Budget-ish Metal Disc Frame Options?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

14sandee

by 14sandee

souplesse wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:40 pm
Have you considered any of Ribble's offerings? You can get their steel endurance frameset for £1,099 and their titanium equivalent for £2,099.
Not a fan of the dropped stays, or external routing on the steel model - purely aesthetics I know!
All-City Zig-Zag / Custom Trinity / Crockett / 2014 TCR / Tom Bromwich Singlespeed / Kinesis "Kermit" Pro6

14sandee

by 14sandee

ultimobici wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 5:52 pm
Condor Fratello Disc? £1400
Condor is on my radar, although really I want an Accacio Stainless...
All-City Zig-Zag / Custom Trinity / Crockett / 2014 TCR / Tom Bromwich Singlespeed / Kinesis "Kermit" Pro6

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

14sandee

by 14sandee

MrCurrieinahurry wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 6:02 pm
https://instagram.com/via_atelier.cc?ig ... MyMTA2M2Y=

These guys sell standerts Image

Basso Diamante eps 12
That could be very useful - thanks!

14sandee

by 14sandee

rhender wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 7:29 pm
I'm watching the 2023 Emonda ALR thread closely: viewtopic.php?t=171060

Checks most of your boxes but obviously isn't as unique as the Standert or Spoon would be
That's a good looking bike, but not quite classic enough for my taste and as my winter/CX bike is a Crockett I'm keen to have something a bit different.

14sandee

by 14sandee

raggedtrousers wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:54 pm
Brian Rourke would make you a custom steel frame that fits your requirements for sub 2k (as long as you don't want stainless), as would Pete at Alfano Frameworks (most underrated framebuilder in the UK IMO).

The Mason Resolution also fits your requirements pretty well IMO. If you're prepared to go with alloy, the Definition in particular isn't a slow bike, and any difference over a carbon bike will be immaterial if you don't race. You won't notice the discreet mounts and you might decide to use them one day!
Something about the Mason just doesn't work for me - I appreciate they're excellent bikes but they're not quite what I'm looking for. I don't know race at the moment but I have and may again at some point (even if it's only the odd local hill-climb) so would like something with a bit of kick.
I'll look into the other two framebuilders - thanks! Spoon seems to be getting lots of support too...

Mocs123

by Mocs123

Moots Vamoots CRD?
2015 Wilier Zero.7 Rim - 6.37kg
2020 Trek Emonda SLR-7 Disc - 6.86kg
2023 Specialized SL7 - 7.18kg

bobones

by bobones

Mocs123 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:33 am
Moots Vamoots CRD?
You must've missed the word 'budget-ish' in the thread title.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

bobones wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 5:13 am
Mocs123 wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:33 am
Moots Vamoots CRD?
You must've missed the word 'budget-ish' in the thread title.
I'm all ears if the poster knows of a place to get a Moots Vamoots frameset for £2,000!

schlafen

by schlafen

I would go custom as well if I was prepared to spend £2k.

Sent from my SM-A515F using Tapatalk

JAZ

by JAZ

Slighty over the top end of your budget but I've always liked the look and options on the Cyfac steel frame.
https://www.cyfac.fr/produit/stil/

raggedtrousers

by raggedtrousers

14sandee wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:02 am
raggedtrousers wrote:
Brian Rourke would make you a custom steel frame that fits your requirements for sub 2k (as long as you don't want stainless), as would Pete at Alfano Frameworks (most underrated framebuilder in the UK IMO).

The Mason Resolution also fits your requirements pretty well IMO. If you're prepared to go with alloy, the Definition in particular isn't a slow bike, and any difference over a carbon bike will be immaterial if you don't race. You won't notice the discreet mounts and you might decide to use them one day!
Something about the Mason just doesn't work for me - I appreciate they're excellent bikes but they're not quite what I'm looking for. I don't know race at the moment but I have and may again at some point (even if it's only the odd local hill-climb) so would like something with a bit of kick.
I'll look into the other two framebuilders - thanks! Spoon seems to be getting lots of support too...
No, fair play - sometimes brands just don't speak to you, which I totally get.

