Carbon frame with fendermounts?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

eli76141

by eli76141

I´m looking to build a winterbike with fenders. I haven't found a frame that meets my requirement. Does anyone know of a frame with the following?

1. Carbon frame
2. Rimbrake
3. Fendermounts (fenders must be attached with bolts to the frame, no zipties, straps or velcro)
4. Clearance for 25 mm tires and fenders
5. Racegeometry

All requirements must be met. Does it exist?

I live in northern europe. We have a lot of rain and dirty roads during winter. So the fender solution must be durable and sturdy.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

Ribble Endurance SL has all the above (I think)

I'm in teh same boat but want discs too. The only bike I've found is the Ribble.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

A second hand Dolan Dual?

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/dual-frameset/

Not a super racy geometry but more aggressive then the usual endurance bike.

bobones

by bobones

CampagYOLO wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:55 am
A second hand Dolan Dual?

https://www.dolan-bikes.com/dual-frameset/

Not a super racy geometry but more aggressive then the usual endurance bike.
That's been my main winter bike since 2018. Shame they stopped making them due to popularity of discs. The frame cost me less than £500 but it's been a joy to ride and perfect for the job. Looks like the Ribble Endurance SL would be a good alternative but more expensive. I would highly recommend alumimum guards like the Kinesis Fend Off here as plastic ones all break eventually.

51566410965_35194dfdb6_k.jpg

bobones

by bobones

Dannnnn wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:26 am

I'm in teh same boat but want discs too. The only bike I've found is the Ribble.
I think there are a few more options for disc brake bikes, for example, I believe the trek Domane has hidden fender mounts and Giant Defy too perhaps.

kervelo

by kervelo

Cervelo Caledonia

Dannnnn

by Dannnnn

bobones wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 12:57 pm
Dannnnn wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 10:26 am

I think there are a few more options for disc brake bikes, for example, I believe the trek Domane has hidden fender mounts and Giant Defy too perhaps.
They're not as racey as the Ribble though

eli76141

by eli76141

Dolan Dual is a very good suggestion. I will keep an eye on the secondhand market. Any suggestions for secondhand websites in UK? Doesn't seem like it had a wide appeal outside the UK.

@kervelo; does it exist with rimbrakes?

Ribble Endurance SL looks like a really interesting suggestion as well. But 1.500 GBP is pretty steep for a framekit for winteruse.

CampagYOLO

by CampagYOLO

eli76141 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:32 pm
Dolan Dual is a very good suggestion. I will keep an eye on the secondhand market. Any suggestions for secondhand websites in UK? Doesn't seem like it had a wide appeal outside the UK.

Ribble Endurance SL looks like a really interesting suggestion as well. But 1.500 GBP is pretty steep for a framekit for winteruse.
Just the usual places like eBay or Gumtree. Maybe the LFGSS forum.

Given by the lack of recent completed listings on eBay there wasn't much appeal in the UK either, probably why it's not available to buy new anymore.

bobones

by bobones

eli76141 wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 2:32 pm

Boardman SLR 8.9 fits the bill by the looks of it although i don't think they're sold as framesets only. eBay looks promising though.

There are a few groups on Facebook selling used bikes and parts and the Bike Radar forum is worth a look.

The Dolan Dual was always pretty niche: seems most people wanted a cheaper alu winter bike or a nicer Ti one. Dolan stopped selling the Dual and the alu Prefessio when disc brakes became the thing; however, they backtracked and started selling the Prefessio again due to popular demand.

Before the Dual I had alu Trek 1.5 and a Tifosi CK7 as winter bikes, but I longed for something lighter that didn't feel like I was riding an inferior bike to my summer rides. The Dual lived up to that and continues to be a great winter bike. I now also ride Ti and disc bikes in the winter, but the Dual has been a trusty companion for many a wet mile, and it's what I'd keep if I could only have one.

