Carbon frame with fendermounts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

kervelo

by kervelo

eli76141 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:32 pm
@kervelo; does it exist with rimbrakes?
Sorry, my mistake. Caledonia is a disc brake frame.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

eli76141

by eli76141

jch3n wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:51 pm
Genuinely curious, why the choice of rim brakes for a rain bike? I have no strong opinion about rim brakes in dry/normal conditions. But for a dedicated rain bike? Disc brakes all the way....
bobones wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:27 pm
The OP wants rim brakes for whatever reasons. End of.
Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:21 am
Older rim brake Trek Domane is the best option to my knowledge. Excellent mounting points and as much tire clearance as you will find in this format. Could probably be found second hand for a low price. Geometry won't be racy but with a long negative or slammed stem it can work. You won't be racing with fenders will you? Relaxed geo for the winter is acceptable.

If you can find a Trek Cronus Road or the earlier Gary Fisher Cronus, they are even better options. Lighter, stiffer, racier geometry, with all the tire clearance of the Domane and first class fender mounts. But they are rare.
jch3n wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:51 pm
Genuinely curious, why the choice of rim brakes for a rain bike? I have no strong opinion about rim brakes in dry/normal conditions. But for a dedicated rain bike? Disc brakes all the way....
bobones wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:27 pm
The OP wants rim brakes for whatever reasons. End of.
And options have been provided.
The usual reasons of wanting to use existing groupsets and wheels probably apply, but sharing additional info may be helpful to the OP, hence the inquiry from jch3n I assume. Perhaps the OP is unaware of the excellent cable operated hydraulic brakes such as Juin Tech, etc. Perhaps also unaware of the excellent disc carbon wheels from Farsports and Light Bicycle that can be had for as little as $1000.
Many of us love our discs, but if there ever was a situation in which disc truly excelled above other stopping systems, it is when you need to fit fenders and are on wet roads. Nothing wrong with a fully informed decision even if unsolicited. The OP can decide if it fits the budget.
Thanks so much for all the advice. There's a lot of very helpfull info. I especially like the Boardman suggestion, since it doesn't break the bank. More suggestions are still very welcome.

That said, I'll be happy to elaborate on the rimbrake choice. I must say though, that my reasons apply to me and my winterbike/situation only. I have no problem with whatever everyone else is doing. If discs suit you better, that's perfectly fine with me.

1. Most of my mates ride rimbrakes during winter. I have no need of stopping my bike faster than they do. In that context discs would probably cause more problems than they would solve.

2. The bike is a winterbike, it's not a dedicated rainbike. If rain comes down hard, I don't ride. If I catch rain while riding, well that happens, that's what the bike is for. So brakingpower due to wet weather is very rarely a problem in my situation. The roads stay wet for days after rainy weather though, that and the occassional rain is mainly what the fenders are for.

3. I have around 8-9 aluminum wheelsets, that I would like to wear out before I move to discs.

4. I have lots of spare parts for my 10-speed winterbike groupset.

5. My groupset still works flawlessly. I have no reason to replace it or upgrade it.

6. Since so many people have moved to discs and to 11 and 12-speed, the world has thousands of inexpensive dedicated 10-speed wheelsets, that can be had for less than 50 euros. I'll be happy to wear them out (and save some money), if no one else will do it.

6. I've serviced rimbrake bikes for more than 20 years. I've never serviced disc bikes. Servicing rimbrake bikes is pretty easy and inexpensive, especially with all the spare parts that I have sitting around.

7. I don't like the shape of the hoods on lower end disc bikes. Top end disc groupsets with electronic shifting have good looking hoods (they look like regular hoods), but the lower end hoods for mechanical shifting are not to my liking.

That said, please don't make this about rim vs. disc.

Arph

by Arph

I can think of the Kona Zone carbon (made by Dedacciai), from 2014 - 2015. It was named Zone One and Zone Two depending on the build (the "Zone" was an aluminium bike). I considered it before getting my Kinesis.

I know the request is carbon, but there were also Ti options: Kona Essato (made by Lynkskey who had something similar in their range), Seven still makes the RedSky, etc.