Budget-ish Metal Disc Frame Options?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

14sandee

by 14sandee

Hi all,
Resurrecting my long-lost WW account to ask a slightly un-weenie question. I am, put simply, bored of my current 2018 Emonda SLR6 Disc and want to swap it for something metallic. I'm planning to sell the frame and keep my current wheels/mechanical Ultegra hydraulic disc gruppo/finishing kit. Ideally I'd like:
  • Not too heavy - obviously will be far more than my Trek but I don't want an 11kg bike.
  • Fairly inexpensive - certaily sub 2000GBP as am a student and as always, money is not that freely available.
  • Flat mount disc brake.
  • Internal cabling.
  • Thru Axles.
  • Preferably steel (including stainless) or titanium.
  • Traditional (flat top tube) looks - the Standert Triebwerk is pretty perfect.
  • Relatively racy - I'll be keeping my Crockett do-it-all bike for off-road, winter, etc, so this will be my fast road bike. That said, if I can find an option that will take 650b*47mm tyres for gravel, be nimble enoigh for CX, and still be fast on the road I may consider swapping both bikes for one.
  • Clearance for at least 28mm tyres.
  • Ideally either a cool paintjob or a bare metal finish - doesn't have to be complicated, again see the Standert in that gorgeous metallic green.
  • Threded BB - non-negotiable!
  • Not a Planet X or any of their sister brands - I'm just really not a fan...
I will consider aluminium but I'd much rather the other options. I also don't really want something with rack and guard mounts, unless they're very discrete - for example, the Mason Resolution looks like an excellent bike but isn't what I want.
Currently I'm thinking the aformentioned Standert Triebwerk CR might be my best option, but their availibilty is erratic, I'd have to import it to the UK, and I've just missed the last 54cm frame in green >:(
I would also consider a custom frame - I've heard some mentions of XACD and Waltly as a "buy direct from the manufacturer" option? Are there any independent framebuilders who can build a steel frame for a relatively low cost?

SO. What else is out there that I've missed/simply not heard of?
All-City Zig-Zag / Custom Trinity / Crockett / 2014 TCR / Tom Bromwich Singlespeed / Kinesis "Kermit" Pro6

AM7Jeremy

by AM7Jeremy

Give Blackheart a look. It's a titanium all road frameset that has classic lines with a threaded bb without all the craziness of internal routing (cables can still go through the downtube).

https://blackheartbikeco.com/pages/allroad-ti

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Aress

by Aress

14sandee wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:14 pm
Hi all,
Resurrecting my long-lost WW account to ask a slightly un-weenie question. I am, put simply, bored of my current 2018 Emonda SLR6 Disc and want to swap it for something metallic. I'm planning to sell the frame and keep my current wheels/mechanical Ultegra hydraulic disc gruppo/finishing kit. Ideally I'd like:
  • Not too heavy - obviously will be far more than my Trek but I don't want an 11kg bike.
  • Fairly inexpensive - certaily sub 2000GBP as am a student and as always, money is not that freely available.
  • Flat mount disc brake.
  • Internal cabling.
  • Thru Axles.
  • Preferably steel (including stainless) or titanium.
  • Traditional (flat top tube) looks - the Standert Triebwerk is pretty perfect.
  • Relatively racy - I'll be keeping my Crockett do-it-all bike for off-road, winter, etc, so this will be my fast road bike. That said, if I can find an option that will take 650b*47mm tyres for gravel, be nimble enoigh for CX, and still be fast on the road I may consider swapping both bikes for one.
  • Clearance for at least 28mm tyres.
  • Ideally either a cool paintjob or a bare metal finish - doesn't have to be complicated, again see the Standert in that gorgeous metallic green.
  • Threded BB - non-negotiable!
  • Not a Planet X or any of their sister brands - I'm just really not a fan...
I will consider aluminium but I'd much rather the other options. I also don't really want something with rack and guard mounts, unless they're very discrete - for example, the Mason Resolution looks like an excellent bike but isn't what I want.
Currently I'm thinking the aformentioned Standert Triebwerk CR might be my best option, but their availibilty is erratic, I'd have to import it to the UK, and I've just missed the last 54cm frame in green >:(
I would also consider a custom frame - I've heard some mentions of XACD and Waltly as a "buy direct from the manufacturer" option? Are there any independent framebuilders who can build a steel frame for a relatively low cost?

