36cm traditional bend aero bar - DIY?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fabianinduplo

by Fabianinduplo

Hhhhmmm, I always liked WR. Some nice products.

Overall my experience so far is not very encouraging. The summary so far:

1. Rob English declined
2. The German aluminium welder declined yesterday
3. No reply from Speeco --> I will try again as this one-off opportunity sounds great and I have seen one on instagram, so they exist :D !
4. No reply from Mythos
5. The German carbon guys require a frankly outrageous price --> I might discuss with them if I can sponsor the tooling and then get a share of revenues / profits in return
6. The EXS cockpit, although excellent quality / finish / specs on paper, is just too bulky looking for my taste
7. Jure - as always - is brilliant. He will send me a 36cm c-t-c Ritchey bar back soon so I can get started on my BMC TMR01

So after a few weeks I'm left with few options:
- have one-offs mady by Jure
- get through to Speeco
- heavily invest in tooling if the German guys are interested

Is it possible to have a poll here how much people would be paying for a traditional bend aero bar with 38 and / or 36 cm width? Just think of an aero Zipp SL 88 with forward sweep top section like this:

micky wrote:
Sat Feb 25, 2023 11:17 pm
Fabianinduplo wrote:
Fri Jan 13, 2023 4:32 pm
We have some progress:

Lets see how this works out!

Thank you all for the kind and productive feedback and information so far!
Time ago I got in touch with the guy managing WR Compositi bike section and asked about a traditional bend bar (not aero) in carbon as they are difficult to get.
He said they still have molds and could be possible to get something done.
No idea if by any chance they would be able to manage an areo version.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

physeter

by physeter

I really like the idea and would be interested , however in the era of integrated cockpit and short reach/shallow drop bars, sounds like a utopia

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Please post photos of the modified Streem bar when you have it. I have also been driving myself batty looking for an aero bar at 36cm wide. Different issues around integrating nicely with an older frame, but generally disappointed that there's not much out there.

Curious to see how this turns out.

Edited for spelling!

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Fabianinduplo wrote:
Mon Mar 06, 2023 11:34 am

1. Rob English declined
3. No reply from Speeco --> I will try again as this one-off opportunity sounds great and I have seen one on instagram, so they exist :D !
4. No reply from Mythos
5. The German carbon guys require a frankly outrageous price --> I might discuss with them if I can sponsor the tooling and then get a share of revenues / profits in return
6. The EXS cockpit, although excellent quality / finish / specs on paper, is just too bulky looking for my taste
7. Jure - as always - is brilliant. He will send me a 36cm c-t-c Ritchey bar back soon so I can get started on my BMC TMR01

- get through to Speeco

Is it possible to have a poll here how much people would be paying for a traditional bend aero bar with 38 and / or 36 cm width? Just think of an aero Zipp SL 88 with forward sweep top section like this:

micky wrote:
Fabianinduplo wrote:
We have some progress:

Time ago I got in touch with the guy managing WR Compositi bike section and asked about a traditional bend bar (not aero) in carbon as they are difficult to get.
Hi, any updates?

Finn

by Finn

Not aero handlebar but Nitto makes some nice handlebars in classic bend which are quite narrow on the hoods. For example B105AA-SSB and B135AA-SSB. Got myself 39cm B135 and on the hoods they measure approximately 31cm.

echappist

by echappist

Fabianinduplo wrote:

1. Rob English declined
4. No reply from Mythos

- get through to Speeco
I looked into this a few years ago, as I'm also a retro-grouch who wants things aero.

I did get through with Speeco a few years back, this is what I heard directly from its co-founder. With inflation and everything, probably tack on another 10% just to be safe.
For an ABB with a redesigned longer stem and custom drop the cost would come down to €1900. For a full custom ground up solution my first estimation is €3000, including prototype 3D prints, if you would like to go for that I will make a precise estimation of costs. I also need to add that because of all the attention the ABB got we are starting to have quite a long waiting list, but we can put easily option 2 on that list, for option 3 you will have to wait till we have caught up with that a bit.

As for safety standards the ABB will be tested conform the ISO4210 norm (standard bicycle equipment norm) and way beyond that norm, so option 2 will be covered. For option 3 we can offer the same, but the direct costs for us will be €2000, so we will have to add that. I would like note that none of our carbon fiber equipment (even prototypes) have failed so far, but the choice for an ISO test is up to you.
The options mentioned are as follows:
We can certainly develop something for you, there are a three of different options for this:
1. We build an ABB handlebar with your preferred drop

2. We build the ABB handlebar with a longer “normal sized” stem and your preferred drop

3. We start designing it from the ground up.
This was also why I started a poll back then, to see how much someone here was willing to pay (viewtopic.php?f=14&t=164479).

As you can see, very few people interested in paying above $500 for the bar, so that's where the issue is.

Kurt1980

by Kurt1980

Fabianinduplo wrote:

1. Rob English declined
4. No reply from Mythos

- get through to Speeco

micky wrote:
Fabianinduplo wrote:
We have some progress:

Bumping this thread and hoping to get a reply from the OP... did the Ritchey Streem bar ever eventuate?

keaton

by keaton

This could be a solution.

https://www.mythos.bike/shop

Any carbon mold development is going to be 3k+ for the mold, and more for the design

Or someone needs to find a deep contact at wilier or scott (cav and bardet seem to have traditional drop one piece aero bars, but seem like a little more reach than i'd personally like)
Attachments
mark-cavendish-bike-Wilier-3.jpg
Scott Foil colourway 2.jpg