Saddle advice: fighting numbness

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Ivan

by Ivan

I've tried a search but didn't get the answer I was looking for.

I've been riding Brooks saddles for over 20 years, mighty comfortable but "Big John" was numb on every ride, I just thought it was supposed to be like that. Started getting "private" problems few years back and so tested saddles with a cutout, Pro Stealth was the best for me. The thing is now, the numbness is still there and my problems are getting worse. A few weeks ago, I bought a ISM Pn 4.zero saddle, still numb down there. With all the testing, I learned that I can be comfortable on a lot of saddles, but I need one with a large cutout to give maximum pressure relief on the soft parts, I also have a fairly large saddle to bar drop, which isn't helping either I think. Anyone has any experience with this? Any saddles you could recommend for my specific problem? Does the superflow cutout from Selle Italia actualy works? Thanks.
He ride a bike instead of a car I wanna be his friend
Golden Earring - Going to the run

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Usually numbness down there is from the saddle being too far back.

Move your saddle forward a few mm at a time until you don't get numbness. This may result in other fit issues though.

It's good you have a cutout saddle, I find that helps a lot, but can't won't get rid of numbness if the saddle is too far back.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Usually numbness down there comes from a bad fit. If you have tried various saddles already it is your overall position the bike; not the saddle.
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

Ivan

by Ivan

OK, sorry, forgot to mention. I had a professional bike fit, numerous ones to be honest. A few as part of being in a road racing team (many moons ago) and the last one to adress the issue a few years back. All of them were within a few mm difference. I am now riding a sort of "average" position based on those. Also, the Canyon CF SLX I am riding now was the best fit for me but with the seatpost swapped for a non-setback. I can try shifting the saddle forward a bit but there isn't much room left.
He ride a bike instead of a car I wanna be his friend
Golden Earring - Going to the run

Xabi

by Xabi

I can do 6hours+ rides on any saddle, but indoor trainer hurts after 40 min.

I got this copy of specialized power pro from AliExpress and solved my indoor cycling problem. It turns out that it's cheap, light and comfy, now I use it outdoors on my gravel bike.
https://m.es.aliexpress.com/item/32957737646.html

Nickldn

by Nickldn

Ivan wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:52 pm
OK, sorry, forgot to mention. I had a professional bike fit, numerous ones to be honest. A few as part of being in a road racing team (many moons ago) and the last one to adress the issue a few years back. All of them were within a few mm difference. I am now riding a sort of "average" position based on those. Also, the Canyon CF SLX I am riding now was the best fit for me but with the seatpost swapped for a non-setback. I can try shifting the saddle forward a bit but there isn't much room left.
If your seat is already positioned forward then investigate tilt. A few degrees of tilt up, or down can work wonders for numbness. Go in small increments, you will feel the difference if it's right for you.
Giant Propel Advanced SL Red Etap 11s Easton EC90 wheels CeramicSpeed BB Zipp SL70 bars 6.5kg

Vitus ZX1 CRS Campy Chorus 12s Bora WTO 45 disk brake wheels Zipp SL70 bars 7.5kg

SL8 build with Craft CS5060 Wheels in progress

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Sorry to hear about Big John. Tell him there are a couple of saddles worth trying that are radically different than others that just might solve the problem.

SQ Lab has a shelf at the back and a big central depression. Sitbones can be perched on the shelf giving complete clearance to your undercarraige.

