Saddle advice: fighting numbness

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

jlok

by jlok

I have the SMP Full Carbon. It took me around 6 months to adjust and adapt. At the beginning i tilted the tip down, but then settled on a horizontal setup (leveling it based on the highest points at the front and back), just like a... saddle. It passed a short 3-day trip "test" so it's considered comfortable to me. Also, I thought I was sitting correctly at the trough but the fore-aft reference point should really be the middle of the straight slope. Coincidently the saddle is clamped at the middle of the rail.

I think OP should find a shop that provides saddle test / trial. I first sat on a Composite on a fitting jig.
Rikulau V9 DB Custom < BMC TM02 < Litespeed T1sl Disc < Giant Propel Advanced SL Disc 1 < Propel Adv < TCR Adv SL Disc < KTM Revelator Sky < CAAD 12 Disc < Domane S Disc < Alize < CAAD 10

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Sammutd88

by Sammutd88

Forget about saddles for now and go and see a doctor. You may have some nerve damage that needs to be resolved prior to getting back on the bike. I like the specialized saddle with mimic though, but sort out any physical damage first.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Back when i had a severe issue with my left knee, went to a center for issues releated to sport. They told me saddles were not really optimal if you don't sit at one spot, which they also doubted we did when cycling for hours. I can't really describe the conversation as english isn't my main language. But i guess the more we move (back and forth), the more potential issues arrise. None of the custom made saddles is made for "sliders". So i haven't gone down the route of a custom made saddle.
Bikes:

Ax Lightness Vial EVO Race (2019.01.03)
Open *UP* (2016.04.14)
Paduano Racing Fidia (kind of shelved)

Ex bike; Vial EVO D, Vial EVO Ultra, Scott Foil, Paduano ti bike.

ms6073

by ms6073

wheelsONfire wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 4:14 pm
None of the custom made saddles is made for "sliders". So i haven't gone down the route of a custom made saddle.
Agree. I am not on board with this short saddle trend. Yes, some of them are comfortable - Specialized S-Works Phenom - for a short period but for those of use who are used to using different positions for different terrain, for many these short nose, saddles with a rear ramp are not really that comfortable over the long haul. My wife really wishes Selle Italia would bring back the long, flat Prolink saddles.
- Michael
"People should stop expecting normal from me... seriously, we all know it's never going to happen"

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

I know I am repeating myself but let’s get a bit more anatomical. The OP can’t feel Big John. That strongly suggests interference, pressure on the pudendal nerve.
It is not uncommon for some cyclist to have a pudendal canal that is not deep enough, so the nerve doesn’t “clear” saddle pressure. By the same reasoning you can also understand how too much padding can press up into the canal and cause the same problem.

Often a flatter saddle with a central relief area can solve the problem. My brother had the identical issue as the OP, I gave him one of my SQ Lab saddles – problem solved.
Failing that a massive cutout as only found on the Infinity might do it.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Steve Curtis
Location: Hampshire UK, Dublin Ireland and Geneva Switzerland.

by Steve Curtis

You can buy a selle italia superflow Slr replica from AliExpress for £30. It's 110g and more hole than carbon.
It's a great place to star if you need to try something different.

I have one and it's comfy, but a touch wide on the nose for my liking. Totally useable and robust for road and gravel.

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

Steve Curtis wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:57 pm
You can buy a selle italia superflow Slr replica from AliExpress for £30. It's 110g and more hole than carbon.

I have one and it's comfy, but a touch wide on the nose for my liking. Totally useable and robust for road and gravel.
Depending on the cause of the issue, the Superflow can be a problem solver. But for some sufferers of cryo-penis, pressure on the sitbones equals pressure on the pudendal nerve. AFAIK, the Infinity saddle (E2 and E3 models) is the only saddle that has no sitbone contact which makes it unique in terms of providing relief for a range of saddle contact issues.
Last edited by Mr.Gib on Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:13 pm, edited 1 time in total.
wheelsONfire wrote: When we ride disc brakes the whole deal of braking is just like a leaving a fart. It happens and then it's over. Nothing planned and nothing to get nervous for.