SO. What else is out there that I've missed/simply not heard of?
My man don't be already an old man, if you want a metal bike. Get a Kreissage

14sandee

by 14sandee

Aress wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:34 pm
My man don't be already an old man, if you want a metal bike. Get a Kreissage
I want something a bit more exotic than alu; Kreissages are dead cool but I don't race and so something slightly less agressive is more "me". My emonda is a H2 fit, and I do run it with a -17 stem, but it's still higher than a Kreissage.
All-City Zig-Zag / Custom Trinity / Crockett / 2014 TCR / Tom Bromwich Singlespeed / Kinesis "Kermit" Pro6

14sandee

by 14sandee

AM7Jeremy wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 4:23 pm
Give Blackheart a look. It's a titanium all road frameset that has classic lines with a threaded bb without all the craziness of internal routing (cables can still go through the downtube).

https://blackheartbikeco.com/pages/allroad-ti
That looks great, but unfortunately 3000USD is pushing what I want to pay and when you factor in import duties to the UK it'll be way out of budget.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

I know you weren't keen on alloy frames but your budget would allow you to get a custom frame made in Italy and the price includes a fit:

https://www.spooncustoms.com/sestriere

14sandee

by 14sandee

CampagYOLO wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:13 pm
I know you weren't keen on alloy frames but your budget would allow you to get a custom frame made in Italy and the price includes a fit:

Ooooo I'd forgotten Spoon existed, that does look exciting. I'll look into it more - thanks! I would compromise on Alu for full custom...

souplesse

by souplesse

Have you considered any of Ribble's offerings? You can get their steel endurance frameset for £1,099 and their titanium equivalent for £2,099.

ultimobici
in the industry

by ultimobici

Condor Fratello Disc? £1400

MrCurrieinahurry

by MrCurrieinahurry

https://instagram.com/via_atelier.cc?ig ... MyMTA2M2Y=

These guys sell standerts Image

Basso Diamante eps 12

Formerly known as Curryinahurry

CustomMetal

by CustomMetal

Definitely a vote for Spoon! Their customer experience is exemplary. Great interview with the owner I saw recently
Allegra- Steel Lugs TBC
Aurelia- Stainless All Road 8.5kg
Bertha- TT 9.8kg
Perdita- Ti Turbo bike 8kg
Serenity- Ti Gravel 9.5kg/8.9kg
Verity- Ti Aero 8.2kg
Alya- Ti Climbing TBC

All weights with pedals,cages & garmin mount

rhender

by rhender

I'm watching the 2023 Emonda ALR thread closely: viewtopic.php?t=171060

Checks most of your boxes but obviously isn't as unique as the Standert or Spoon would be

Aress

by Aress

CampagYOLO wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:13 pm

if you are in the Uk there is also Racer Rosa which is even cheaper

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

rhender wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:29 pm
I'm watching the 2023 Emonda ALR thread closely: viewtopic.php?t=171060

Checks most of your boxes but obviously isn't as unique as the Standert or Spoon would be
Spoon is most likely made by Legend, so there is an option from them to.
Yupp, that Trek would be a less expensive option.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

Brian Rourke would make you a custom steel frame that fits your requirements for sub 2k (as long as you don't want stainless), as would Pete at Alfano Frameworks (most underrated framebuilder in the UK IMO).

The Mason Resolution also fits your requirements pretty well IMO. If you're prepared to go with alloy, the Definition in particular isn't a slow bike, and any difference over a carbon bike will be immaterial if you don't race. You won't notice the discreet mounts and you might decide to use them one day!

But for alu, Spoon is very much on my radar.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com