36cm traditional bend aero bar - DIY?

Back by popular demand, the general all-things Road forum!

Moderator: robbosmans

Fabianinduplo

by Fabianinduplo

Thanks a lot! Hadn't seen that the traditional bend is now available.

Maybe the best option on the market but has a -10°stem angle, Deda bend and 140mm drop. Effectvely a much better Canyon H11 but still not ideal.

-10° means it points upwards which does not look great, especially on straight top tube bikes. I need at least -12° so stem / bar combos are the way to go I guess.

fidracer wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:14 pm
EXS Cycling makes a 38cm integrated aero barstem with a traditional drop.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fabianinduplo

by Fabianinduplo

Thanks a lot. Unfortunately not the shape I want. It is compact shape despite the good reach numbers.
Lakal wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:23 pm
What about the Vision Trimax Aero?
The 40cm version is 37,9cm C-C, reach is 88,8mm and 125mm drop.
It is also ACR compatible.

Fabianinduplo

by Fabianinduplo

Yes, not bad but he backsweep is annoying and the reach is very short so would require very long stems for me... But I like it as well.
spartacus wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 7:51 pm
This:

https://ritcheylogic.com/bike/handlebar ... -handlebar

But narrow, would be legit.

chuingbeans

by chuingbeans

physeter wrote:That would be very interesting. I'm currently on Pro Vibe pursuit ( 36 cm ) and I really like them except too much flare for my taste and I would also prefer a more traditional bend. However I'm quite happy with them. They are quite heavy but in the current market is for me one of the most appealing option
Agreed. If the flare was a more mild 2-4 degrees I’d still be on them. Then add a traditional bend drop? Even better.

C36

by C36

Fabianinduplo wrote:Thanks a lot! Hadn't seen that the traditional bend is now available.

Maybe the best option on the market but has a -10°stem angle, Deda bend and 140mm drop. Effectvely a much better Canyon H11 but still not ideal.

-10° means it points upwards which does not look great, especially on straight top tube bikes. I need at least -12° so stem / bar combos are the way to go I guess.

fidracer wrote:
Exs like other 1 1/4 options, have a 1 1/8 sleeve that allow to add/remove 2deg inclination, then you could have your -12deg.

alanyu

by alanyu

C36 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 8:31 am
Fabianinduplo wrote:Thanks a lot! Hadn't seen that the traditional bend is now available.

fidracer wrote:
Exs like other 1 1/4 options, have a 1 1/8 sleeve that allow to add/remove 2deg inclination, then you could have your -12deg.
They don't offer the +-2 deg sleeve now, only with the 0 deg sleeve. However, though the c-c angle is -10 deg, the stem upside is only 5 deg to the ground (72 deg HTA).

C36

by C36

Good to know but that’s not what they told me last time I asked them about bars availability. anyway making a sleeve (or using the Farsport one) will work since that’s what the 1/8 clearance gives you, 2deg

Fabianinduplo

by Fabianinduplo

Could you post a few pictures of the traditional bend EXS cockpit installed on your bike?

alanyu wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:25 pm
fidracer wrote:
I have one but it's deda shallow shaped, in sharp contrast to zipp sl 88 shape. Though I don't hate deda shallow, I also prefer sl 88 shape.

alanyu

by alanyu

Sure. I will upload some photos after I go back home.
Fabianinduplo wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 11:32 am
Could you post a few pictures of the traditional bend EXS cockpit installed on your bike?

alanyu wrote:
Wed Jan 11, 2023 6:25 pm
fidracer wrote:
I have one but it's deda shallow shaped, in sharp contrast to zipp sl 88 shape. Though I don't hate deda shallow, I also prefer sl 88 shape.

Fabianinduplo

by Fabianinduplo

2° would be a good start... Does anyone know where I could buy a sleeve? Could not find the Farsports one for order anywhere. Contacted them but seems to be overkill to procure a shim from China to Germany...

C36 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 9:29 am
Good to know but that’s not what they told me last time I asked them about bars availability. anyway making a sleeve (or using the Farsport one) will work since that’s what the 1/8 clearance gives you, 2deg

C36

by C36

I would then ask Lucendi to make you in 3d printing... will be coming from much closer. the Farsport option remains valid... you could even ask WW members with the F1 combo who might not be using their (I use mine... so can't help).

Fabianinduplo

by Fabianinduplo

Thanks, just did that! I might pull the trigger on an EXS traditional and try to make it work on my Pinarello F10. I'm now running a BMC ICS01 130mm combined with a Bontrager Aero XXX VR-CF in 38 and I'm not 100% happy with the bar's bends. On the other hand I'm afraid it might look too chunky...

C36 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:40 pm
I would then ask Lucendi to make you in 3d printing... will be coming from much closer. the Farsport option remains valid... you could even ask WW members with the F1 combo who might not be using their (I use mine... so can't help).

physeter

by physeter

Fabianinduplo wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 4:31 pm
Thanks, just did that! I might pull the trigger on an EXS traditional and try to make it work on my Pinarello F10. I'm now running a BMC ICS01 130mm combined with a Bontrager Aero XXX VR-CF in 38 and I'm not 100% happy with the bar's bends. On the other hand I'm afraid it might look too chunky...

C36 wrote:
Thu Jan 12, 2023 3:40 pm
That would be my biggest concern too with most of the inegrated cockpit nowaydays, your builds are classy; I think even on the Pinarello will look a bit on the chunky side

It's a bit disappointing that most of the called aero handlebars follow a similar patern: <80 reach and around 125mm drop.

spartacus

by spartacus

I guess for me, having gone to 36cm bars in general, I've become less and less worried about the aero tops. The bars aren't very wide (exposed to the wind) and for me, the main difference that I can actually feel is just due to the narrower bars. I rarely ride on the tops anymore especially after moving to shorter reach bars. It's funny because I clutched onto the traditional bend thing for so long, but now I guess I've come around to being an enjoyer of compact bends.

I can see why the short reach is an issue when you already have a 130 stem tho. I wish you luck on your search, futile as it may be... I think we are still early adopters of narrow bars.

by Weenie

Visit starbike.com Online Retailer for HighEnd cycling components
Great Prices ✓    Broad Selection ✓    Worldwide Delivery ✓

www.starbike.com

Fabianinduplo

by Fabianinduplo

Thanks!

I often find bars and stems the more elegant solution, hence this discussion about having a bar only. I tried many integrated cockpits and found most too chunky for my liking. Anyway, I might still try the EXS.

I'm currently building up an old BMC TMR01 with the integrated rim brakes. I want this to be super aero so it also requires a proper bar. And I would like to run it with a 3T ARX 130mm / -17° stem because on that frame everything that is not horizontal looks off.