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 8:03 pm
Steve Curtis wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:57 pm

Depending on the cause of the issue, the Superflow can be a problem solver. But for some sufferers of cryo-penis, pressure on the sitbones equals pressure on the pudendal nerve. AFAIK, the Infinity saddle is the only saddle that has no sitbone contact which is what makes it unique in terms of providing relief for a range of saddle contact issues.
This is true. However, it's a cheap way to rule out, or potentially confirm what does/ doesn't work. Even if it narrows down the search to the more extreme saddles you mentioned, it could be worth a shot.

I'll be honest and say, whenever I've experienced this issue it was down to my set up, rather than the saddle.

It's a terrible affliction to endure when all you want to do is ride your bike. I hope you find a solution.

ViperFFM

by ViperFFM

Mr.Gib wrote:
Tue Jan 31, 2023 7:38 pm
I know I am repeating myself but let’s get a bit more anatomical. The OP can’t feel Big John. That strongly suggests interference, pressure on the pudendal nerve.
It is not uncommon for some cyclist to have a pudendal canal that is not deep enough, so the nerve doesn’t “clear” saddle pressure. By the same reasoning you can also understand how too much padding can press up into the canal and cause the same problem.

Often a flatter saddle with a central relief area can solve the problem. My brother had the identical issue as the OP, I gave him one of my SQ Lab saddles – problem solved.
This.
carbonLORD wrote:
Fri Mar 12, 2021 12:23 am
I'm a CAT 3 Masters racer, not a dentist.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Then again, if he like to move back and forth some saddles aren't good at all. Might be great for a fixed position rider, but if you're moving (alot) it's very different.
Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

NickB

by NickB

Are you sure it's saddle? I'm a big guy and I worked out it was the tightness of clothing. The cycling world xxl is L. Try going for a ride in normal loose shorts or track suit bottoms. Short nosed saddles helped too. The ebay ec90/spec knock off being a cheap way of finding out.

wheelsONfire

by wheelsONfire

Bikes:

Open *UP* (2016.04.14)

Mr.Gib

by Mr.Gib

wheelsONfire wrote:
Thu Feb 02, 2023 9:09 pm
Then again, if he like to move back and forth some saddles aren't good at all. Might be great for a fixed position rider, but if you're moving (alot) it's very different.
Not sure to which saddle you are referring, but SQ Lab has more position options than just about any saddle. Three main options with a couple of variations of each. Crazy how much you can move around on it. The Infinity OTOH has just one main position, but you can change it up with more or less pelvic tilt.

I was out on my SQ Lab today after 5 days on the Infinity. The SQ Lab would be my choice for pudendal nerve entrapment syndrome. The Infinity could also work if the entrapment was more posterior as the sitbones are hanging in empty space. However the nose of the Infinity rises up and contacts the front of the perineum so could be an issue. Cool thing about the Infinity is that you ride for an hour and then realize you haven't got out of the saddle once. Just disappears under you.

Ivan

by Ivan

OK, first of all, thanks for all the advice. Yes, it's a weird and unpleasant problem to solve.

I've tried tilting my saddle both up and down (the nose) but this causes me to have lower back problems. I've been riding my saddles spot-on level for as long as I can remember and maybe I've adjusted myself to it. Anyway, never had lower back problems and don't want to go down that route. Tilting no option.

Second, tried sliding my saddle back and forth and mainly sliding my saddle back (more saddle to bar distance) seems to have an impact. The time it takes to go numb seems to be substantially longer. Right now, I am in the process of trying this solution with both my ISM saddle and my Pro Stealth.

Next step might be trying a new saddle. @Steve Curtis: you have any link for the Superflow Aliexpress version? Thanks

What I am also doing is lifting my butt in the air more often while riding, as a temporary quick fix. Do I feel a direct improvement "down there"? Sadly not, I fear that 20 years of numbness is not solved in a few weeks...
He ride a bike instead of a car I wanna be his friend
Golden Earring - Going to the run

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Steve Curtis

by Steve Curtis

I can't link to any specific ads as it depends where you are in the world. You find them but searching Selle Slr carbon.