QuickGuards can also transform just about any bike into a winter bike without rattling or marring your paint. Not as good as full coverage fitted guards, but much better than the race blade or crud catcher types IMO. £24 each on Amazon now, and definitely worth considering as a robust and good looking mudguard option.

jch3n

by jch3n

Genuinely curious, why the choice of rim brakes for a rain bike? I have no strong opinion about rim brakes in dry/normal conditions. But for a dedicated rain bike? Disc brakes all the way....

bobones

by bobones

The OP wants rim brakes for whatever reasons. End of.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Older rim brake Trek Domane is the best option to my knowledge. Excellent mounting points and as much tire clearance as you will find in this format. Could probably be found second hand for a low price. Geometry won't be racy but with a long negative or slammed stem it can work. You won't be racing with fenders will you? Relaxed geo for the winter is acceptable.

If you can find a Trek Cronus Road or the earlier Gary Fisher Cronus, they are even better options. Lighter, stiffer, racier geometry, with all the tire clearance of the Domane and first class fender mounts. But they are rare.
jch3n wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:51 pm
Genuinely curious, why the choice of rim brakes for a rain bike? I have no strong opinion about rim brakes in dry/normal conditions. But for a dedicated rain bike? Disc brakes all the way....
bobones wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:27 pm
And options have been provided.
The usual reasons of wanting to use existing groupsets and wheels probably apply, but sharing additional info may be helpful to the OP, hence the inquiry from jch3n I assume. Perhaps the OP is unaware of the excellent cable operated hydraulic brakes such as Juin Tech, etc. Perhaps also unaware of the excellent disc carbon wheels from Farsports and Light Bicycle that can be had for as little as $1000.
Many of us love our discs, but if there ever was a situation in which disc truly excelled above other stopping systems, it is when you need to fit fenders and are on wet roads. Nothing wrong with a fully informed decision even if unsolicited. The OP can decide if it fits the budget.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

zmjones

by zmjones

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 12:21 am
Older rim brake Trek Domane is the best option to my knowledge. Excellent mounting points and as much tire clearance as you will find in this format. Could probably be found second hand for a low price. Geometry won't be racy but with a long negative or slammed stem it can work. You won't be racing with fenders will you? Relaxed geo for the winter is acceptable.

If you can find a Trek Cronus Road or the earlier Gary Fisher Cronus, they are even better options. Lighter, stiffer, racier geometry, with all the tire clearance of the Domane and first class fender mounts. But they are rare.
jch3n wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 9:51 pm
bobones wrote:
Mon Jan 30, 2023 11:27 pm
And options have been provided.
The usual reasons of wanting to use existing groupsets and wheels probably apply, but sharing additional info may be helpful to the OP, hence the inquiry from jch3n I assume. Perhaps the OP is unaware of the excellent cable operated hydraulic brakes such as Juin Tech, etc. Perhaps also unaware of the excellent disc carbon wheels from Farsports and Light Bicycle that can be had for as little as $1000.
Many of us love our discs, but if there ever was a situation in which disc truly excelled above other stopping systems, it is when you need to fit fenders and are on wet roads. Nothing wrong with a fully informed decision even if unsolicited. The OP can decide if it fits the budget.
domane rsl does. i've seen a few pop up from time to time. above category made some posts about that bike w/ fenders as well.

bobones

by bobones

Look, the OP had a straightforward query, broken down in a list, with the stipulation that all requirements must be met. One of those requirements was rim brakes.

Now, the disc advocates are second guessing him, and opining 'discs all the way', 'discs truly excel above all else in the wet', which would see some action from the mods if it were the other way round.

This isn't the place for another disc v rim debate, but I could rhyme off quite a few perfectly valid reasons why I'd prefer a rim brake bike to a disc one, get this, especially in winter. It's not black and white: there are pros and cons to each braking system, and the individual rider's priorities decides which is best to them.

Let's just answer the OP's question, but we can fire up that other big thread if anyone really wants to debate it, again.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com