Infinity saddles are very radical - massive cutout. You are literally sitting on a strip of material that surrounds open space. Despite the bizarre appearance they are insanely comfortable. Must be tilted forward more than the instructions suggest. Go to the start of RAAM or any ultra distance race and you will see them. That tells you something.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Wed Apr 26, 2023 4:37 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Ivan wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 4:52 pm

Thanks for the feedback. In that case id try the SQLab 612 if you havent yet. Cutout saddles can have a contrary effect when the edges of the cutout put pressure on various nerves down there. SQLab has a money back gurantee so it should cost you anything i case it doesnt fit
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

RDY

by RDY

Nose down a few degrees and try a high rise stem to see if reducing saddle to bar drop makes a difference. Also I second SQ L - I run them exclusively now.

satanas

by satanas

Selle SMP are also worth a try, however their width recommendations based on waist size are dubious at best. With the right width and tilt I find them almost unnoticeable, not something I can say about anything else. However, there's quite a variety of widths and amounts of padding available so some trial and error may be required. The tilt can be super critical too, and of course YMMV...

GONE4ARIDE

by GONE4ARIDE

satanas wrote:
Sat Jan 28, 2023 7:44 pm
Selle SMP are also worth a try, however their width recommendations based on waist size are dubious at best. With the right width and tilt I find them almost unnoticeable, not something I can say about anything else. However, there's quite a variety of widths and amounts of padding available so some trial and error may be required. The tilt can be super critical too, and of course YMMV...
Selle SMP also has a demo program available through its dealers.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

As someone who is relatively new to road (but an old hand at mtb), I have found saddles to be both about overall bike fit and one's pelvic anatomy. Therefore, in addition to the usual advice around improving flexibility and core strength, I've had to focus on how my pelvis interfaces with the saddle.

My ideal saddle is both flat, as viewed from behind, and made from carbon. Flat properly supports my ITs without pressure into the perineum that a domed profile gives, and carbon allows me to really feel when my ITs are weight bearing, and the lack of padding stops me from sinking in and unwittingly causing pressure into my perineum.

Many of my riding buddies are surprised at what I ride, but I look at their contemporary saddle and wince.

Long story short, saddles are super personal, they are an important part of bike fit in and of themselves, and sometimes you have to go against conventional wisdom to get what works.

Also, someone above said to consider shoter reach, which might be true. But too short-a-reach for the given saddle to bar drop is probably going to make a "squished" arch of your back to hands.
Last edited by Kurt1980 on Sun Jan 29, 2023 6:01 am, edited 1 time in total.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Not to be rude, but i don't think you'll ever find a good saddle without trying them.
Nothing is as difficult as saddles.

For instance i can say, i really hate SQ labs saddles and SMP are useless if you like to move back and forth.
Does it help you, no, but you get the idea that some say these are great and i say the opposite but it's my truth.
I have myself been riding over 30 saddles as crazy as it sounds, i still wait for atleast one new release to come out which i will probably buy as quick as i can.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

bikeboy1tr

by bikeboy1tr

I have a selection of Smp but mostly Composit with various rail materials and although they would say I should have a wider saddle I run the 130 width as I have thick thighs which make for high friction on saddles with wider nose ends. I only run the nose down by a degree but it works for me and I have also removed the covers on all but one Composit just for less friction when going from an upright sitting pos to down in the drops. The SMP gives me enough hip rotation and relief for my back that I can get on the bike with a sore lower back and not notice it much once down the road. But like others are saying, saddles are a very personal thing and many times contrary to what some ppl tell you what should work often times dont.
For me the SMP is the one that works or at least anything that resembles the shape of the Composit.
viewtopic.php?f=10&t=154188
2018 Colnago V2R Rim Brake
2019 Colnago V2R Disc Brake
2014 Norco Threshold Disc Brake
2006 Ridley Crosswind Rim Brake

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

satanas

by satanas

According to the SMP chart I should be on a narrow saddle (~130mm), but I had terrible problems with saddle sores with the Evolution. It was okay for short rides of ~1 hour or so but killed me on audax rides. FWIW, I've found their 139-145mm saddles much better *for me*; I do not have thick thighs so friction from more width is a non-issue.

I've also found that having at least some padding is more comfortable than having none - but again YMMV. (un)Fortunately SMP offer quite a few variations on each basic shell shape, which means that potentially more trial and error is needed. C'est la vie...