The Spoons looks very cool, I'd guess it will be quick and direct, and I reckon the buying experience will be great, but if you can/do fit on stock geometry, I might be a bit wary about dropping almost £2k on alloy when you can pick up a CAAD or Emonda ALR frameset for under a grand. It's what's held me back from pulling the trigger, in honesty; beyond the name and the cool factor, does it offer much that the CAAD, ALR or Allez Sprint don't? If you're on a semi-budget and want fast-ish, that extra ~1k gets you electronic rather than mechanical shifting, or really top notch versus fairly budget wheels, etc.

There's arguments both ways (groupsets and wheels can always be changed, for example), but food for thought, anyway.

If you are prepared to go with a non 'name' framebuilder, then a predominantly 853 or Spirit frame, with a Columbus fork, in a standard paintjob should be very doable for less than £2k. In a medium-ish size, with 'normal' paint, I'd expect a frame like that to come in at ~1800g, so roughly a 700-800g weight penalty over mid-range carbon. Whether that's worth it totally depends on what you're looking for.

One tip: if you go down the steel route, look for a builder who asks questions about riding style and weight, and will suggest tubing accordingly. Many 'custom' frames are really just custom sizing and paint and a stock tube package. That totally misses the point of custom steel IMO, and is the reason many buyers end up a bit underwhelmed with the ride of their shiny new steel bike.
Good luck!

Aress

by Aress

you got also racer rosa if you are in the UK and looking for custom alloy

alwaystimetotorque

by alwaystimetotorque

If you can overlook one of the criteria (internal routing) then I would suggest a Fairlight Strael.
I have a Mason Definition and a Strael 3. I used to think that the Definition was a great bike and in some respects it still is but the Fairlight is so much better. Fairly light for a steel frame, comfortable, great geometry, fast and bags of fun.
I also have a couple of other bikes and other than racing (Ridley Noah Fast) the Fairlight is my go to bike for pretty much everything else on the road.

14sandee

by 14sandee

raggedtrousers wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 1:11 pm
14sandee wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 2:02 am
raggedtrousers wrote:

No, fair play - sometimes brands just don't speak to you, which I totally get.

The Spoons looks very cool, I'd guess it will be quick and direct, and I reckon the buying experience will be great, but if you can/do fit on stock geometry, I might be a bit wary about dropping almost £2k on alloy when you can pick up a CAAD or Emonda ALR frameset for under a grand. It's what's held me back from pulling the trigger, in honesty; beyond the name and the cool factor, does it offer much that the CAAD, ALR or Allez Sprint don't? If you're on a semi-budget and want fast-ish, that extra ~1k gets you electronic rather than mechanical shifting, or really top notch versus fairly budget wheels, etc.

There's arguments both ways (groupsets and wheels can always be changed, for example), but food for thought, anyway.

If you are prepared to go with a non 'name' framebuilder, then a predominantly 853 or Spirit frame, with a Columbus fork, in a standard paintjob should be very doable for less than £2k. In a medium-ish size, with 'normal' paint, I'd expect a frame like that to come in at ~1800g, so roughly a 700-800g weight penalty over mid-range carbon. Whether that's worth it totally depends on what you're looking for.

One tip: if you go down the steel route, look for a builder who asks questions about riding style and weight, and will suggest tubing accordingly. Many 'custom' frames are really just custom sizing and paint and a stock tube package. That totally misses the point of custom steel IMO, and is the reason many buyers end up a bit underwhelmed with the ride of their shiny new steel bike.
Good luck!
To an extent I agree with you on Spoon; if I'm spending that much I think I'd rather just wait until I can get a Standert again and have the steel frame I really want. It's better looking than the Spesh/SLR/CAAD but that seems like poor reasoning for doubling the cost.
I'd like to think I know a reasonable amount about choosing tubes so if I do go custom I'll definitely ensure I get it done properly; once again if I want "standard" I'll buy a Standert...

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com