geometry, fast and bags of fun.
I also have a couple of other bikes and other than racing (Ridley Noah Fast) the Fairlight is my go to bike for pretty much everything else on the road.
I don't want to derail the thread too much, but could you elaborate? I'm a pretty big Definition fan, and have read the (almost universally) rave reviews of the Strael, so I'd be interested to know what makes it much better (genuine q, not trolling).

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

wilwil wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:02 pm
Actually, last I looked Enigma had a fair few sale frames on their site, so that might be a good shout. I have seen threads about possibly dubious build quality on the 'core' range, but that's a separate topic.

matcav

by matcav

As you wrote, the perfect candidate seems to be the standert triebwerk - so better to wait a bit or take their (IMHO very nice) ltd paint version. I know many people riding it, and definitely comes with the aura of a cool bike. the only alternative I can think of is the Cinelli Nemo tig - perhaps a ...

alwaystimetotorque

by alwaystimetotorque

raggedtrousers wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:25 pm
I don't want to derail the thread too much, but could you elaborate? I'm a pretty big Definition fan, and have read the (almost universally) rave reviews of the Strael, so I'd be interested to know what makes it much better (genuine q, not trolling).
I bought the definition as a replacement for my Kinesis T2 winter bike. I'd got to the point where I wanted disc brakes and internal routing as this bike was my all round commuter and dedicated winter bike complete with full guards and pannier rack. I live in the UK and my commute is 20 miles or so each way of rural back roads into more dense city/town areas.

I didn't buy the Strael as a replacement for the Definition but as a do it all bike for long days in the summer and for those spring/autumn days when I didn't want to take the best bike out - a bit of a go between. It was a replacement for both a Bowman Palace R and then a 3C (long story but I had a nightmare with Bowman) which I'd used for racing as well as Cinelli Vigorelli Road. I'd got to love the buttery smooth ride quality of the steel Cinelli.

The geometry of the Strael is almost identical to the Bowman Palace, Vigorelli and to that of my Noah Fast so it's a fairly race orientated geometry but has the benefit of having more clearance for wider tyres/guards and guard/pannier mounts. The only real downside is the exposed cable routing but that's the trade off to get a more traditional main triangle constructed with slender tubes.

The Strael is just such a fun bike to ride, it's responsive if you want to ride it quick but is comfortable as well for those longer days or for just ticking along. The Mason does this fairly well as well but in comparison I find that it's just a little life-less. Perhaps it's to do with the frame material difference and the geometry but whatever it is I find the Strael to be a better and more enjoyable bike to ride than the Definition. So much so that I now use the Strael as my commuter/winter bike as well as taking the guards off for the summer which is leaving the Definition surplus to requirments and I will probably sell it.

The reviews of the Strael and the Definition that are available online are, in my opinion, very accurate. It would be interesting to see a head to head review of the Strael and the Resolution though.

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

That's really helpful, thank you. I tested a Resolution at Mason's HQ, and enjoyed it, but thought it lacked a touch of snap (and I note that cycling tips weighed in the frame only, in a 52, at ~2.2kg, which perhaps explains it). I'm a huge fan of my Bokeh (same alloy as the Definition iirc, and quite similar geo) for gravel and audax, though it's on the firm side at times.

I'll look at the Strael again.

That said, if your Definition is a 52 by any chance, I could possibly be interested!

cjm

by cjm

How about a Repete Reason?

viewtopic.php?t=169521

alwaystimetotorque

by alwaystimetotorque

raggedtrousers wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 11:50 am
That's really helpful, thank you. I tested a Resolution at Mason's HQ, and enjoyed it, but thought it lacked a touch of snap (and I note that cycling tips weighed in the frame only, in a 52, at ~2.2kg, which perhaps explains it). I'm a huge fan of my Bokeh (same alloy as the Definition iirc, and quite similar geo) for gravel and audax, though it's on the firm side at times.

I'll look at the Strael again.

That said, if your Definition is a 52 by any chance, I could possibly be interested!
Unfortunately not - it's a 56.

14sandee

by 14sandee

cjm wrote:
Wed Feb 01, 2023 12:49 pm
How about a Repete Reason?

viewtopic.php?t=169521
Very cool but out of my budget, thanks
All-City Zig-Zag / Custom Trinity / Crockett / 2014 TCR / Tom Bromwich Singlespeed / Kinesis "Kermit" Pro6

chrisw91

by chrisw91

CampagYOLO wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:13 pm
I know you weren't keen on alloy frames but your budget would allow you to get a custom frame made in Italy and the price includes a fit:

https://www.spooncustoms.com/sestriere
FWIW, I'd absolutely add a second vote for Spoon. I wouldn't overlook the value of not just the individual & personal service you get (way beyond any other bike business I've ever dealt with), but also the quality of the paintwork and finish. It's not just "another alloy frame" with a finish the same as you'd get on an Allez Sprint or CAAD - the paintwork on the Sestriere comes out of the same paintshop (GunControl) who deal with all their top end builds.

Disclaimer: I'm a very happy owner of an Izoard steel build from 2020 which is by far and away the best bike I've ever ridden!

14sandee

by 14sandee

raggedtrousers wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:41 pm
wilwil wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 3:02 pm
Actually, last I looked Enigma had a fair few sale frames on their site, so that might be a good shout. I have seen threads about possibly dubious build quality on the 'core' range, but that's a separate topic.
I've looked at the sale frames, unfortunately they're all for electronic groupsets only and I want to run my current mechanical. If one pops up that works for mech it'd be a good option though.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nohands83

by Nohands83

Condor Super Acciaio is steel with really racy geo, a mate has one and really rates it - lovely finish as well. Condor also do the Italia RC which is very similar but alloy.

FYI I've got a Mason Definition which I use as a winter trainer and commuter, and it's superb for that purpose but I wouldn't want it as my 'fast' bike.